1st Trimester
Options

Mad dad

santanaannasantanaanna member
edited February 2016 in 1st Trimester
I'm 7 weeks today! I'm 20, married, and we own our own house. My husband and I are so happy we are expecting! I told my mom today, at first she was shocked, then she was kind of ok with it, then she said 'how are you going to tell your father?' He's going to be so mad. He's still mad that we got a dog, he's still mad about the second dog. There's nothing I can do to please him! My older brother has 2 children and my dad was so happy for them, but when it comes to me nothing is good enough! Has anyone been through something similar? I have no clue how to tell him and I cry easily so it's going to make it worse! 

Best Answer

Answers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    The only thing he has said about why is because they are another mouth to feed @FinePlacentaPie
  • Options
    Why is he concerned about more mouths to feed? Are you and your husband employed full time, students, or what?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    The only thing he has said about why is because they are another mouth to feed @FinePlacentaPie
    Does he financially support you?  If not, I don't understand why he would be upset that you are going to have another mouth to feed..
  • Options
    @tripledaggerWed95976 @purelex
    We both have well paying full time jobs! I don't understand him and I'm trying to not get too stressed out
  • Options
    My dad has told me that he doesn't want us to have kids for a few years
  • Options
    Perhaps he just feels that you're young and maybe wanted you to have a few years without the stress of children. Not saying that's right or wrong, but that's where I assume his thought process is. Is your brother older than you? Everyone is going to have their opinions. Better to get a thick skin about it now. If you and your husband are happy, then that's all that mattes.
  • Options
    @PinkLady2015 my brother is about 10 years older than me but he would have been 22 when his wife had their first baby. Like I get that we're young but we are really mature for our age and we are doing better then both of our parents were when they had us.
  • Options
    Yeah, I agree with PinkLady... in any case, it sounds like you and your husband are in a good place and you should be happy and excited! He will come around in time so I wouldn't stress too much.  I am the red-headed stepchild between me and my brother, as well, but my dad was excited after he had a little time, even though I only heard it second hand from my mom :wink: 

As for telling him....I don't have too many suggestions other than to just put it out there, explain that you are happy, give him space to process the news if he needs it and don't be upset if he isn't over the moon immediately.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    You're an adult. Don't let your dad treat you that way. You need to stand up to him and make him realize that he has no control over your life (what do you mean he wants you to wait to have kids? that is none of his business). If he takes it badly, I wouldn't have contact with him until he grows up and realizes that his daughter is a grown woman capable of making her own decisions without his approval. 

WORF: I did not come here to admire the scenery. 
    DAX: If you say so. I guess we should just go home. 
    WORF: Well maybe. I would not be so hasty. 
    DAX: I take it the scenery has improved? 
    WORF: A few months ago, when I was commanding the Defiant on a scouting mission in the Gamma Quadrant, we encountered a protostar cluster, a swirling mass of colour set against a background of glowing clouds and burning sky. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen, until now. 
    DAX: I've got to take you on vacation more often. 

• Options
    He will come around. When he sees how happy you are, he will be happy for you. Parents just want whats best and sometimes thats not what happens but when it really comes down to it your happiness is what matters. Congrats on your great news!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers