May 2016 Moms
Options

Positive fetal fibronectin test

Does anyone else have experience with this?

All day today I experienced cramping and pressure so I called my dr. and they had me come in. My cervix is firm and closed (side bar: no one warned me and told me having your cervix checked is painful. I wasn't ready). But, I tested positive for preterm labor. I've been told to take things slow and not to exert myself. I go back in a week and they'll retest and decide if full on bedrest is necessary. 
Of course I googled and started worrying. I'm guessing they held off in bedrest because the contractions had stopped and my cervix wasn't dialated. False positives occur so I'll have better info in a week but my anxiety is going to be through the roof until then. 
Hoping you guys can provide me with some personal experiences. 
Me: 31 | DH: 33
DD: 05/14/16
Baby #2 EDD: 12/23/19

Re: Positive fetal fibronectin test

• Options
    Thanks @JennyS86 and yes they have a level 3 nicu and their close to a great children's hospital (named after a Super Bowl quarterback lol). I'm comforted by that. Just gonna take things easy and pray for a healthy babe. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @Charla1224 sorry, no advice just wanted to wish you well, rest up and good luck. Sounds like you have great healthcare on hand so try and relax, (easier said and all that) maybe some online meditation would help? Warm wishes 
  • Options
    I don't know much about the test, but I have heard that false positives are possible. Definitely give your doctor a call if anything feels different though! Better safe than sorry.

If you're delivering at the hospital I think you are, I've heard only wonderful things about the nicu so I would take some comfort in that! I was in the high risk unit there with DD for a week before she was born and the nurses were so sweet and awesome! 
  • Options
    I just read about this in my doctors prenatal "handbook" so to speak and it seems that even with a positive, your chances of preterm labor are fairly low. I know that's probably not super comforting and I would totally be as anxious as you are, but at least that's the hard facts as written in this particular literature! It also says it can't be done if you recently had a pelvic exam. Did they do the cervical check before or after? Maybe that's a factor? 

I'm sending you tons of t&ps for no preterm labor! Even though they didn't say it necessary, I would take it easy as much as possible and basically bed rest yourself whenever you can! Good luck! 
  • Options
    No advice to add, but I'm sending T&P your way!
  • Options
    It's kind of like the opposite of pregnancy tests. A negative means there's very little chance you'll go into preterm labor. A positive means there is a chance you may possibly go into preterm labor within 2 weeks, but certainly not for sure. 
  • Options
    I have no experience but sending good thoughts and prayers your way. Make sure to rest as much as possible and try to relax (even though we all know that is near impossible)!
  • Options
    No advice here, but sending you my positive vibes!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Take care of yourself and rest as much as you can! Praying for you! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Think of this as an amazing excuse to take care of yourself and relax! Sending warm thoughts, mama!
  • Options
    Keep hydrated and try to relax until your next appointment.  I hope everything goes well!  
  • Options
    No advice, just sending good thoughts your way!
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Fingers crossed!!!
  • Options
    JennyS86JennyS86 member
    edited February 2016
    Charla1224 Hey Lady - how are you feeling today?

So after responding to your post, I continued to feel cramping that began earlier in the day.  I talked to my MFM and OB office on the phone, and they wanted me to come in to triage to be checked because of my preterm labor history. 
    I spent about 3 hrs in triage, but I am home now.  I still don't really have an answer for my cramping - it wasn't contracting (in my opinion), but my cervix is still closed and long.  My ffn was negative today, but they still told me to return if my symptoms get worse.  I appreciated them not making me feel stupid/anxious for coming in and being sent home.  I personally can't tell the difference between BH contractions and real labor that I experienced preterm last pregnancy. 

There have been a few too many 24 to 27week preterm issues on the board lately, ladies!  Keep 'em cooking!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Mama to Three Girls: 
    Twins born March 2014 at 26 weeks due to preterm labor
    and our 37weeker born May 9th, 2016!

• Options
    Don't have any experience, but wanted to lend my support, also. Positive thoughts of health and happiness going your way!
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• Options
    Charla224, what did your cramping feel like? I'm 27weeks and have severe cramping and pressure in my lower abdomen that comes every few minutes and lasts a min or 2. This's been going on for two days now, the pain is so severe I can't sleep at night. When the pain comes I feel like I need to have a bowel movement or pee but I really don't need to. I did go to the hospital and they did the ffn test which came back negative and I don't have a uti, neither am I bleeding or leaking. They said it was round ligament pain but I don't know. It's so hard to stand up straight or do anything really because my lower abdomen is so very sore. Anyone experienced this?
  • Options
    @adaobifediora the cramps felt a lot like a stitch in my side. The kind you get when you're exercising and drink too much water. It was mostly in my back/ side. The pressure part I felt was as if I had a tampon in but it was sitting too low. Odd description I know. But that's the best way I can explain it. 
  • Options
    @charla1224 I am just seeing this post now. Wanted to send you positive vibes for you and LO. Hopefully it was all a false alarm, but if not, better they caught any issues now. Best wishes!

cat fail animated GIF