Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Two Different Ovulation Dates?

Stef33Stef33 member
edited January 2016 in Trying to Get Pregnant
Hello Ladies! 

I haven't been here in quite some time. I think it's been about four years since my DD was born and I was last on The Bump. 

Anyways, my SO are casually TTC at this point. I have been tracking my cycles and temping for quite a while. Typically I have used FF but for my current I have used FF as well as Ovia. 

My question is, have any of you ladies had issues with FF giving inaccurate ovulation dates? In the past I hadn't paid much attention because my cycles always vary and we weren't TTC, but now I'm wondering how accurate it really is. When I put all of my temps and dates into Ovia, it gave me a totally different O date (four cycle days apart). Out of curiousity, I put all of my info into another fertility tracker and it also gave me the same O dates as Ovia (four days after FF). 

So at this point I have an idea of when I ovulated but you ladies know four days is a big spread with this type of thing. I haven't used OPK's because I've heard they are unreliable but will probably invest for next cycle. 

Thoughts? 

Thanks ladies!

Edit: Added FF chart
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Two Different Ovulation Dates?

• Options
    britters314britters314 member
    edited January 2016
    This is a perfect question for the TWW thread, just for future reference.

It looks like FFs date is accurate, though if you get one more really high temp like the past 2 days, it might move your CH to CD 20 because CM matches up then.

What day does Ovia say you ovulated?

ETA: Your open circles might also be affecting things. Why do you have so many?
  • Options
    ArtlessIbexArtlessIbex member
    edited January 2016
    Hi! 
    I have used both FF and Ovia. Ovia, regardless of whether you input temps, figures your O date based on the standard cycle length you have. As far as I know, it isn't using the temps at all. It does use your CM input to determine if you might be fertile, but does not appear to use the temps.
    FF, on the other hand, uses all the info you input to determine the most likely O date.
    The problem here isn't that FF is miscalculating, but that Ovia and other trackers go by averages. Ovia and your other tracker are miscalculating.
    Based on your temps, FF has it right. Fewer open circles would make it more certain.
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you! I wasn't too sure where to post. I hadn't even considered the TWW thread. I'm guessing all of the open circles are just from such large temp differences. FF also says because I had fertile CM after O. I temp with the same method at almost the exact same time ever day so I'm not sure I can do much about that. Ovia says I o'd  CD20. The only reason I question that is because 1. FF says otherwise and 2. That would give me the longest cycle I've ever had. 
  • Options
    FF likes to move CH for me. This month I started my TWW (supposedly) at CD23 originally. The lines were dotted. Then my temp shifts have FF more to work with & they moved my CH to CD27. They are now solid. That's a big leap & makes are timing suspect.

So, I hear you and I might try Ovia's app next cycle just to see if this cycle is a bust. 

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Stef33 said:
    Thank you! I wasn't too sure where to post. I hadn't even considered the TWW thread. I'm guessing all of the open circles are just from such large temp differences. FF also says because I had fertile CM after O. I temp with the same method at almost the exact same time ever day so I'm not sure I can do much about that. Ovia says I o'd  CD20. The only reason I question that is because 1. FF says otherwise and 2. That would give me the longest cycle I've ever had. 
    FF wouldn't put in open circles just for large temp differences. It would be from temping at different times of the day or if you marked that you were drinking or sleep deprived. Are you temping at the same time every morning?
  • Options
    Yes; I temp between 5:20-5:45 every morning.
  • Options
    Oh and I don't drink (not even coffee unfortunately) since we have started TTC. 
  • Options
    Do you enter your temps when you temp?  Or later in the day?  If you enter them later in the day, do you change the time to reflect the time you actually took your temp?  In my experience, FF only gives open circles if you didn't temp within the same block of time.  Ie, I usually temp between 6:30-7 and on the weekend I temp at 9am, I get an open circle.
  • Options
    I enter the temp right away before I even get out of bed.
  • Options
    JayJay1212JayJay1212 member
    edited January 2016
    My first cycle ttc I started off using ovia and then added in FF a bit into my cycle. That cycle I O'd on CD 25. About a week earlier, ovia had basically said, "we're going to say that you O'd here". It made absolutely no sense and that is when I completely lost faith in ovia. Long story short, I would trust FF. 

Edit: awkward phrasing
  • Options
    I agree with all pp. When I first started I used every app going. I realised that ff was the only one that could actually 'think' with my data and the rest assumed standard ovulation regardless.

Me: 32 Him: 29 Live : London, UK
    TTC #1 since October 2015
    IVF Fresh Nov 16 = BFN
    IVF FET Jan 17 = BFP
    EDD: Oct 4th 2017
    TEAM: PINK!!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!
  • Options
    In any case, if AF comes (fingers crossed she doesn't) you will know which app you can trust more!
    BabyFruit Ticker