C-sections

How did a second c section compare to the first?

I know everyone's experience will vary, but I've heard a lot of women say they found their second one easier than the first. I had one previously due to breech twins and was hoping for a VBAC this time, but now this baby is breech as well. I'm 34 weeks so there's still time to turn, but I'm pretty sure she's been in this position for a while and I suspect she's staying put, which means no VBAC. My first c section went smoothly and I had no recovery issues, but I'm concerned about recovery this time with twin four year olds AND a newborn.

Thanks for any input! :)

Re: How did a second c section compare to the first?

• In a way it was easier.  The pain was the same, but the second time I knew how to handle it better.  I knew to stay on top of the pain med  schedule, I knew I needed to get up aND walk even if I was uncomfortable, I knew to ask for a suppository when I hadn't pooped for a few days, I knew to let people help me if they offered, I knew I had to tell my husband to ask for additional time off as compared to the first time.
  • My 2nd was a much easier recovery than the first. I knew what to expect and how recovery would be. Also, it was scheduled, so I wasn't laboring for 18 hours before major surgery. 

I think it all came down to being prepared rather than it being a surprise. We could also prepare the oldest that mommy couldn't lift her for a little while, etc. so she did well, too!  Good Luck!!
    After 22 months TTC and the loss of our identical twins at 10w6d, we're excited about our rainbow baby!
    Stick, baby, Stick!
    Beta #1 (12dpo): 38.3; Beta #2 (15dpo): 202.7
    Baby Girl born 1/17/13
  • Loading the player...
  • So much easier, a lot less pain, faster recovery and less bleeding.
  • LoALoA member
    I had my 3rd c section almost 3 weeks ago. I will say, recovery time was easier with each kid... However, for me - each surgery was worse. For some reason my reaction to the medication was worse during each surgery. This last time, I was given a tube to throw up in during the surgery and pain meds for my chest because of the trapped air being so painful. I just felt like the medication made me have so much anxiety this last time. I am moving around a lot better and able to manage the pain better this time though :blush: 
  • happylady5happylady5 member
    edited April 2016
    I'm 9 days post csection and I think previous posters are right - surgery is same (takes a bit longer) but I was more prepared emotionally and mentally. My first one was unplanned so I was bitter, shocked and angry. I gave myself a pity party for too long and didn't get up and walk like they tell you too. I had a hard recovery. This go round, no pity party. I got up right away, did my walking, and I feel way better than I did at this point last time. Don't get me wrong, I'm still sore, weak and limited, but there's a big difference the 2nd time. 
    "Sweat is my sanity". Sarah Palin "Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised". Proverbs 31:30 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker