Secondary IF

Any experience with progesterone suppositories?

The RE coordinator was talking to me about how I would have to be on progesterone suppositories after a couple of weeks of progesterone injections (IM). After researching google about the suppositories, I'm somewhat more scared of those then just asking to continue injections. I hear after putting the suppository in, you become really tired and there is leakage, mood swings, possible burning, etc. Just sounds so glorious (hear the sarcasm?!)

I just didn't know if anyone here has had any experience with the suppositories? Maybe I should just see what the instructions are. I'm hoping they're only once a day.

Thanks in advance! 
Me: 37 DH:41
10/2009 - TTC#1 Stopped BCP! Let's DO this!
1/2010 - BFP (Natural) --> 10/2010 - DS born! Yay!
12/2010 - DH diagnosed with stage 3B testicular cancer. #cancersucks
10/2011 - Complications with DH and lymph nodes in groin area removed. No longer able to ejaculate.
1/2014 - TTC#2 - IUI#1. No luck. Findings: DH sperm did not survive freeze. RE recommends IVF with ICSI.
3/2014 - IVF Cycle #1 Started BCP
4/2014 - Lupron, Gonal-F, and Menopur
5/7/2014 - ER day (25 eggs retrieved, 15 mature)
5/10/2014 - 6 fertilized, 3 embryos frozen - one grade A and two Grade B. Plan was to grow out to blastocyst stage but rest of eggs arrested by day 3. Decided to freeze on day 3.
2/9/2016 - FET #1 with Grade A (8 cell - 3 day embryo); 2/20 - Beta was <5. BFN.  :/ Waiting for period and start next FET.
7/8/2016 - FET #2 with Grade B (8 cell - 3 day embryo), fingers crossed this one sticks. :)
7/19 - Beta was 74. BFP!!!!; 7/21 - Beta was 182; 1st U/S on 8/2; 2nd U/S on 8/16 :)

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Any experience with progesterone suppositories?

• Hi there!  I used them 2 cycles ago when prepping for a fresh transfer (that didn't happen anyway)... but I only used them for about a week.  I think it was 3x a day, but I didn't experience any side effects.  I hope maybe that makes you feel a little better... everyone will react differently.  I try not to look at side effects any longer because it only makes me think I am feeling everything.  Also, mine came with an applicator and nothing really leaked out, although I wore a panty liner to be on the safe side.  Good Luck!
  • I've been on 3 different ones and never had any horrible side effects.  The worst I had was my boobs were a tiny bit bigger/sore but nothing major at all. The worst part is the leakage..they are messy and you need a panty liner but otherwise no big deal
  • Loading the player...
  • I have done them a couple of times. I didn't react any differently to them than I did oral or injections. 

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • Thanks ladies! This helps. I just don't like taking any medications unless absolutely necessary, so I'm trying to get out all my anxieties now before I begin the injections next week after my FET. Appreciate the responses.
    Me: 37 DH:41
    10/2009 - TTC#1 Stopped BCP! Let's DO this!
    1/2010 - BFP (Natural) --> 10/2010 - DS born! Yay!
    12/2010 - DH diagnosed with stage 3B testicular cancer. #cancersucks
    10/2011 - Complications with DH and lymph nodes in groin area removed. No longer able to ejaculate.
    1/2014 - TTC#2 - IUI#1. No luck. Findings: DH sperm did not survive freeze. RE recommends IVF with ICSI.
    3/2014 - IVF Cycle #1 Started BCP
    4/2014 - Lupron, Gonal-F, and Menopur
    5/7/2014 - ER day (25 eggs retrieved, 15 mature)
    5/10/2014 - 6 fertilized, 3 embryos frozen - one grade A and two Grade B. Plan was to grow out to blastocyst stage but rest of eggs arrested by day 3. Decided to freeze on day 3.
    2/9/2016 - FET #1 with Grade A (8 cell - 3 day embryo); 2/20 - Beta was <5. BFN.  :/ Waiting for period and start next FET.
    7/8/2016 - FET #2 with Grade B (8 cell - 3 day embryo), fingers crossed this one sticks. :)
    7/19 - Beta was 74. BFP!!!!; 7/21 - Beta was 182; 1st U/S on 8/2; 2nd U/S on 8/16 :)

BabyFetus Ticker
  • @pdbird-- I hear you!  My biggest fear throughout all my trials with IVF has been the different medications.   I just remind myself of how many women are taking these same meds and we all come through...even with some mood swings and other less than fun side effects.  Good luck! 
  • I'm on them currently and haven't noticed any side effects!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm super sleepy while on them. A little bit of cramping too.
    2012 Diagnosis with high fsh, low ovarian reserve.
    34 years old at the time. 

July 2012 
    IUI #1 Clomid - BFN

August 2012
    IUI #2 Clomid - BFN

September 2012
    IUI #3 Clomid - BFN

October 2012
    IUI #4 Gonal-f injectables - BFP
    Baby son born in July 2013
  • Haven't noticed anything other than the leaking. Sorry I can't be of more help.