Toddlers: 24 Months+

Toddler diarrhea

Bare with me on this one.... My husband had recently decided to get very healthy. He went to a local farm and bought eggs and milk. The milk is unpasteurized. I asked him not to give it to our 3.5 year old. He did anyway. A few times. Yesterday and today she had really bad diarrhea but otherwise she's fine. I'm assuming this could be it? Should  toddlers have unpasteurized milk? 

Re: Toddler diarrhea

• Pretty sure kids should NOT have unpasteurized milk. Did you call the Pedi?
  • Raw milk is milk that hasn’t been pasteurized to kill harmful and sometimes deadly foodborne pathogens such as E. coli, Listeria, Salmonella and Campylobacter.

While many raw milk advocates say it has inherent nutritional advantages and even helps cure or ease the symptoms of ailments such as asthma and various allergies, most food-safety experts discount those claims as anecdotal, saying they’re not based on science. They also warn of the serious risks to human health associated with drinking milk that hasn’t been pasteurized.

The symptoms of E. coli O157:H7 infection typically include bloody diarrhea and other digestive-tract problems. In some people, this type of E. coli may also cause severe anemia or hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS), a complication in which toxins destroy red blood cells, which are typically smooth and round. The misshapen or deformed blood cells can clog the tiny blood vessels in the kidneys, causing them to fail.

Statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) underscore the potential dangers of raw milk. According to the agency, between 1998 and 2011, 148 outbreaks due to consumption of raw milk or raw milk products were reported. In those outbreaks, there were 2,384 illnesses, 284 hospitalizations and two deaths. Estimates from the agency put raw milk consumption at 3 percent of total milk consumption

https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2014/02/a-mom-and-a-dairymans-plea-dont-feed-children-raw-milk/#.Vr4Pq0-FPcs

• Loading the player...
  • Yikes. I'd call your peds for sure. My parents are all about giving raw cows milk or goats milk to my kids and I never let them. That makes me nervous.