3rd Trimester
Options

Breast Pump Through Insurance

satuttle1014satuttle1014 member
edited January 2016 in 3rd Trimester
Hi ladies,

I am wondering on some opinions on breast pumps. I plan to get a breast pump through insurance and way back when, when I called about it they gave me 3 approved suppliers. 

Suppliers: 1. Target Breast Pump program 
                 2. Byram
                 3. Edgepark

Brands of Pumps: Medela, Ameda, Spectra 9 Plus Advanced, Freemie Freedom, Hygeia, Spectra 2 Hospital Strength, Tomy First Year's and Nature's Bond. 

Any feedback if anyone has used or know someone who has used any of these suppliers or pumps, would be very helpful. Thanks. 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Breast Pump Through Insurance

• Options
    My Dr. wrote me a n rx that I took to a medical supply store to get mine, so I can't help there. I have the Medela Pump in Style and love it. If you are going f to be pumping a lot, a reliable double pump is what you need. Medela also has great customer service. I've heard of women having their pumps die and Medela overnighting them another pump for free. 
  • Options
    I love my Medela PIS, it is aopular brand and is easy to get extra parts for. I have heard great things about the Spectra as well.  I have also heard the Ameda is not as good as either.  

The the target program is easy, you call their number, submit a prescription if your insurance requires, and pick up your pump at your nearest target location.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I want the freemie freedom so bad!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I got my medela through the target program and it was super easy. I just gave them my information and they shipped me the pump within 7-10 business days. I think I got it the same week I ordered so pretty quick! They didn't even wait for my doctor to send the prescription they just gave me the information and I asked my doctor to fax it at my next appointment. If you have a target close to you they offer pickup at the store within 72 hours. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I went through the edgepark website on saturday and the medela pump was at my doorstep on Tuesday. I didn't have to get an rx, the website did it all for me. 
  • Options
    I also used edge park. Got the medals pump and it was literally at my house in 2 days. I had to put in info for them to contact my doctor but I'm not actually sure they did since it was so fast. 
  • Options
    Call target and have them do everything for you! I went through babys r us, very similar. 
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I decided to try Edge park. We will see what happens.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I used Edgepark too - super easy. Just make sure to sign the piece of paper that comes in the box and get it back to them - it's easy to miss if you aren't looking for it.
  • Options
    I used edgepark, and got a medela. I like my medela it does a great job, but I really wished I had looked into a freemie beforehand. I think I am going to ahead and get one for work.
  • Options
    I'd never heard of the freemie - very interesting! Did you ladies know that you can buy just the collection cups, as they are compatible with many other brands??
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I have an Ameda and I like it. I was exclusively pumping for the first five weeks so it got a lot of use and didn't have supply problems after getting in the swing of things. It's a closed system so there's no way breast milk can get inside the machine. It's a little loud and stores don't really carry Ameda brand stuff in store so some things need to be ordered online if you need or want extras.
    I find some Medela stuff is compatible though. 
  • Options
    I have a Medela, easy to use, the parts/accessories are fairly inexpensive and available almost anywhere.
  • Options
    I also have an Ameda and it's perfectly adequate. I only use it once a day but I have no complaints. Working on a freezer stash and doing just fine!

I bring my Medela hand pump to work with me. 
    Me: 34  DH: 35
    Married 2010
    TTC: Feb 2014, BFP 7/14/14, CP 7/18/14
    BFP 3/10/15 - DD #1 born 11/19
    TTC #2: Oct 2017, BFP 12/19/17, CP 12/22/17
    BFP 2/20/18 - EDD 10/31/2018
  • Options
    I picked mine up from Target last week. With my daughter I used Medela and loved it. I went with Medela again. A fellow bumpie suggested to get supplemental duck billed valves to solve the common issue with Medela of poor suctioning. She said it solves it. I am getting a set of 6 from Amazon for $5. The Target program was really easy to do. I also have a manual pump (from DD) that is Medela I used when I started losing my milk but also when I got some clogged ducts. It was very helpful when I didn't need to pump a lot out. I got the manual one on Amazon as well for $25.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• Options
    jonesl12jonesl12 member
    edited January 2016
    Got mine through edgepark and my doctors office set it all up. It's a medela and they shipped it to arrive when I was 28 weeks. Super easy and didn't cost a dime  
  • Options
    I went through Byram - so easy, just input your insurance information and doctor's info and they'll take care of the rest.  DS1 I had Medela PISA, DS2 I had the Hygeia Q.  HQ pumped circles around the Medela.  My Medela would take 45 minutes to get anything worth saving whereas the HQ I would get everything out within 15 minutes.  I love that the HQ is hospital grade and a closed system.  It just all around seems like a better pump. You can also use Medela part with the HQ.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• Options
    I'm another vote for the Medela Pump in Style. It worked well for me.

www.theydontfeedthemselves.com

My favorite activities and tips for surviving different phases with our twins!

• Options
    Medela here. Mine was havin an issue last week so Friday night I called the service line. Monday st 9 I came home from running errands and the replacement was on my front porch. Can't beat that. 
  • Options
    For those of you who got your Medela through Edgepark, can you post a picture of it? I'm just curious as to what it really looks like. The website makes it look really nice, but I have a feeling it's just the basic pump. Thanks!
  • Options
    I got my Medela PISA through Edgepark. I requested it on their website Wednesday morning and it was delivered on Thursday afternoon! For some reason, The Bump won't let me add a picture, but it looks just how it did on the website.
  • Options
    Trying again. It came with the power adapter, too, but I forgot to include it in the picture.

• Options
    I hated my Ameda.  It did nothing for me.  I ended up having to purchase a Medela out of pocket because it would take forever to drain one breast.
  • Options
    I'm getting mine through edgepark but I have to wait another 3 weeks to request it. Lurking from 2nd tri lol. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Lurking from 2nd trimester.... I still have 2 weeks until I can order mine but am really hoping for a Medela, although when I went for my prenatal lactation consultation I was told that the Spectra is really good as well and worth considering if given a choice. I don't think I get a choice though.
  • Options
    Trying again. It came with the power adapter, too, but I forgot to include it in the picture.

Thank you! I appreciate the visual!
  • Options
    @hobblingoblins I used edge park too! I think I oredered it on Sunday and it came today (Tuesday). I couldn't believe how fast they are! 

Warning for whoever plans on using edge park: a day or two after you order, you will receive an email with a pdf saying that they need you to sign it, so they can send you things. You do not have to sign this. This form is essentially saying that they used to sell your info automatically, but now they need your permission. I did not sign the doc and still received my pump. 
  • Options
    I just wanted to share my insurance breast pump experience with anyone who might be questioning how it works - maybe this will answer any questions someone may have about the process.

I called my insurance company first and told them I was 33 weeks pregnant and inquiring about a breast pump.  They asked for my policy number and informed me that I qualify for breast pump and insurance would pay the cost at 100%.  
    They gave me the phone number for the company they use (Care Centrix, in my case) to provide the breast pump.  
    I made the call and the recording stated if you were calling about your insurance breast pump to log onto medeladelivers.com.  Once there (or whichever site you are directed to for your pump) you go step-by-step with the ordering process, entering personal information, shipping address, current pregnancy status, etc.  You will be asked to provide an RX for your pump from your Doctor.  Just upload it and complete the final questions.
    I was completely covered for a Medela double electric pump kit.  There are additional pumps you can 'upgrade' to at an additional charge, but I chose my free pump.  Shipping should also be free.
    I was very surprised to find that my pump, which I ordered yesterday, was also shipped the same day. I was also happy the process was honestly so easy.   

The great thing is this is not a rental.  This is yours to keep without worries of having to return it once you are done.  I hope everyone is able to take advantage of this great deal through insurance!
  • Options
    I just wanted to share my insurance breast pump experience with anyone who might be questioning how it works - maybe this will answer any questions someone may have about the process.

I called my insurance company first and told them I was 33 weeks pregnant and inquiring about a breast pump.  They asked for my policy number and informed me that I qualify for breast pump and insurance would pay the cost at 100%.  
    They gave me the phone number for the company they use (Care Centrix, in my case) to provide the breast pump.  
    I made the call and the recording stated if you were calling about your insurance breast pump to log onto medeladelivers.com.  Once there (or whichever site you are directed to for your pump) you go step-by-step with the ordering process, entering personal information, shipping address, current pregnancy status, etc.  You will be asked to provide an RX for your pump from your Doctor.  Just upload it and complete the final questions.
    I was completely covered for a Medela double electric pump kit.  There are additional pumps you can 'upgrade' to at an additional charge, but I chose my free pump.  Shipping should also be free.
    I was very surprised to find that my pump, which I ordered yesterday, was also shipped the same day. I was also happy the process was honestly so easy.   

The great thing is this is not a rental.  This is yours to keep without worries of having to return it once you are done.  I hope everyone is able to take advantage of this great deal through insurance!
    Not sure if you have Cigna, but if you are covered through Care Centrix you likely have the option for other pumps as well. The Medela is just really popular, so they set up a separate ordering system. Care Centrix is the provider for me as well (through Cigna), and you can choose between the Medela PISA, Ameda Purely Yours, Hygeia Enjoye (which I picked), and Devon Nature's Bond (which I've never heard of). From what I've read, the Ameda isn't very good, and the Devon had pretty terrible reviews, but both the Medela and Hygeia are good options. I was excited to have a choice; when I initially spoke to someone at Cigna they couldn't tell me anything other than thinking I could get a Medela.
  • Options
    AEG84 said:

Not sure if you have Cigna, but if you are covered through Care Centrix you likely have the option for other pumps as well. The Medela is just really popular, so they set up a separate ordering system. Care Centrix is the provider for me as well (through Cigna), and you can choose between the Medela PISA, Ameda Purely Yours, Hygeia Enjoye (which I picked), and Devon Nature's Bond (which I've never heard of). From what I've read, the Ameda isn't very good, and the Devon had pretty terrible reviews, but both the Medela and Hygeia are good options. I was excited to have a choice; when I initially spoke to someone at Cigna they couldn't tell me anything other than thinking I could get a Medela.
    Yes, I have Cigna. I only had one pump offered to me at no cost, which was a Medela.  There were others available at an upcharge, but they were all also Medela brand, so I just stuck with the 100% paid one so I paid nothing out of pocket.
  • Options
    I went through mommy express, I think was the name,  and I called at 11:30 am on a thursday, pump was delivered the very next day! I also looked into aeroflow.com as well, they were actually cheaper on the upgrade options but I decided to go with what my insurnace would fully cover (medala pump in style advanced), in case I didn't use it. The upgrade options just came with "extras" same pump. 

• Options

Zombie thread