October 2016 Moms

Reading material

any good recommendations on pregnancy books out there? I have a few business trips and solo weekend coming up with lots of time to fill. Sometimes internet browsing can get overwhelming and I love holding old fashioned books to pass the hours. So far I am reading the cliche "what to expect when you are expecting" and "bumpology"

Re: Reading material

• I really like the Bump's Book of Lists for Pregnancy and Baby. It has info for weeks and then lists of to-dos and important info like what you need in vitamins, etc.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Don't forget to read: "Dude, you're going to be a dad!"  It's brilliant, real, and funny.  I read it when it was bought for my H and it's one of my favorites.

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Loading the player...
  • I did buy him that one and "caveman's guide to pregnancy" as part of how I told him. I don't know where he put them.....
  • von1976von1976 member
    edited February 2016
    I bought the Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy. So far I like it. The What to Expect book had terrible reviews. I know it's a classic, but I prefer something written by a clinician. 

I I bought my hubby the "Dummies" handbook for new dads. He powered through it, so it was either interesting or good. 

Anniversary

Baby GIRL born 9/16/201
    BFP! EDD 8/1/2019 CP 4w2d

• The Mayo Clinic one is good. Also, Pregnancy Sucks is a no nonsense, entertaining read. I didn't HATE What to Expect. I don't think it was as bad as people say, but do take it with a grain of salt.

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• @sparklegrump I agree  with  you! Everyone told me to burn it, but it wasn't terrible. I found it was a bit alarmist, and not as leaned towards natural child birth as I wanted but that's entirely personal  preference  on  my part.

I really enjoyed a few week by week guides to pregnancy to browse through and have something I can go pick up each week, and I really loved reading some of Ina May Gaskin's books. 
  • This isn't a pregnancy book but I'm reading a great parenting book called Simplicity Parenting right now. It's a really good read and wish I had read it before I had my first!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I loved the Baby Bargains book for reviews and suggestions for all the stuff you'll want and need.  (Make sure you get the most recent edition -can be found on their website.)
  • @von1976 @sparklegrump The Mayo Clinic book was my favorite too.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I've enjoyed the Mayo Clinic so far, and just started into Pregnancy, Childbirth & the Newborn: The Complete Guide. It seems pretty good, though I am only about a fifth the way through. I bought the two based off of these reviews

*************************************************************************************************************Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker