December 2015 Moms
Options

Baby Self Entertaining

For your fortunate mamas, what do your LOs do by themselves to be content?

You see my high needs baby cannot just sit content for more than 5 minutes. Someone has to be in front of him singing, dancing, or just talking to him for him not to cry. He will not take a pacifier (tried 4 kinds, diff ppl no success.) AND even with all tha dancing, singing etc he becomes fed up after another 10 mins. It isn't behavioral as my mom likes to say that he only wants to be held. It isn't the case because he continues crying even after being held therefore the "entertainment" as I like to call it must continue except in motion trying diff positions. 

Nevertheless, I am curious on what and how your LOs do and for how long by themselves. 

Do they "chill" as my DW likes to jokingly say on a swing, vibrating chair, floor playmat? Does it makes sounds? How long do they stay there? how many times per day? Does it involve a paci? How old is your LO?

The tiny 5 mins my LO sits in his bouncer by himself he just stares into space and it breaks my heart. 

Re: Baby Self Entertaining

• Options
    My LO is 5 weeks and he's happy watching me do whatever I'm doing, I also have wallpaper that has a lot of colour and patterns so he always moves his head to stare at it.
    He can be fine like that for up to an hour if I'm near him! He usually just falls asleep anyway.
  • Options
    We used to have DD in the bouncy seat a lot. DS is constantly moving and is a source of entertainment for her until he decides he wants the bouncy seat and thinks he can fit with her or that she needs ALL the toys. So more often during the day when DS is up we hold her upright so she can see.

She does like to wake up early in the morning for a few hours before her brother is up and this is her big play time. She loves her crib mobile and sometimes wakes me up where she's laying there talking to it whether it's on or not. My mom got us a disney cd for Chrustmas and she'll lay and listen to that, "singing" and "dancing" with it.

This morning we tried out a play gym and she loved that as well and played with it for a good 30-40 mins before getting too tired. She's 9 weeks.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    LO is 5 weeks and she has days she can entertain herself for hours and others where she wants to be entertained. No paci unless she is over tired. I will say that we let her cry for 2 minutes or so sometimes and then she seems to decide that she is ok and stops crying and just chills out. Only works sometimes. I hang colorful toys on her rock and play and try to move her around the house every so often for different views. She also will put herself to sleep in her bassinet when I put her down wide awake so maybe she is just a self soother at heart (or I'm jinxing myself!)
  • Options
    DD will self entertain in her crib, bassinet, or bouncy chair (it vibrates too). The nursery has pink curtains so there is a pink tint to the room and she finds it fascinating. If I'm in the kitchen I'll put her in her bouncy chair and she'll just watch me. Most of the time though I just set her on my lap and she'll entertain herself either by watching TV (mom of the year I know) or looking outside. The paci is only necessary if she's tired. 6 weeks old.
  • Options
    DD is 7 weeks and loves her play gym. We have a Fisher Price one that plays music when she hits or kicks one of the hanging toys. We use it for tummy time and then flip her over and she'll happily play for up to 30 min. 

She also goes in her bouncy seat to different rooms in the house and likes to look at whatever is in there while I play music.  Our ceiling has decorative beams, and she will stare at them for a while.  Sometimes she likes her mobiles in the crib or swing, but it depends on her mood. Usually a paci is involved.
  • Options
    My LO isn't content by herself but when she is it's usually in her swing looking at her mobile or around the room. I also leave water sounds on for her. Very rarely I can leave her in the crib too where she stares at the mobile again or out towards the window. The rest of the time we gotta be holding her or sometimes prop her in a sitting position against our legs and bounce her or sing to her. She really likes sitting up. It's our go to when she starts crying and she usually will stop. 
  • Options
    My LO is not a self soother..I am in the same boat as you are. If she's not sleeping in her RNP which is a fight in itself during the day we are holding her. She does tummy time and will lay on her back for about 5 mins each. She will lay on her piano mat for about the same amount of time before crying. Unless I'm baby wearing I get nothing done! She always wants to nurse when I hold her too so we nurse, a lot, she sleeps a little but if she gets to nurse whenever she wants she's content laying in my arms otherwise. If I am baby wearing she cries for about 10 minutes bc she is rooting around being so close to my chest. I'm jealous of all you moms with babies that will play alone! My DD is 2 days shy of 5 weeks old. Do they get better? If so, when?

luckily my mom and DH are big help so they hold her to let me get stuff done. 
  • Options
    ATolentino89ATolentino89 member
    edited January 2016

DS chillin in his seat. He loves the turtle. 8 weeks old. 
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat too. The only thing I can say is it gets better the older they get. I did get this fisher price mat THAT has a piano, plays music, and has hanging toys. He will go on that for 15 to 45 minutea. He does love his mobile but it only plays for 3 minutes or something. He pretty much always wants to be held but it's mostly because of his gas and needing to be bounced, bycicled to have it relieved. Some babies are just high needs. Once I accepted it I was less stressed about it. Good luck!
  • Options
    Ps. My guy is 8 weeks
  • Options
    My LO is pretty content on his play mat for about 15-30 minutes before wanting to get up off of the floor.  We just started putting him into his swing.  He was still pretty small for it up until recently.  He is finally 7lbs. so he fits better in it and the straps don't swallow his whole body.  He will go in it after his feedings and usually be up and chatty for 20-30 minutes before falling asleep in it.  At this point, we are still doing a lot of sleeping after feedings. He is pretty much round the clock, diaper/eat/burp/sleep, repeat.  I am hoping he starts staying awake for longer stretches during the day, but I may still have some time before that happens.  He will be 7w this Wed. but 1w adjusted. I think the only way I'd be able to keep him up longer during the day is if I were holding him the whole time, but even then he dozes in and out of sleep. 
  • Options
    My DD will be 8 weeks and requires constant entertainment. The only time she somewhat will entertain herself is if I manage to get her in the swing at the right drowsy point to fall asleep. Otherwise I'm always holding her or sitting right in front of her entertaining her. 
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I am so desperate that I am going to buy a gym mat, swing, and vibrating chair this weekend and see if he likes any. Heck if he is happy for 5 mins in each that will give me and extra 15 I didn't have before! Lol

@dmendo01 I wish my LO would like to AT LEAST be worn. He doesn't. I'm also going to buy a couple different ones to see if he stays in any...which one do you have?

@ammnam14 I try the lap to watch tv (you're not a bad mom! Lol) everyday! Mine lasts 2 mins. :(
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I am so desperate that I am going to buy a gym mat, swing, and vibrating chair this weekend and see if he likes any. Heck if he is happy for 5 mins in each that will give me and extra 15 I didn't have before! Lol

@dmendo01 I wish my LO would like to AT LEAST be worn. He doesn't. I'm also going to buy a couple different ones to see if he stays in any...which one do you have?

@ammnam14 I try the lap to watch tv (you're not a bad mom! Lol) everyday! Mine lasts 2 mins. :(
    My daughter HATED being worn, but wanted to be held all the time. It's exhausting! DS is cool with being worn and also cool chilling by himself in his bouncer. Go figure. 

They both liked/like the Kick N Play piano and Snuga-series bouncer chair by Fisher Price. DD hated the swing that we borrowed from SIL and we didn't bother with one for DS. 

There may be some light for you as DD was ok with baby wearing when she was about three or four months old in my Mei Tai. 

Kick n play piano https://www.target.com/p/fisher-price-kick-n-play-piano-gym/-/A-15044265

Bouncer chair https://www.target.com/p/fisher-price-deluxe-bouncer-my-little-snugapuppy/-/A-14588566

Mei Tai (I find this super easy to use) https://www.target.com/p/infantino-sash-mei-tai-3-position-baby-carrier/-/A-14334281

Ergo Original (I got one from a second hand children's shop with the infant insert for under $60) https://www.target.com/p/ergobaby-original-collection-bundle-of-joy-galaxy-gray/-/A-14176499

Good luck!

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I second the Fisher Price Kick n Play. DD loves just being in her swing or being proped up in her Boppy but my son was way more high needs. He LOVED that kick n play and it was the one thing I couldn't live without with him.
  • Options
     said:
    @angelicac06 I have been putting her in the Moby and when we hike I put her in the baby bjorn but I just bought a kinderpack and got it today and I think I am gonna love it! It's more comfy and she looks way more comfortable and I feel like she has better support. I am also going to purchase a bouncer with hanging toys that light up and have high hopes with that. She layed on her back for 15 mins tonight on a blanket which was a first! I was talkin to her the whole time but baby steps! 
    @dmendo01  We LOVE our Kinderpack! I wouldn't get anything done without it. I vacuumed the whole house today while baby slept in there.

OP- My LO will only sit for about 5-10 min in her swing, bouncer, or rock n play, unless she is sleeping already when I set her down. When she's awake she will last the longest on her play mat. It lights up, plays music, and has lots of things that dangle. She has to be in the mood for it though, and at most has lasted maybe 20 min, and that's with me down on the floor with her.  She's 7 weeks. 

• Options
    Question about the kinderpack - when wearing baby their knees need to be higher than their butt (M shape/froggy position). Are they higher in it? I ask because those look great and I could really use a structured carrier for the store. 
  • Options
    At about week 6 DD discovered the "other baby" in mirrors. She first began staring and cooing at this little snail toy with a mirror that lights up when on the floor. Beginning at week 8 she still loves the floor mirror toy but is also content looking at the mirror that hangs from the top of the FP kick n' play piano that everyone else on here has talked about.  I usually put her on her back on the playmat while I'm showering and getting ready or else while I'm making breakfast in the morning (I can see her at all times), so she is content on that thing with the other mirror toy for a good 15-30 mins. She is 9 weeks now and the only downside to the kick n play is that she has started rolling to her side or moving a lot while on her back that she wiggles her legs outside of either side of the posts for the top bar. I suppose that might be her way of telling me she is done with play time! 
  • Options
    @Court11152325 I have only put DD in it once but I feel like any way you need them to sit they can!
  • Options
    My LO chills nicely for up to 20 minutes in her bouncer, bassinet or swing when she has a binky and no gas or hic ups.  She also loves staring at ceiling shadows and fan.  I switch on/off different lights to change shadows if she gets bored (disclaimer this only works about 50% of the time).  Also if she has the hic ups all bets are off!
  • Options
    Question about the kinderpack - when wearing baby their knees need to be higher than their butt (M shape/froggy position). Are they higher in it? I ask because those look great and I could really use a structured carrier for the store. 
    Yes! The shape of the panel is very conducive to that position. It allows the baby to have a "deep seat" so their knees are higher than their bum. I've tried on many other soft structured carriers & this is by far the comfiest for me and my LO. 
  • Options
    redfallon said:

My daughter HATED being worn, but wanted to be held all the time. It's exhausting! DS is cool with being worn and also cool chilling by himself in his bouncer. Go figure. 

They both liked/like the Kick N Play piano and Snuga-series bouncer chair by Fisher Price. DD hated the swing that we borrowed from SIL and we didn't bother with one for DS. 

There may be some light for you as DD was ok with baby wearing when she was about three or four months old in my Mei Tai. 

Kick n play piano https://www.target.com/p/fisher-price-kick-n-play-piano-gym/-/A-15044265

Bouncer chair https://www.target.com/p/fisher-price-deluxe-bouncer-my-little-snugapuppy/-/A-14588566

Mei Tai (I find this super easy to use) https://www.target.com/p/infantino-sash-mei-tai-3-position-baby-carrier/-/A-14334281

Ergo Original (I got one from a second hand children's shop with the infant insert for under $60) https://www.target.com/p/ergobaby-original-collection-bundle-of-joy-galaxy-gray/-/A-14176499

Good luck!
    @redfallon these are awesome! Thank you!
  • Options
     said:
    @angelicac06 I have been putting her in the Moby and when we hike I put her in the baby bjorn but I just bought a kinderpack and got it today and I think I am gonna love it! It's more comfy and she looks way more comfortable and I feel like she has better support. I am also going to purchase a bouncer with hanging toys that light up and have high hopes with that. She layed on her back for 15 mins tonight on a blanket which was a first! I was talkin to her the whole time but baby steps! 
    @dmendo01  We LOVE our Kinderpack! I wouldn't get anything done without it. I vacuumed the whole house today while baby slept in there.

OP- My LO will only sit for about 5-10 min in her swing, bouncer, or rock n play, unless she is sleeping already when I set her down. When she's awake she will last the longest on her play mat. It lights up, plays music, and has lots of things that dangle. She has to be in the mood for it though, and at most has lasted maybe 20 min, and that's with me down on the floor with her.  She's 7 weeks. 

@JackJacktheCat and @dmendo01 I will try it out! I need something sturdy because my LO is over 16 lbs already. Ps pics are adorable!