May 2016 Moms
Options

High Blood Pressure - Talk me down please :)

Sorry for a whole post about this, but anyways.

Just came back from our checkup and baby boy is doing really well.

Mommy on the other hand, not so much, apparently.

I have super high blood pressure and doc wants me to monitor over this week and send in results.

If not better, he will either admit me for 48 hours or until baby comes. The latter is obviously the least favourable of the two. 

Any positive stories about blood pressure that was only a false alarm or that turned around. Any tips to get it down?

Stress is not going to help me so need some positive vibes ladies. 

Re: High Blood Pressure - Talk me down please :)

• Options
    I had some blood pressure issues with DS1 and had to do two 24 hr urine collections. However they didn't find any protein or anything abnormal which would indicate pre-eclampsia besides the elevated blood pressure. At this point I don't know my exact numbers, maybe just slightly over normal or ideal, but sometimes when I would check at home it would be higher. So I would try to do your best to relax and not worry too much until you have more conclusive information. Maybe watching your sodium intake could help but I don't really know if that's also true when pregnant.
  • Options
    kbrands7kbrands7 member
    edited February 2016
    Hugs and deep breaths! I think the likelihood of hospitalization depends on how high super-high is, and if it's accompanied by symptoms that point to things like pre-e.

By partway through my third tri with DS, I had noticeably higher blood pressure than my usual (130s-40s/80s vs 112/70 which I usually am like clockwork). I had to monitor my urine for protein daily with ketone strips and take my bp biweekly, but since I wasn't spilling protein, getting headaches, seeing spots, etc. I wasn't hospitalized and it didn't impact my pregnancy. It also went down to normal within a day or two of DS's birth. 

Have confidence in being monitored, and know that even if it requires a hospital stay, your doctor is being proactive about your health in addition to your baby's health. In the meantime, be sure to stay well-hydrated, rest when you can and do light exercise when you can. Also, try to be aware of stress-triggers and do what you can to minimize them.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have SUPER high BP every appointment. I had to do a 24 hr urine test to check proteins, and it came out fine. Now I need to check my BP at home. Dr said my daily results are fine. Seems like I have "white coat syndrome" where it sky rockets at the dr due to nerves. It is very possible you have the same.

I agree with @kbrands7, be thankful they are monitoring it and being proactive. But please know that just because it was high at your appointment does not mean there is necessarily an issue.

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    Jparke2Jparke2 member
    edited February 2016
    I've had high blood pressure readings my whole pregnancy. I usually read pretty high because of my anxiety, which spikes when I go to the doctors. They put me on medicine and I take my blood pressure several times a day and all is fine! I bring in my recordings to show them my readings when I'm calmer and at home, and it currently isn't a worry. I've also had times when my BP has seemed abnormally high and its been fine. I've either been really anxious at the time or just had a lot of sugar or something, and its always come back down. 

One suggestion is that if you are taking recordings at home, take several in a row and distract yourself while you are doing it. One of my issues is that I was so nervous and anxious about my BP being high that when I took it at home, my first reading was always high too. I'd take it four or five times right in a row, and it would go down to normal by the last couple readings. You might not have that issue, but I'm a general very anxious person so that was helpful for me! 

I know it's scary, I burst into tears a few times at the doctors because I felt guilty and scared about my BP, but most likely things can be controlled with medication if it even comes to that! 
  • Options
    They did take a sample of my urine and I will get the results this week. 

This is the first it was ever high - very laid back normally. But it can defs be a once-off, I am kind of hoping for that! 

I am thankful that they are being proactive and that baby is fine. Will also take it slow this week at work. Thanks for your feedback so far, making me feel better about it!
  • Options
    On a positive note - Alex has the most beautiful mouth! All pouty and full - sure he's gonna be a heartbreaker!! 
  • Options
    I had high blood pressure at my last visit. I am always anxious at the visits, and was meeting a new doctor which didn't help any. They set me up with the 24 hour urine collection test and blood work and switched me to bi-weekly appointments. I haven't heard about my testing results but have another appointment on Wednesday. I should find out more then. At first I was really worried about it, but I realized that my blood pressure reading was only 2-3 points higher than it normally has been. I've also been taking a low dose aspirin since 16 weeks in hopes of preventing pre-eclampsia. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    Mine are borderline. I'm fully expecting to have to get urine checked next week at my visit. 

I totally get the anxiety about it though! I got a monitor for home and ended up taking it back because it was reading about 20 points higher than my medical grade ones at my work read. 

And people saying stay calm just makes mine go up more...as if I don't know. 

Hope things go better at your next visit!
  • Options
    If you can, go buy yourself an electronic blood pressure cuff today. Take your resting readings before you get out of bed in the morning and after you've been laying down for a bit at night. If you have white coat syndrome, you will notice a significant difference in your readings at home. At home, I run as low as 105/60, but at the doctor I've never run anywhere below 150/90. 

Is medication an option for you rather than just immediate hospitalization? My OB put me on 200 mg of Labetalol twice a day. Medication is not the end of the world, especially if it can keep you out of the hospital. The medication keeps my BP very low at home, almost uncomfortably so sometimes, but it has no impact on it when I'm at the OB's office.

My perinatologist works with many women with high BP and the staff always takes 2 readings. One at the beginning and another mid ultrasound because you're so distracted by the baby. Even if women have a high initial reading, they never alarm you with the news. They just say nothing and come back for a second reading later. I've never left with an elevated reading from this office. Perhaps your OB could do this for you?

Also, when at home, lay on your left side. My mom was admitted for Toxemia with me and they kept her in this position constantly. When I feel my BP going up, I move to this position and I've seen it bring down my BP 20 points or more in relatively short time. I sleep almost exclusively in this position. 

Hang in there, high BP happens.
  • Options
    Like PP, I'm on labetalol (100 mg/2 a day) and have been since before getting pregnancy and through my first pregnancy. I had a 24 hour urine catch last pregnancy but nothing so far, my average bp has been 120/70 the entire pregnancy so the medication really does work at controlling it and I'm on the lowest possible dose.

If you're not spilling proteins you might just receive extra monitoring, which isn't a bad thing. I have monthly (soon to be biweekly and then weekly) biophysical profiles (BPPs) to make sure the baby is growing and fluid levels are where they should be. I know you're not the U.S. so maybe the protocol is hospitalization there? If you don't mind sharing, how high was your blood pressure?
  • Options
    lbachran said:
    If you can, go buy yourself an electronic blood pressure cuff today. Take your resting readings before you get out of bed in the morning and after you've been laying down for a bit at night. If you have white coat syndrome, you will notice a significant difference in your readings at home. At home, I run as low as 105/60, but at the doctor I've never run anywhere below 150/90. 

Is medication an option for you rather than just immediate hospitalization? My OB put me on 200 mg of Labetalol twice a day. Medication is not the end of the world, especially if it can keep you out of the hospital. The medication keeps my BP very low at home, almost uncomfortably so sometimes, but it has no impact on it when I'm at the OB's office.

My perinatologist works with many women with high BP and the staff always takes 2 readings. One at the beginning and another mid ultrasound because you're so distracted by the baby. Even if women have a high initial reading, they never alarm you with the news. They just say nothing and come back for a second reading later. I've never left with an elevated reading from this office. Perhaps your OB could do this for you?

Also, when at home, lay on your left side. My mom was admitted for Toxemia with me and they kept her in this position constantly. When I feel my BP going up, I move to this position and I've seen it bring down my BP 20 points or more in relatively short time. I sleep almost exclusively in this position. 

Hang in there, high BP happens.
    Are we the same person?! You just described my life exactly, even the meds. Only the nurses at my practice always make a big deal about my BP so I panic and the doctors, who know my situation, have to make me feel better about it!
  • Options
    @Jparke2, twinsies! The nurses at my OB are the worst at calming me down. I sometimes wonder how many of us are on meds just because someone at the practice has poor bedside manner. 
  • Options
    @lbachran I've heard two different nurses at two different appointments talking about my BP in the hallway outside the door. I know they are doing their jobs and see a high number and worry, but honestly, when they make a big deal about it, that only makes it worse. And I always tell them before they taken the reading too that it will be high and it is anxiety, so please don't be alarmed, and I've still had issues. I had an appointment a week after I started meds to see how they were working and to check my at home BP recordings, and I had a nurse say "well it shouldn't be that  high during pregnancy." I was like I KNOW, that's literally why I'm here! The doctor came in after and was like "oh, you are fine!!!" 
  • Options
    @Bltbear82 I believe it was 150 over something, I always forget to remember both. But it might have been 90? This morning it's 147 over 94. After sitting down for a couple of minutes and then taking it again, it went up to 166 over 99. 

• Options
    I had very high BP with my last pregnancy from about now until the end when I was induced. When you take your BP at home, do it at least twice. Make sure when sitting that your feet are flat on the ground and arm is relaxed. No talking, etc. I always did it in a dark space as well. 

I saw my docs weekly and was given NSTs regularly as well. Was in and out of the hospital for monitoring but never admitted. It's very scary but sounds like you have good people working with you! I was on bed rest for a while too but that didn't help much for me so we finally decided to induce at 38 weeks. My son is now a happy and healthy (and extremely energetic!) 21 month old. 

The first/top number is an indicator of stress. The bottom number is what is most concerning I was always told. Do everything you can to stay relaxed and the less activity at home and work the better. Good luck! 
  • Options
    @Charissadeat, try taking it before you ever get out of bed. I keep the bp cuff in my nightstand. Not sure if you have anyone in the house to help you, but I have noticed that I get higher readings when attempting to place the cuff myself. If your numbers remain high, really, see if medication is an option. 

@Jparke2, have an appointment this morning and will be thinking of you when the nurse inevitably makes her "High again..." comment and redoes my bp 20 seconds after she first took it. (Because 20 seconds, that'll fix everything!) Hope you're well twinsie!
  • Options
    @lbachran Oh my god, we really are twins, i also have an appointment this morning!!! Good luck!
  • Options
    The pharmacy in the shops across from us does it for me :) my readings went down a bit from this morning. So that's good and doc is actually following up with me, which is also good. I am lucky to be in right hands. 
  • Options
    I'm taking medication and have to watch my sodium intake. This means I have to literally plan and cook all my meals. Can't buy anything on the go. I use a salt with 70% less sodium to cook all my meals with and buy all my groceries with no added salts. This was pretty horrible in the beginning as I also have GD so I'm also on low sugars/carbs lol but I am so used to it now. Flavorless food lol anything for my baby girl. One postive thing about this is, that I haven't gained any weight. In fact, I've lost 17 lbs! 
  • Options
    Op, how's your bp? 

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    It has been very high the entire week, but on Friday it was somewhat normal (127 over 77). I need to keep it calm and DH is very helpful. My urine sample was normal. So I am happy! Will just keep the doc updated!! Thanks @yogahh