Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

How do I sleep???

I'm a FTM with a 6 week old and I am so exhausted and sleep deprived I'm starting to feel dizzy. Everyone says to sleep when baby sleeps but she only sleeps if I'm holding her and when I put her down she wakes up and we start all over again. I can't sleep if I'm having to hold her to get her to sleep. My husband is no help as he works all the time and just won't help (that's a whole issue in itself). What can I do?? I'm desperate.

Re: How do I sleep???

• Options
    I slept with my DD on my chest on the couch for the first 4/5 weeks then moved to my bed with her on my chest until 7 weeks. She now lays beside me in bed at 9 weeks. 
    Do what you gotta do, the first 6 weeks are the hardest. Try waiting until baby is in a deep sleep, try swaddling.
  • Options
    Swaddling and white noise. The strong hairdryer from Happiest Baby on the Block is a lifesaver. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Swaddling and/or the Rock n Play were life savers. During the first several weeks I ended up cosleeping even though I was super against it before. It was the only way we could both get sleep BUT I was hyperaware of him being next to me so I was comfortable with it.
  • Options
    We bedshare at night because it's the only way I get good sleep. Depending on how quickly I get her back to sleep after nursing I get 6-8 hours broken up. I'm still tired because obviously broken sleep still takes a toll but I find I don't need daytime naps anymore. 
    During the day if I swaddle, nurse, and give her a pacifier I can put her in the swing and she'll nap for an hour or two. If that doesn't work, I wear her and do chores while she sleeps. 
  • Options
    taysun said:
    We bedshare at night because it's the only way I get good sleep. Depending on how quickly I get her back to sleep after nursing I get 6-8 hours broken up. I'm still tired because obviously broken sleep still takes a toll but I find I don't need daytime naps anymore. 
    During the day if I swaddle, nurse, and give her a pacifier I can put her in the swing and she'll nap for an hour or two. If that doesn't work, I wear her and do chores while she sleeps. 

All of this. There are a lot of things you can try but unfortunately you are at their mercy and it sucks.
  • Options
    In the evenings hubby has to cosleep with our newborn next to him till she sleeps and then i can gently carry her and cuddle for a few mins so she doesn't wake up and very gently place her in her babynest in the cot. Baby has never just slept straight in her cot, she is always in her babynest which i put in the cot, its the only way she can sleep but my baby doesn't roll and sleeps on her side initially and may end up on her back
  • Options
    EvaD84 said:
    In the evenings hubby has to cosleep with our newborn next to him till she sleeps and then i can gently carry her and cuddle for a few mins so she doesn't wake up and very gently place her in her babynest in the cot. Baby has never just slept straight in her cot, she is always in her babynest which i put in the cot, its the only way she can sleep but my baby doesn't roll and sleeps on her side initially and may end up on her back

What is a babynest?

When my son was a newborn, the only thing he would sleep on was a Boppy Newborn Lounger pillow so that's what we used. We even put him on it, swaddled, inside his crib. He couldn't roll at that point and we all just needed sleep. You get desperate sometimes.

• Options
    I agree with swaddle, pacifier, white noise machine, and RnP. I used all that at that point. Do you have other family that can relieve you? Perhaps hiring a sitter for a couple hours a day can help.
  • Options
    My baby sleeps best in her swing, mostly swaddled (hands out). She doesn't like laying flat. I wouldn't recommend having baby sleep on your chest, but Co sleeping in the bed I've done before with my other child. If you have a sleep positioner for baby I'd use that, that way they have their own little spot and they can't roll towards you. Good luck, it's very hard being sleep deprived. Maybe let baby fuss for a few minutes after u lay baby in swing or wherever. My daughter does that. I'll get her to sleep in my arms and set her in swing and she'll fuss/cry for a few mins and then falls back asleep. So maybe don't pick her up immediately. Also my baby likes noise so I keep the TV on. 
  • Options
    GaleRingGaleRing member
    edited March 2016
    **Removed for TOU violation**
  • Options
    I also use a wearable blanket like Gale recommended. It's a real lifesaver :)
  • Options
    Celinas1993Celinas1993 member
    edited March 2016
    My little one and I slept in a recliner that leaned all the way back, this is also around the time she started sleeping with me in the bed. It gets easier, I promise. My LO is 10 weeks old and for about 2-3 has been sleeping for 6 hour stretches through the night  and in her own crib. My husband is no help, either. Just hang in there, momma! 
  • Options
    DD sleeps fine during the day, but I night won't sleep unless she's in my arms.  If I'm having trouble staying awake, I go to the recliner in the living room and we both fall asleep, with her on my chest.  I can't roll over, and I'm SUPER aware of any movement she makes.  If I'm watching TV in bed and not at risk for falling asleep, I'll prop myself up with some pillows and put her on my chest til she falls asleep.  

ALSO I move her from being on my chest, to laying on her back with my arms still around her to make sure she's still in deep sleep until I put her in her cradle.   Sometimes the change in equilibrium wakes her, so I keep near her to make sure she stays asleep.
  • Options
    We were in the same boat. Rock and Play was awesome. I would also fall asleep nursing him by accident. Thankfully nothing ever happened but there were times I'd wake up three hours later and he was ready to eat again. 
  • Options
    4N6s4N6s member
    Make sure the baby is warm
    enough. My baby was doing the same thing, I put her in a swaddleme and ahe slept like a champ last night. 
  • Options
    We were in the same boat. Rock and Play was awesome. I would also fall asleep nursing him by accident. Thankfully nothing ever happened but there were times I'd wake up three hours later and he was ready to eat again. 
    I fall asleep while nursing DS all the time because I nurse him in the side lying position at night/early mornings. I figure he's not going anywhere, I'm not going anywhere because I don't move when he sleeps next to me, and we both get sleep in, so it works for us. 

OP, if you're breastfeeding have you tried the side lying position? That way if you do fall asleep you don't have to worry about baby being on your chest and you can still kind of wrap your arms around her. My LO usually passes right out and if I don't fall asleep myself I just slip my nipple out of his mouth and stay there next to him and get some sleep. 

Side note: we're already having to bed share because that's the only way DS will sleep at night, so it's not a big deal for us when he and I fall asleep while nursing. 
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18