2nd Trimester
Options

First and second trimester quad screening

So I just got done with my doctors appt where they did an ultrasound and everything looked great. I had the screening done in the first trimester where you have an ultrasound and bloodwork to check for abnormalities and everything was good.. Then did the second trimester screening and they said it was slightly elevated so I just got the maternal 21 test done but results won't be back for 5-10 days.. Has anyone else had this happen? My ob said it's not a very high risk since my first trimester screening was fine and the baby looks good.

Re: First and second trimester quad screening

• Options
    I haven't but the second tri screening does have a 5% or so false positive rate.  The maternity21 will figure out if you were in the false positive group as your doctor appears to think or if it is actually something to be concerned about.  Do your best to find something to occupy your time, I've heard the wait for results can be brutal. 
  • Options
    Yes it is very stressful! Thank you for your answer!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't but I have my anatomy scan on Thursday! Sending you by thoughts and prayers for positive results! 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Options
    Hope your anatomy scan went perfectly! Thank you!
  • Options
    Was your 2nd tri screening a blood draw or was it based on markers on the ultrasound ? 

• Options
    It was a blood draw
  • Options
    Hmm id try and trust your dr if they aren't very concerned try to relax as hard as it is ;) 

• Options
    Laur51615Laur51615 member
    edited February 2016
    I had this situation happen to me.  My quad screen in the second trimester came back positive for downs (I think my numbers were 1/189 which is a higher % for my age and history) I had no risk factors or family history.  I had to go and meet with a genetic counselor and also had the maternity 21 blood test done they also did a level 2 ultrasound at my 20 week appointment to double check that everything was okay.  It turned out that my baby boy is perfectly healthy.  The maternity 21 blood test came back negative for downs and my scans all came back good with no markers.  It was such a long and stressful process that honestly I will be opting out of the quad screen next time and going straight for the maternity 21 blood test.  The quad screen has a HUGE amount of false positives! So try not to get too stressed out about it especially if your doctor says everything from your scan looks good!
  • Options
    Laur51615 said:
    I had this situation happen to me.  My quad screen in the second trimester came back positive for downs (I think my numbers were 1/189 which is a higher % for my age and history) I had no risk factors or family history.  I had to go and meet with a genetic counselor and also had the maternity 21 blood test done they also did a level 2 ultrasound at my 20 week appointment to double check that everything was okay.  It turned out that my baby boy is perfectly healthy.  The maternity 21 blood test came back negative for downs and my scans all came back good with no markers.  It was such a long and stressful process that honestly I will be opting out of the quad screen next time and going straight for the maternity 21 blood test.  The quad screen has a HUGE amount of false positives! So try not to get too stressed out about it especially if your doctor says everything from your scan looks good!

This....

Listen to your doctor and keep busy !