Pregnant after 35

Anyone else have to do an early glucose test?

due to my weight they are having me do the glucose test at 16 weeks and again at the 23-26 week mark. anyone else have to do this?
the didn't have me do this with my first and I'm 15 lbs less than when I was pregnant with him. He was born at 39wks and 6 1/2 lbs so not a large baby at all. I did just barely pass the test that time so not sure if that's the reason. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone else have to do an early glucose test?

• I had to with my last pregnancy.  I have PCOS and my OB thought that with some mild insulin resistance, I should take it early.  I begged her not to make me because I always fail the one hour and pass the three hour.  Sure enough, that's what happened with the early test.  But then I had to do it again later in the pregnancy, which meant 2 one hour tests and 2 three hour tests.  Some people dread epidurals or stretch marks...I dread the glucose tests.  Hate them!  I'm sure you will do fine, though, especially if you are down some weight.  Good luck!
  • I did it at at 14 weeks with my first pregnancy and FAILED.  I was on insulin by 17 weeks.  Had great control and a nice 8 pound baby.  This time, I BEGGED my Endo to not take the glucose tolerance test.  I also dread it!  So, he's monitoring fasting glucose and Hgb A1Cs instead.  Bless him!  I'm guessing with twins, I'll have it again even though I did start out 20 pounds lighter.
    *** Child & current pregnancy mentioned ***
    Me - 41 (PCOS), Hubby - 43 (healthy)
    7/2013 - Sweet baby girl born (Clomid + TI)
    3/2014 - TTC #2, return to RE 7/2014
    12/2015: IVF #1 transferred two great looking embryos - BFP!
    First ultrasound: TWO beautiful little heartbeats!!
    Harmony: negative; level 2: babies look great and are boy/girl! :) 
  • Loading the player...
  • I hope I pass this one. I hate the nasty orange drink. It's even listed as that on my calendar. 
    Thankfully my doc doesn't make me fast so I can have a little something. Blah but to drink it twice. 

@emsmama15 congrats on the weightloss. 

• Is this the test to look for gestational diabetes? I wanted my OB to test me early since I have PCOS but she won't because I'm not overweight. Not sure if I should push for it or not. Based on all of your responses it sounds pretty nasty so maybe it's a good thing that I don't have to do it early!?
    ME: 36 (PCOS), DH: excellent SA
    NTNP since 11/12, actively trying since 8/14
    m/c @ 7w (4/22/14), m/c @ 6w (11/19/14)
    11/15: Letrozole, Ovidrel, TI = BFP!!!
    Beta #1(14dpo)=349, Beta #2(18dpo)=2,805
    12/17/15: Got to see the heartbeat (105bpm)!
    1/25/16: NT scan = normal (HB=163bpm)
    EDD: 8/10/16 
    8/8/16: Baby boy born @ 12:25am, 8lbs, 20.5 inches
    5/18/17: BFP!!! (11dpo)
    Beta #1(12dpo)=176.4, Beta #2(15dpo)=607.1
  • While I wouldn't want to do the test more often than necessary--here is my crazy unpopular opinion: I kind of like the orange drink! It's like orange Gatorade on steroids! (I realize this opinion puts me in the less than 1%. Haha)
  • @jilligan14 yes it's for diabetes. 
    The drink isn't that bad but I'm not a fan of overly sweet drinks and you have to chug it. Chilled makes it taste a little better sort of like flat orange soda. 

• I don't get a choice of flavors...we get the one that tastes like flat Sprite because they say they've had better luck with people not throwing it up.  But to me it tastes soooo syrupy.  I can barely keep it down on an empty stomach.  
  • Yep, also due to my weight I had to do an early test.  I was kind of close to the minimum level of concern, so then I did a second 1-hour test and I was borderline, so my doc had me do the 3-hour test - fasting, with a baseline blood draw before drinking, and then a blood draw every hour.  My blood sugar was perfectly fine, and actually my level at the 3rd hour was really low, even lower than my baseline.  Which explains why I feel like crud when I eat too much sugar, and why I left the lab that day feeling woozy and headachey.

The thing is, I wish they would do the 1-hour test as a fasting test and take a baseline blood draw before you drink the drink.  I feel like that would give more accurate results from the very beginning, and then maybe people in our situation wouldn't potentially have to do 3 tests.  I have some backup on this from my husband who is a researcher and studies metabolism issues.

(My flavors were orange, orange, then lemon-lime.  I actually thought the taste wasn't terrible with either of them, but they were *so* sweet that after a few sips they got harder to choke down.)
  • I had to do the early Glucose test this time as well. Not sure if it was due to my age (40) or being plus-sized.  Either way,  I passed! 
  • I had gestational diabetes with my first...  My OB wants me to take the 3 hour glucose at 12 weeks.  Talk about early!
  • I did mine at 12 weeks as well and passed, failed the 1 hour one b/c strict cut off and passed 3 hour with flying colors. 3 rd times a charm I guess
  • I have to do mine this week. My ob has been wanting me to do it but i was having a really hard time keeping things down,  i was worried that i wouldnt be able to keep it down for an hour. My sugar levels are good so im assuming she wants me to take it cuz im overweight and will be 40 when i deliver.
  • Mine isn't early, but it's waiting for me in the fridge. It looks like a small bottle of water, so I'm guessing it's the one that tastes like flat sprite? The paperwork says I have 5 minutes to drink it. That seems reasonable, but I haven't tasted it yet...
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• Not sure if I should post this here, had my checkup today, took my glucose test over 2 weeks ago and nev r heard back, so was going with the 'no news is good news' theory. Welp, I failed, so I'm doing the at home pricks for 2 weeks, anyone fail? I've had a wicked sweet tooth and have definitely been eating all the jelly beans, after dinner chocolate and the occasional or more, cupcakes, my fave. Other then sweets my diet is healthy, anyone have an example meal plans they used, or advice?!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Ah shucks @Wyattnash00 that's the pits! There are a ton of GD threads on all the BMB's and on the high-risk board. Did your doctor give you some guidelines? From what I understand you'll have to limit carbs and focus on protein and low GI foods. (Glycemic index) i bet google will be a lot of help too. Sorry you are going through this :'(
  • @Wyattnash00  I thought usually if you fail then you do the 2 or 3 hour test. Did you fail both? 
    I passed the early and then I have to do it again at 24/26 weeks. A few days before I try to watch how much sugar I eat. No major carbs the night before. Morning if I was allowed a small breakfast but advised to keep it low/no sugar. 

• @Wyattnash00 Ugh, I'm sorry they took so long to get back to you with that result! How annoying. There certainly are a lot of GD support boards around, but also ask your OB if they can set you up with a nutritionist - I'm surprised they didn't offer it to you, to be honest. Generally speaking, however, try to stay away from sugary foods and simple/refined carbohydrates (white bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, etc.) and fruits too, unfortunately, have a lot of sugars. You can have lots of protein, vegetables, and if you're going to do carbs stick with whole grains in small amounts.
    Me: 40  DH: 43
    Married 5/30/15
    TTC #1 June 2015
    BFP #1 9/28/15, EDD 6/10/16. DS born 5/23/16!
    TTC #2 May 2017
    BFP #2 m/c 11/18/17 5w5d
    BFP #3 12/17/17 EDD 8/25/18. It's a boy!
  • Thanks guys. I can't bring my son to the 3 hour, babysitter is away, hubs has erratic work schedule, so I have no idea when I could do the 3 hr test. Just read up a bunch on meal plans etc, pretty much need to cut out my sweet tooth, grrrr, what fun is it to be pregnant now??!! And stick to certain foods, need to stop googling now, sucks me in every time.
  • Thanks @redheadbride15, I have a fridge of fruits, love fruit, sadness.  If I hadn't had a dr's appt today I still wouldn't know, pretty sure they should change that policy.  
  • @Wyattnash00 - that's awful that no one let you know!  Did you do a two hour test by chance?  My friend just failed the two hour and it's diagnostic if it's two hours.  Anyway, I've been doing the diet and the finger poking for two weeks now and I see my endo today.  Here are my recommendations:

1) Stay between 12-14 carbs per day (1 carb = 15 grams)
    2) Eat lower glycemic fruits: berries (1 c = 1 carb), cherries (I cannot WAIT till these are here in MN, 15 = 1 carb), grapes (15 = 1 carb).  I have a whole list, so if you want something specific, let me know.  Apples, bananas, and pears are higher (1 = 2 carbs).
    3) Eat less carbs in am - most people react more at breakfast time.
    4) Eat three meals, three snacks, approximately 3 hours apart each.
    5) Always, always, always pair carbs with protein and/or fat.  Try to avoid eating carbs alone.  
    6) Try to get in to a nutritionist.  My OB referred me to the Pregnancy and Diabetes clinic for both my pregnancies and that includes a nurse educator visit (mostly focus on foods to eat and tips) and meeting with my endocrinologist as needed.  Because I needed insulin, I saw the doc a lot.  But a nutritionist would be SO helpful!

I still eat an occasional small piece of candy - or four small chocolate Lindt bunnies on Friday when I was stressed.  Oh well.  You can't be perfect, but the goal is that your baby is born healthy and doesn't have blood sugar issues.  You can do it!  

I did this for about 25 weeks in my first pregnancy and it's all coming back to me, so please let me know if you have any questions!!
  • So so helpful @emsmama15. It sounds like ALOT of eating but once I get into a routine I stick to it pretty well.  I don't eat a lot of carbs now so I need to incorporate them back in.  Thanks for the specifics on fruit, I eat berries all day plus always an apple and banana, stuff I never think about.  And I think I'll have to start writing everything down to figure this out.  I feel like I'm quitting hardcore drugs with no chocolate.  
  • Sporty1216Sporty1216 member
    edited March 2016
    @Wyattnash00 --I'm just catching up on this. I can't believe they didn't get back to you! Sounds like you've gotten a lot of good input here. I hope your doc will set you up with a nutritionist so you can get some more info. Sorry about the chocolate..... :(
  • I wrote everything down for two weeks to try to figure out trends.  It was helpful.  My endo started me on bedtime insulin today.  Ugh.  He's super conservative, but I can't argue because my first was an awesome 8 lbs 1 oz and no blood sugar issues, so I'm just going to trust him.  :)  
  • Ugh is right @emsmama15, guess the dr knows best. I've educated myself a lot today, I knew nothing. My hubs said he'll jump on the health bandwagon with me..for the most part, I'll take that. Thanks for all the support today ladies, tomorrow is day 1  :#
  • GOOD LUCK!  :) 
  • You got this, @Wyattnash00 !

sorry about the bedtime insulin, @emsmama15 :(
  • Sorry to read your news and that your OB office was so non-communicative, @Wyattnash00! I don't have any experience with GD, but it sounds like pp have some great advice, and I'm confident you can manage it! Good luck.