Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Dr. appointment tomorrow (well technically today) (dear dairy?)

Since it is after midnight I guess that means my doctor appointment is technically today and I am nervous. I still have not been visited by AF since my intro post and it had been a while since AF visited before I posted too. Here's a link to my original post: https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12657350/introduction#latest

I am not sure why I am nervous - maybe I am expecting the worst? I don't really know. I have tried talking to DH about it but he's nervous too so it doesn't help as much as I would like. I decided to scroll through TB and see if I can't "lose myself" in TB's world and out of my own for a while (if that makes sense).

Sorry I know this is probably considered a dear diary post but I needed to post this somewhere to get it off my chest a little.
Me:28 | DH: 28
Married: 07-2014
TTC #1: Since November 2015
Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
     due to previous issues.
***TW***
BFP: 11/4/2016
*TW*
 BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Dr. appointment tomorrow (well technically today) (dear dairy?)

• Options
    Your original post doesn't mention temping. You might just be having a really long anovulatory cycle. Sucks but they happen. (I've been there so I get how annoying it is). Over 60 days is time to get your gyno looped in, so the appt is at a good time. 

I wouldn't worry about this visit. 1. Your gyno is expecting you for a Pap smear so isn't going to slam you with bad news. Make sure you bring up the fact that you haven't had AF in ___ days. 2. She might prescribe Provera to kick start your period. She might order bloodwork. 3. She might tell you to temp or use OPKs. We are a temping board but some doctors put no weight in it. 4. She might slow down and actually explain details on TTC (mine did when I expressed similar concerns). 5. Don't borrow trouble and assume an infertility diagnosis. Periods are weird and can change. Hopefully you will leave the visit knowing next steps and don't need to worry about the worst. 
    Me: 33 DH: 31
    DS: 5 years old
    TTC #2 since August 2015
    July 2016: Testing cycle with 100 mg Clomid = BFN
    August 2016: 50 mg Clomid + IUI = BFN
    October 2016: IVF#1 - 13 retrieved / 12 mature /  9 fertilized / 2 blasts
    November 2016: FET#1 = chemical
    January 2017: FET#2 = chemical
    March 2017: IVF#2 - 18 retrieved / 18 mature / 16 fertilized / 5 blasts
    April 24, 2017: FET#3 - BFN
    May 24, 2017: FET#4 - BFP! - Beta #1 151 - Beta #2 503 - Due date 2/9/18
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with @Megzb510, your doc probably isn't going to give you major news at this visit. Good luck.

Me: 33     H: 36

Married: 12/14/13   DS: 1/29/09

BFP2: 10/9/15  MMC: 11/12/15

BFP3: 4/6/16   DD: 12/12/16

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm going to agree with the PPs here saying that if you haven't had a period since October or November (your original post was a bit unclear. Or I'm just still in a sleep haze. Either way.) then you doctor will likely be willing to give you Provera to start your period if you ask about it. You may want to remind your doctor that you're actively TTC and be sure to include that you haven't had a period at all since <insert date of LMP here>.

Like the others have stated, I really don't think your doctor is going to tell you anything at all really. If your doctor is anything like the many doctors I've had (I've moved a lot) you'll be lucky to get more than "everything looks good. If anything is abnormal on your pap we'll let you know. Anything else?" said as the doctor is half-way out the door, sorta glancing back over his/her shoulder.

FWIW, although my experience has no bearing on your own and it's good you're seeing a doctor, I've had periods just stop for 6+ months at a time for no reason at all. I had blood work and ultrasounds done and everything looked perfectly fine and normal. Periods are really strange.

forrest gump - Mama always said periods are like a box of chocolates You never know what youre gonna get

Me: 28 Husband: 31
    TTC#1: January 2015- September 2016
    Infertility, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
    Rainbow baby born June 6, 2017  ❤️

Baby #2 due June 12, 2018
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    It's normal to be nervous.  I hope it goes well for you.  I agree with PPs, I had a similar issue and my doctor prescribed provera but didn't do much else until we'd been trying for 7 months and still having long cycles.

Also, couldn't resist, sorry OP:

• Options
    They may check for cysts and do a blood test to check your hormones but thats a big maybe and not a big deal :) chillax
    Met DH - 9/2003
    Dating - 9/18/2012
    Married - 8/16/2014
    NTNP - 7/2014-5/2015 
    TTC #1 - 5/2015 (CP October @ 4w2d)
    *PCOS/Hypothyroid/Ectopic Kidney/High DHEA-S*
    HSG - All clear, ectopic kidney didn't affect uterus (yay!)
    CT Adrenal Scan - no tumors! :D
    SA - sperm count excellent, 2% Morphology
    March/April IUI scheduled -  surprise BFP w/ help of Progesterone - 3/18/2016
    Beta #1 @ 11dpo - 45.7 #2 @ 14dpo - 163 #3 @ 18dpo - 997 #4 @ 21dpo - 3799 :D
    EDD 12/1 based on O, 11/28 per Ob/Gyn (but he's wrong lol).

*TEAM BLUE!*

BabyFruit Ticker

Image result for funny i hate football memes

• Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I appreciate it.

Appointment went as well as it could have. The doctor I saw is my gyno and she is a little concerned that I haven't received AF but she did order a series of blood tests for a few different things:
       - Follicle stimulating hormone
       - Luteinizing hormone (spelling may be off)
       - Prolactin
       - TSH (I think this has to do with my thyroid)
       - Blood test for pregnancy - She said since I was having other blood tests done we might as well do this too.

She also did a PapSmear too to see if I have a bacterial infection that might be holding AF hostage (her words).

I am supposed to hear something tomorrow about the results. And depending on what the results are she said she may put me on a pill to cause withdrawl bleeding (I guess that's to force any period blood out) and "regulate" cycles again. She said that there's 2 types of pills that do that - one is strictly for withdrawl bleeding and the other also increases fertility.

@Megzb510 - I am not temping and she didn't say anything about it. I would like to start (once I know what's going on) since I see that it really helps people.

@NamelessAria - to clarify - I know I have not gotten AF in November / December / January. I can't remember if I did in October or not. I'm pretty sure I did but not 100% sure. (I know that probably sounds a bit bad) :)
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @TheBorg7of9

Thanks for the heads up / reminder. She didn't mention what the name of the pills were. I always make sure I know what it is a doctor wants to give me before taking it but I will make a mental note of this in case she says Clomid.

Just out of curiosity, what is you opinion on Clomid? I know very little about it
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @TheBorg7of9

Thanks for the heads up / reminder. She didn't mention what the name of the pills were. I always make sure I know what it is a doctor wants to give me before taking it but I will make a mental note of this in case she says Clomid.

Just out of curiosity, what is you opinion on Clomid? I know very little about it
    Just in case it takes awhile for @TheBorg7of9 to respond, if you search the forums for Clomid there's a wealth of information.  It's a very dangerous fertility drug if you aren't being monitored properly.

• Options
    @Lulucooks

Thanks! I will do that when I get home tonight :)
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    This is my standard clomid response. You can also Google "clomid and ketchup" to hear a real story. (Ketchup was the name of an old bumpie). 

Ok. Hello and welcome. I have been on clomid myself and have read many stories on this board for 6 years from women on clomid. 

First of all before you take clomid, you need to make sure you don't have any other problems that would make the clomid moot. That is because clomid has a lifetime max of 6 cycles. After that some doctors won't give more clomid because of a potential concern about cancer. Although that link has not been proven. Also, if it doesn't work after 6 cycles, it's probably not going to work. The two most important tests are a semen analysis for your husband and an hsg to make sure your tubes are open. 

For each cycle you are on clomid, you need Bloodwork and vaginal ultrasounds on cycle day 3 and then starting mid cycle about every other day until you ovulate.  Opks are not reliable when you are on clomid. The tests on cycle day 3 are to measure your hormones, check for pregnancy (clomid is not good if pregnant) and check for cysts (clomid causes cysts. Also, if you start a cycle with a cyst and take more clomid, the cyst may grow exponentially and cause you to lose an ovary. I have seen some women on this site end up in the ER because they weren't monitored.)

The ultrasounds also check if you are overresponding or underresponding. If you overrespond (like I did) you have to decide whether to cancel the cycle or risk high order multiples and a second trimester selective abortion. If you underrespond, you doc may change meds for next time. 

The ultrasounds also check your uterine lining, because clomid might cause your uterine lining to be too thin and prevent pregnancy. 

Another side effect is that clomid may dry up your cervical mucus, thereby decreasing your chances of pregnancy. That's why reproductive endocrinologists usually pair clomid with an intrauterine insemination. 

Finally, I would very highly recommend you see a reproductive endocrinologist for infertility and not an OB. REs are the experts here, not OBs and they do the proper tests and monitoring as a matter of course. 

My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Options
    EgnaroBeanEgnaroBean member
    edited February 2016
    Thank you so much for posting this. I am in a very similar place, and it is a relief to connect with someone who is experiencing this too. 

I actually just got AF on Wednesday after a 103-day cycle (so maybe I'm not in such a similar place anymore, but I was just there and I still relate). I saw my gyno about 2 weeks before that for my annual and she ran all the same blood work and referred me to a RE in her practice who I am scheduled to see next week. I'm still going to keep the appointment even though AF showed up, because I feel like my clock is ticking so why pass up the opportunity for some potential advice or assistance. I don't want to think about going another 100 without ovulating.

Keep us posted! Thank you so much for sharing xxx

edit: typos
  • Options
    @TheBorg7of9 - Thank you for your response. I did some researching and looking up threads on here when I got home from work and I am not sure if I still have questions abut it or not because I was thrown a lot of information relatively quickly.

@EgnaroBean - It is nice hearing / reading that others are in the same / similar situation as you. I am glad things have seemed to straighten themselves out for you :)  Please keep in touch with me as well too. 

due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I got my period the day after my appointment for the same reason. 77 cycle day so it's good to get it checked out at 60+. I also had blood work test done but no answers yet. Apparently a lot of places call if it's irregular and just mail/nothing if it looks good, so don't stress too much!!
  • Options
    @EmilyM1121

My doctor's RN called me this afternoon and told me the results of the tests. I have bacterial vaginosis (I think that's how it's spelled) which is really not an issue because it's cleared up easily with a pill for 7 days. My doctor's RN faxed the prescription to the pharmacy I go to. My doctor called a few hours later and I missed the call so she left a voicemail saying she wanted to talk to me about my test results (I am hoping she didn't realize that her RN already talked to me). I tried calling back but the office was already closed so I have to call back on Monday.
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Good thing you caught the BV before BFP because it can cause pregnancy complications! So sorry you have to wait out the weekend before hearing back on your hormone levels <3<3<3
  • Options
    @EgnaroBean

Yes it is a good thing. I already got the results when my doctor's RN called me so I am hoping that my doctor just doesn't realize her RN already called me or maybe she just wants to see what our plans are after I am done taking the medication. Hopefully my doctor didn't come across something that I am not aware of.
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker