March 2016 Moms
Options

contractions?

edited February 2016 in March 2016 Moms
I am 35 weeks as of today. The past 2 weeks I have been having INTENSE pains in my lower pelvic area , starting in my lower back and wrapping around. I went to the doctor and he told me my cervix was still thick and closed. He said they "MAY BE" contractions, like my body is getting ready. Today I had random spurts of  pain in my lower back, all the way across that brought me into INSTANT tears and it was throbbing. Would that be considered contractions? 

Re: contractions?

• Options
    Is it a throbbing pain like someone is stabbing you, and it's pretty debilitating?  If so, that may actually be bad positioning from baby.  I had that at 32 weeks, and it was so painful it was making me sick.  The LO was stuck in a bad spot under my round ligament.  I did hours of playful puppy pose and it was instant relief once he moved.

Contractions can be very intense, but they start slow, swell like a wave, peak, and then fall away.  At least for me that's how it goes.
  • Options
    The first thing you described sounds like contractions.  Do they happen after sex?  I sometimes get painful, very 'real' feeling contractions after sex.  Do they get better if you drink lots of water or take a warm shower?  The second thing you are describing does sound like round ligament pain to me too.  Or some other kind of discomfort caused by the baby's position.  
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    They're most likely Braxton Hicks if they aren't regular. I've been hooked up to monitors twice now at L&D with contractions like what you are describing, but because of their inconsistency and the fact that there are some thrown in there that I don't feel, they aren't a concern for pre term labor. I'm also "high, tight, and thick". Your body is just preparing. Isn't it totally fun? Not!
  • Options
    I had to go to the hospital for a NST on Friday and I was having contractions, regular, steady. But I didn't feel them at all so they were concerned about pre term labor. I do get very uncomfortable Braxton hicks when I over do it now. Dishes are the absolute worst! It's my lower back and tightness in my tummy and I have to do them is sessions.