October 2016 Moms

Benadryl during first tri?

Im having a mild reaction to my PIO injection. Wanting to take some Benadryl to relieve localized itching. Has anyone been told that this is or is not okay during the first tri?

Re: Benadryl during first tri?

• it's on the list of safe meds I got from a friend who got it from her obgyn.  I took it when my allergies were so bad I was waking up to blow my nose.   

TTC #1 since August 2015
    BFP #1 January 28, 2016
    EDD October 3, 2016
    Felicity Joy, born September 2, 2016
    My Chart
    TTC #2 Since August 2020
    BFP #2 September 11, 2020
    EDD May 23, 2021

• It's on my list of safe meds from my doctor as well. If I'm not mistaken, I believe it's a category B med. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Also on my safe list from my doc.
  • Thanks y'all! 
  • It's a class B drug, so it's safe! The Ovia App really comes in handy with this stuff too. :) I've been living off Benadryl for the last week or so thanks to allergies and a terrible cold.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Married to DH for 6 years (together for 16)
    DS born 12.13.14
    DD born 10.15.16
    BFP 1.24.18, MC 3.13.18
    <3 BFP 4.25.19, EDD 12.31.19  <3

• I've taken it once already myself to sleep (grabbed the wrong unisom). As always, call your OB and make informed decisions.
    BFP: July 2013 M/C August 5, 2013
    BFP: October 22, 2013 EDD: June 21, 2014
    Baby boy arrived June 23, 2014

BFP: February 2016 EDD: October 17, 2016
  • safe. :) I was told I could take it for itchy injection sites 
  • bnsmith85 said:
    Im having a mild reaction to my PIO injection. Wanting to take some Benadryl to relieve localized itching. Has anyone been told that this is or is not okay during the first tri?
    I've taken it and it was approved for me.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• It's a class B drug, so it's safe! The Ovia App really comes in handy with this stuff too. :) I've been living off Benadryl for the last week or so thanks to allergies and a terrible cold.
    @nsquaredlife13 did the Benadryl help with your cold? I have a cold and my head is so stuffy but didn't think there was anything I could take to help. I've never taken Benadryl for a cold before! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited February 2016
    @cd92007 it did! I had a runny nose and some congestion, and an itchy throat which made me cough all the time. It actually helped quite a bit. I was told I could take guaifenesin (Mucinex) as well, but that's known to dry up milk supply and I'm still BFing my 14 month old. I took it once or twice when my cold first hit me, and tried to take it very sparingly. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Married to DH for 6 years (together for 16)
    DS born 12.13.14
    DD born 10.15.16
    BFP 1.24.18, MC 3.13.18
    <3 BFP 4.25.19, EDD 12.31.19  <3