1st Trimester

First Ultrasound...

Hello everyone!  I went to my first OB appointment yesterday.  I thought I was almost 7 weeks pregnant, but it turns out I'm only somewhere between 5 and 6.  On my ultrasound, they found no heartbeat and couldn't see an embryo.  All they saw was the yolk sac.  The ultrasound tech seemed kinda of suspicious and said "it's a good thing you haven't had your appointment yet so the doctor can talk to you about this."  I'm very worried now that this isn't normal.  I am going back in a little over a week for another ultrasound.  The doctor said it's very possible that I'm just very early and we will see next week whether there is something to worry about or not.  Does anyone have any advice on this?  Has anyone had a US at 5 or 6 weeks and seen nothing?  Thank you in advance for your help.

Re: First Ultrasound...

• At 5-6 weeks there's nothing to see other than a yolk sac.  That's part of how they are able to date a pregnancy well, by looking at how much development has happened so far.  Unless you were tracking basal body temperature, you very well could have just ovulated a little late and that would explain what they found.  Unfortunately, until next week there's no way to know whether this is the case or whether the embryo stopped growing somewhere around 5.5 weeks.  Hopefully you get some reassuring news and a heart beat next week.  
  • At my 5-6 weeks ultrasound there was no heartbeat yet either, same as yours. I went back in a week and there was a heartbeat. It might be too early. If you use the search function there are a lot of other threads on this with all different outcomes and answers that might help you. 
  • Loading the player...
  • It depends on if they did ultra sound tranvaginally or pelvic. If it was on top of abdomen, it could be too early to tell but transvaginally are detailed and accurate usually. If you have no pregnancy symptoms or lost them, that was my first symptom of early mc, I went in for ultrasound and they did both and said same thing. Blood tests confirmed it all and my cramping got worse, then light bleeding and so on and so forth. Most people miss calculate ovulation and are really earlier than what they think so you have to wait to hear from doctor. That just was my experience. I'm now 5 weeks prego again, crossing fingers. Keep us posted, hope all goes well and your just too early to tell.
  • I always thought that 5 weeks was too early to see the heart beating??
    At my 8 week u/s, which was my first, we were measuring about a week behind. We couldn't see the heartbeat, but she was in there dancing away.

Also, not having any symptoms is NOT a sign of miscarriage. At 23 weeks today, the ONLY symptom I've had at all is being hungry. All. The. Time. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I know now not having symptoms can cause a lot of anxiety but many if they do experience m/s don't tend to peak or really get it until around week 8. Some don't have it at all. You should know though that at that early as others have said there is very little to see. I measured more than a week behind at my first ultrasound and I'm now 19 weeks pregnant tomorrow with a healthy little one. I know it can be scary but try to breathe and relax. Try starting a thread on your bmb for moms without noticeable symptoms there are probably others like you and I know it was really helpful for the moms on our board. 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing