1st Trimester

8 weeks, getting positive and negative hpts

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas what could be going on with me and if I should still be treating myself as though I am pregnant. Fluid started coming from my nipples when squeezed the week of my missed period, I have never had this happen before, I took a couple hpt's which were all negative. Three days before my period was due I had some bleeding that lasted less than 10 hours, after this just some dark stringy discharge. A week after my missed period I took a positive digital pregnancy test, I also got a negative digital the next day. I got a blood test from my doctor a few days later which was also negative (not quantitative). The next week I had another positive pregnancy test. I am now 8 weeks past my last period (missing my second). The doctor said I am not pregnant because of the blood test and I took a blue line test last night which was negative. I was told they don't know why I was having positive tests and offered me medication to start my period, I'm scared to take it if I actually could still be pregnant. I'm 28 years old and have never had issues with late or missed periods before. Has this happened to anyone else during pregnancy? I was told it could have been chemical but shouldn't I have started bleeding at some point? Also I'm sorry if this is not the board I should be posting on, please let me know if I should be posting this somewhere else.

Re: 8 weeks, getting positive and negative hpts

• I'm sorry you're going through this.   Your post is extremely confusing, but I will say that if you have had a negative blood test then you were, without a doubt, not pregnant at the time you were tested.  Beta draws are not subjective- if your doc says you're not pregnant then you are not pregnant.  However, if you still feel something is wrong then you should call your doc back-  maybe he can provide more insight for u? I wish I could be more help- I just know that if you have had a negative blood draw then you are not pregnant :-(
     Best of luck to you
  • So, if I understand correctly, it sounds like at about what would've been 5 weeks pregnant (a week past your missed period), you got a negative blood test at your doctor's office? At 5 weeks, if you were truly pregnant, you would've gotten a positive result, IF you ovulated "on time."
    Now, since you had bleeding the week before that, even though it didn't last long, I suppose it's possible that that was your period (or you had a brief chemical pregnancy) and you've conceived since then, but you said you got a negative result last night? Is it possible that you're using urine that's too diluted? Are you drinking a ton of water? Typically, if you're early in your pregnancy, you should use first morning urine so it's concentrated and not too diluted. And if I'm following the timeline, if that 10 hours of bleeding was your period you would be, what, five weeks now? Again, if you ovulated "on time" *(around CD14), then you would be consistently getting positive results. BUT if you ovulated later than expected, then it's possible that you're pregnant and your urine was just too diluted to show positive in the evening.

My advice: Take a First Response or some other sensitive pregnancy test with your first morning urine. IF it comes back negative, you are not pregnant. IF it comes back positive - even if the line is very faint - go back to the doctor and insist on a quantitative HCG test. Tell them that you're concerned because you may have had a chemical pregnancy last cycle and you want to find out if things are progressing. 

Hopefully this helps, and I hope you get it figured out. I'm sorry you're going through this; it sounds terribly stressful.
    Me: 25  DH: 28

Hubby's little boy - my wonderful step-son - born 5/23/10
    BFP#1: 06/2010...my beautiful baby girl born 3/7/2011
    BFP #2: 10/24/15...mc on 10/31/15
    BFP #3: 11/27/15. EDD 8/6/16

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill
  • Loading the player...
  • No false positives. You are def not pregnant. The nipple discharge could be related to PECOS and so is your period irregularity. I would go talk with OB. Check for hormonal issues.
  • So, if I understand correctly, it sounds like at about what would've been 5 weeks pregnant (a week past your missed period), you got a negative blood test at your doctor's office? At 5 weeks, if you were truly pregnant, you would've gotten a positive result, IF you ovulated "on time."
    Now, since you had bleeding the week before that, even though it didn't last long, I suppose it's possible that that was your period (or you had a brief chemical pregnancy) and you've conceived since then, but you said you got a negative result last night? Is it possible that you're using urine that's too diluted? Are you drinking a ton of water? Typically, if you're early in your pregnancy, you should use first morning urine so it's concentrated and not too diluted. And if I'm following the timeline, if that 10 hours of bleeding was your period you would be, what, five weeks now? Again, if you ovulated "on time" *(around CD14), then you would be consistently getting positive results. BUT if you ovulated later than expected, then it's possible that you're pregnant and your urine was just too diluted to show positive in the evening.

My advice: Take a First Response or some other sensitive pregnancy test with your first morning urine. IF it comes back negative, you are not pregnant. IF it comes back positive - even if the line is very faint - go back to the doctor and insist on a quantitative HCG test. Tell them that you're concerned because you may have had a chemical pregnancy last cycle and you want to find out if things are progressing. 

Hopefully this helps, and I hope you get it figured out. I'm sorry you're going through this; it sounds terribly stressful.
    Thank you for your advice, I could not have gotten pregnant after the small amount of bleeding because I have not dtd since then. I did use diluted urine with my last test, it was late at night, but the other positive tests I had were during the night as well. My cycles are normally around 25-28 days so today marks 53 days since the start of my last real period. I do have an appointment for next week with a obgyn so hopefully they can give me some answers. It's just strange because my doctor said they thought the bleeding could have been from implantation and both of my positive tests occurred after that.
  • I'm sorry you're going through this.   Your post is extremely confusing, but I will say that if you have had a negative blood test then you were, without a doubt, not pregnant at the time you were tested.  Beta draws are not subjective- if your doc says you're not pregnant then you are not pregnant.  However, if you still feel something is wrong then you should call your doc back-  maybe he can provide more insight for u? I wish I could be more help- I just know that if you have had a negative blood draw then you are not pregnant :-(
     Best of luck to you
    Thanks for your response, when I talked to my doctor this week I was told they had no idea why I had gotten positive tests and they only offered me medication to start my period. I'm just concerned that something could be going on that could be a serious health issue since the blood test was negative.
  • Glow360 said:
    No false positives. You are def not pregnant. The nipple discharge could be related to PECOS and so is your period irregularity. I would go talk with OB. Check for hormonal issues.
    Thanks, my hormones were actually checked because my doctor was concerned about the nipple discharge and the possibility of a pituitary tumor or hormonal problem but everything came back normal. That was before any of the positive pregnancy tests, so the whole situation is very strange.
    Bjensen3 said:

• Weird, maybe wait maybe it's a miracle babe lol if you think your pregnant don't take those pills get second opinion 
  • 1) most HCG blood test will show a positive at 25 miu, some even consider anything over 5 miu (depending on the lab). So if you had a negative beta last week, there is no way you could be 8ish weeks pregnant.  

2) you stated you had a positive digital,  can you confirm when that was? And what brand? 

3) periods/ cycles are regular,  until they are not. It is not uncommon or unusual to have one weird crazy cycle now and then.

4) nipple discharge is not a normal early pregnancy sign.  Nipple discharge; of it occurs during pregnancy,  usually occurs in the 3rd trimester.  Nipple/breast pain/tenderness is a normal early pregnancy sign. 

5. I would ask your OB at your F/u visit for another Beta test, but quant. That way you know the number and can be with out a doubt one way or another. 
  • 1) most HCG blood test will show a positive at 25 miu, some even consider anything over 5 miu (depending on the lab). So if you had a negative beta last week, there is no way you could be 8ish weeks pregnant.  

2) you stated you had a positive digital,  can you confirm when that was? And what brand? 

3) periods/ cycles are regular,  until they are not. It is not uncommon or unusual to have one weird crazy cycle now and then.

4) nipple discharge is not a normal early pregnancy sign.  Nipple discharge; of it occurs during pregnancy,  usually occurs in the 3rd trimester.  Nipple/breast pain/tenderness is a normal early pregnancy sign. 

5. I would ask your OB at your F/u visit for another Beta test, but quant. That way you know the number and can be with out a doubt one way or another. 
    The blood test was actually about a week after my missed period so about three weeks ago. The positive digital I had before that was the target brand. The line test I got a week after was on a first response test.
  • Wow this sounds like a difficult experience. I would definitely suggest like others talking about this wth your dr at your f/u appointment. Cycles can vary such as if you have been using bcp and stopped or diet and weight changes but sadly I can offer no advice other than what pp have stated that I would go with the blood test and then talk to a dr when you can.
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• My fiances mom had this exact same thing happen to her when she was pregnant with him! She even tested negative on blood tests. Never let go of hope because the body is a sport weird place. I personally probably would not take the medicine, I would wait a little bit longer! Good luck to you, either way, what is meant to happen will happen :-)
  • Wow. That is incredibly confusing! If I were you, I'd wait a couple of days and take another test with first morning urine if your period doesn't show. Make sure it's a pink dye test (Like First Response) or a digital (pregnant, not pregnant.) Sometimes blue dye tests can give false positives. The Up&Up brand are blue dye tests (or all the ones I've taken are. I'm not sure if they make two types?)

Maybe you could contact a midwife/OB that has more experience. They're not as likely to blow off your concerns as a regular doctor are. Unless you were seeing an OB and I missed it. 

Baby 1 - 10/2010 | Baby 2 - 8/2012 | Baby 3 - 6/2014 | Baby 4 - EDD 8/2016 - MC 12-27-2015 | Baby 5 - : 9/2016

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The blood test would have come back positive from the point of implantation so It sounds like you had a chemical pregnancy. Sometimes with a chemical pregnancy your 'period' can be much shorter (they're always different) so that could have been what happened with your 10 hours of bleeding. I'm sorry. Keep trying! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers