Infertility

question about BCP before IVF

2015dee2015dee member
edited January 2016 in Infertility
Hi everyone. I am getting ready to start my first IVF cycle and seem to be ridiculously anxious about each step of the process. The first step was that my RE had me on 400mg of prometrium for 7 days (the 20th-26th). He put me on this because I have very irregular periods (PCOS), and he said that would help me start a period. I still have not started my period. I am supposed to start birth control pills today, then have my saline sonogram on Friday (Feb 5). I called my nurse last week and asked her if I was still supposed to start bcps today if I haven't gotten my period, and she said the plan for me was to start bcp regardless of if I started my period. This just doesn't make sense to me. I thought the whole point of the prometrium was for me to have a period before starting bcp and having my saline sonogram. I thought the uterine lining was supposed to be thin to do the saline sonogram. I guess I have to listen to them, but it doesn't make sense to me....does it make sense to anyone else? Thanks for the help!

<3 *Loss & bfp mentioned*

me 28 (Lean PCOS, hypothyroid) dh 33
TTC #1 since early 2011
May 2011- natural pregnancy (metformin only); m/c @ 9 weeks + D&C
July 2011- lap to remove dermoid cyst
August 2012-current- 9 rounds of Clomid, 1 cycle of Femara, several cycles of soy isos, 1 IUI, O'd every cycle, BFN
August 2014- lap to remove uterine septum. Everything else looking good.
Moving onto IVF Feb/March 2016 Just kidding. Natural bfp 1/30/16.
1st beta 2/1 = 110. 2nd beta 2/3 = 332.

First ultrasound 2/19 - one baby with a heart rate of 127! EDD 10/11/2016

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: question about BCP before IVF

• Sorry @2015dee I don't have any better advice since my last post. I'm sure the nurse knows what she is talking about. And I think that technically prometrium would just make you have withdrawal bleeding, not a true period. Sorry this isn't more helpful!
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31
    Married June 2010, TTC since March 2014
    Blog: ourbinarystar.com

FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

• Your lining can be thinned without having a period.  I just came off of 5 weeks of birth control and never got a period.  My lining was 2.2mm at my ultrasound on "Day 3" and my doctor said that I may spot, but to not expect a period.
    Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • I didn't have a period before starting BCP this past Monday but they did have me come in for a "pre IVF" ultrasound and bloodwork. I'm sure they have dealt with this many times before and you may still spot once you start BCPs?

I totally feel you on the anxiety this being my first one too!!