January 2016 Moms

Babies weight gain

Ive been formula feeding LO since birth. We had trouble latching and she had jaundice so they needed her to eat so she could flush it out of her system. Ive been going to a LC and yesterday she finally latched using a nipple shield! My milk isnt coming in huge but hopefully between her and pumping It'll come in more. But my questions is, how much weight gain is too much? They weighed her at the BF Clinic and she weighted 9lb6oz. 11 days old and was 8lb9oz at birth. So when I go Thursday to her 2 week dr appt theres a good chance she will be a pound more then at birth. She eats formula like crazy (3-4oz every 3-4 hrs) and she doesn't throw it up or anything, she eats because shes hungry. Obviously I'm going to feed her when shes hungry. 

Re: Babies weight gain

• How old is LO? 
    You are FF right now or BF? 
    Sounds weird but, is LO having a regular BM? 

Also every scale is different 
  • Shes 12 days old. I was exclusively FF but now that she is latching as of yesterday I'm bf what I can (not much milk yet) and supplementing with formula. She has regular bowel movements (4-6/day) and pees (like 8-10a day). 
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm not sure how much is too much but my baby was 7lb 7oz at birth and lost a pound and then by his 2 week appointment was 8lb 6oz so almost a pound over birth weight and the pediatrician was pleased. Good luck with breastfeeding! :) 
  • Don't worry , my little one ate a lot too from the get go. I'm pumping and supplementing almost 50/50 . From the day she came home she ate around 2.5 to 3.25 ounces every 3 to 4 hours.  I think it's completely normal and its good that they want to eat ! There would be a problem if your baby won't eat . I figure most breast fed babies eat more frequently and who knows the exact amount they are getting but likely less than 3 ounces.  Its kind of a bonus if you have a little one who eats more and goes longer between feedings IMO.   Also , my LO is 4 weeks and the amount she eats hasn't significantly increased. Idk if this helps , I was worried too in the beginning but we just have hungry babies !
  • My pediatrician told me LO will put on about an oz a day and at their two week appt they just like to make sure that baby is at or past their birth weight, so I think you're okay! Keep feeding on demand and enjoy the rolls :)
  • My LO has put on 3 pounds in 3.5 weeks due to excessive comfort feeding, and the docs are just really impressed, not worried. They estimate that her feeding will go down now that she's getting relief from meds. She started at 6.5 pounds though, so I don't know if that makes a difference in their reaction or not. 
  • My LO has been gaining pretty consistently.  At his 2 week he was back at his original birth weight of 5.1.  2 weeks later he was up to 6.4 and then within 5 days he was weighed again after bringing him in for something else, and he was up to 6.12.  I'm sure when I bring him today he will probably be 7lb, or just over, based on what we've been seeing so far. 
  • I don't think there is such thing as "too much" weight gain for a baby- my little one put on 330 grams last week- and 290 the week prior ;) 
  • Thanks everyone! Makes me feel a lot better! She is a hungry baby and definitely gets that from my side of the family. I hope everyone's LOs are doing great
  • My baby is EBF (except for a small amt of supplementing we did in the hospital on day 2 bc he didn't have enough wet diapers) and by his dr appt on day 5 he had already passed his birth weight. By the next time we went to the dr on day 8, he had already gained a whole lb from his birth weight - from 8 lb 14oz to 9 lb 14oz. The dr was very happy about his weight gain and said it was above average, but she was pleased and not concerned. She definitely didn't say there was anything to worry about gaining too much weight at this stage. 
  • My dd was 7lb 2 oz at birth.  weighed 6lb 15 at 5 day checkup . At 1 month she weighed 9lb 9oz. Dr was happy !!ebf baby !
  • No such thing as too much for an infant, if she's hungry just  feed her!
  • :( I wish DS was growing that fast, I'm worried he's not gaining fast enough, he's gaining but I think just slowly. He's gained 7.5 oz in 11 days. I'm gonna call the doc tomorrow and ask. He's exclusively BF and is a hungry hungry little guy eating often enough and making plenty of wet diapers, he's just so skinny 
  • Becky012016Becky012016 member
    edited February 2016
    kwentela said: :( I wish DS was growing that fast, I'm worried he's not gaining fast enough, he's gaining but I think just slowly. He's gained 7.5 oz in 11 days. I'm gonna call the doc tomorrow and ask. He's exclusively BF and is a hungry hungry little guy eating often enough and making plenty of wet diapers, he's just so skinny 

My LO isn't gaining weight fast either. He's barely back up to his birth weight but I know he's growing since he's grown a half inch in a week. Maybe yours is growing in the length department too?
  • . My babe is 16 weeks old and clocking in at 17 pounds! Anyone else feeling like their baby is putting on too much? He's already almost in 9 month clothes! Doc says everything is fine but me being a ftm I'm going to worry regardless. Any other mamas out there with a tank like mine?
  • @jking9382 you aren't alone. I know there are a couple of us with big babies. My little dude is 9 weeks old (today!) and was 15lbs 11oz at his 2 month appt last week. He's long too, our pediatrician said he's closer to a 5 month old in size. Makes sense as he is in 3-6 or 6 month clothes, and I'm sure the 6-9 or 9 month stuff isn't far... As long as your Dr is happy, don't worry. You just have a big guy :) 
  • My guy is also a big boy! He was 15lb 3oz at his 2 month appt. We're into the 3-6 mo clothes (and have been since about 6-7 weeks). He's also in size 2 diapers. The pedi is super pleased with his weight gain and not in the least bit worried. I think it's a good thing! @emcarl24@jking9382
  • I agree. No such thing as too much. 
    I was told she would like to see him gain 6-8 oz a week. We're at 13.1 lbs at 2 months (up almost 3 lbs in a month. Big baby club -holla!) and she was super happy. 
    N (2004)A (2007), N (2010), and L (due 1/2016)
  • I took LO in today to have his dry skin checked out for eczema, because it has now started to appear on the back of his head.  Thankfully, it's just dry skin, but they took a weight on him when we were there.  He is now weighing 10 lbs. 2 oz. :smiley: He has doubled his birth weight! Even though he'll be 4 months in a few weeks, I am so happy to see him putting on steady weight.  He's up almost 3 lbs. since his 2 month visit.  Hopefully when we go back in a few weeks for the 4 month, he will be close to 11, or just over that.
  • My lo is 10weeks and at his appt. last week he was 11lbs 1oz. He left the hospital 8lbs. 6 oz. So doing the math that's just under 4oz a week in gain. I ebf so you cold say it's a bit under but the pediatrician thinks it's fine and so do I. He's gonna be long and lean like his dad.