TTC after 35
Options

UR appt yesterday with SA results

So the long awaited appt was yesterday & we finally got numbers. Count was 18mil & motility was 20-25%. The dr. called this "sub-fertile" not "infertile" and said the #'s could improve. So somewhat hopeful. Has to give another SA next week, and then another in 3 months and then we'll go from there. I believe I'm going to change OBGYNs in the meantime & see if some preliminary testing can be done on me while we wait.

Now I need to vent...the doctor went through all the standard questions about if DH has had any surgery, has ever gotten anyone pregnant, etc...and then asked if he had ever taken testosterone supplements. To my surprise, he says yes. The doctor asked him when he stopped & he said 4 months ago! This is news to me? I knew he was taking B-12 shots, but he apparently was taking testosterone at the same time...which could potentially act as a male contraceptive. I asked him why he didn't tell me & he said he didn't think it was a big deal & never thought about it? What?! Says he was taking it for energy & stamina & wasn't taking a high dose so didn't think it was that big of a deal. The doctor says it could take 8-12 months for it to fully get out of his system, and that that could be what was causing the low numbers, but we won't really know until then.  You guys, I just want to cry. Actually had quite the breakdown last night. I don't think he intentionally misled me, but I still feel a sense of betrayal & I'm not quite sure how to deal with this. I think he thinks I'm overreacting but I can't help that I'm a ball of emotion. Not to mention AF should be arriving right on time on 2/14 so let's add that to the mix. And he had the balls to point out that my face was breaking out last night. Not a smart move little buddy....

Thanks for letting me get that out. Gah, sometimes life is just a little difficult!

Re: UR appt yesterday with SA results

• Options
    Im sorry the SA news wasn't better, but like you said too it not infertile so there is still a chance it will improve. in regards to the testosterone, I totally get how you are feeling. Id feel the exact same way. Knowing men the way I do however I will say that he probably honestly didn't think there was any reason for concern, or that it would effect fertility in a negative way. Men literally don't think these kinds of things through. He probably thought it would be good for his energy/stamina like you said and I bet he thought of it more like a multi vitamin which is why he probably didn't mention it to you. In no way am I excusing him, but just trying to see it from his point of view. Id be super pissed too if it was my husband so I think your feelings are totally justified. At least it does eventually get out of his system so there is hope that his numbers will turn around once it does (Silver lining?)
    Hang in there!
  • Options
    Omg @kaessi! This could totally be why numbers and motility are lowered! I'm so sorry :(
    I'm guessing your man had no idea. I think it's safe to say most men are misled into thinking more testosterone is a good thing, without understanding the negative side effects. Eff! I am so so sorry, I'd be pissed and crying too...you're emotionally invested on every level. 

the good news is, you're working with a UR now, and there are supplements and diet to help encourage an increase in male fertility. It sucks that it could be lowered now due to the testosterone supplements, but it's good to know it's not a structural issue. 

Hang in there. This journey is really hard and even harder when you're facing additional challenges. 
    Don't lose hope. 
    I think it's a wonderful idea to get looked at by a new OBGYN for testing on your end. At the very least it will give you peace of mind knowing you've explored your health further. 

Hopefully it won't be 8-12mo. 
    I really hope it's a lot sooner. 
    How long have you been TTC? Sorry I forget everyone's details. I'll try and look back at your posts. 
    Xo
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks @rspalding001 & @thistle8677 ! I really appreciate the support. I think y'all are right, I truly don't think he thought he was doing anything wrong. And logically I can understand that, but the emotional part of my brain is having a hard time coping! Men are just different creatures!! We're leaving to go out of town tonight for his birthday/Valentine's weekend trip & I'm trying desperately to pull my act together before then so I don't ruin it for us both. Gonna give it a good shot anyway! 

And @thistle8677 - we have been TTC since 9/14, but by timing only. Meaning during what I've believed to be my FW (based on CM) we BD almost every other day. We have a pretty good BD cycle most of the month anyway so timing shouldn't be off by that much. I did try an OPK this cycle & will start temping/charting in addition next month as well. Although it intimidates me! 
  • Options
    @KaessiYou know what usually helps improve my mood? Wine :-) Lots and lots of wine :-) ha ha ha, just kidding, sort of, well not really ;)
  • Options
    @Kaessi - I'm so sorry the numbers are low but you at least have an explanation with discovering your H was taking testosterone.  Do people get that over the counter?  My H is so anti-meds that I would know if he took anything because it would have to be a good reason for him to take a pill of any kind.  So I totally get where you are coming from in being a little hurt that he didn't mention it.  But if he's into supplements and stuff, then it isn't out of the realm of possibility that he just didn't think it was a big deal.  Definitely give him the benefit of the doubt on this one, and now that you know what was going on maybe now you will be on the right path and the counts will improve quickly!  

Hope you have a great V-Day weekend getaway!  
    Me: 41
    Husband: 40
    TTC#1 since 9/2014
    Unexplained Infertility - Trying naturally
  • Options
    As my SO and I are in cycle 4 with good timing I am starting to think about SA for us (I had everything but HSG done two years ago and everything was normal). The scientist in me wondered if we could just do the SA at home and I came across this site. I thought it had some helpful information regarding normal ranges and such. Just in case anyone else wanted to nerd out too :) 

https://www.gfmer.ch/Endo/PGC_network/Semen_analysis_rrumbullaku.htm

Me: 39 SO: 36

Dx: low progesterone, possible DOR - officially "unexplained"

TTC#1 since November 2015
    9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN
    1/21/2017 Clomid/IUI#3 - BFN
    March 2017 IVF: BFP! (beta#1 191, beta#2 378!) - it's a boy! DS born 12/6/2017

TTC #2 since July 2018
    May 2019 IVF #2: BFP! (beta#1 346, beta#2 646) - vanishing twin at 8 weeks. Baby B still going strong - due 2/8/20!
    Pregnancy Ticker