July 2016 Moms
Options

Dry skin and breakouts on face?

Is anyone else having horrible dry skin on their face and breaking out at the same time?  I'm 17 weeks along with my 3rd and I look like a teenager. I have woken up with a new zit on my chin everyday this week and my skin is so dry its flaking off!  I only wash my face in the morning and at night to take my makeup off and I'm moisturizing multiple times a day. I also drink a 100 oz of water a day, so def not dehydrated. I think the blemishes are hormonal and dryness may be because of the weather, but it's so frustrating. I feel hideous!  Anyone else having these issues?  Any suggestions?

Re: Dry skin and breakouts on face?

• Options
    Story of my life.. I have no suggestions I've spent hundreds of dollars on skin care and nothing seems to help.. 
  • Options
    I was using philosophy hope in a jar up until last summer. It's one of the only things that actually stopped the flaking. This is one reason where I LOVE Sephora or ULTA because you can try before you buy and spend a ton of money. I got so sick of spending $10 on a big bottle of lotion at CVS only to find that it didn't work for me. The philosophy stuff is expensive but a jar of it lasted me 6 months to a year. 

I totally hear you on the breakouts too. I have been trying to use more natural skin care (Ava Anderson, Burt's Bees) and it's just not cutting it for me :(
    Me (32) & DH (35)
    Married 10.10.10
    DD born 7.25.16 <3
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    bunkie999 said:
    Story of my life.. I have no suggestions I've spent hundreds of dollars on skin care and nothing seems to help.. 
    this.
    Me: 28 | Husband: 39
    Married March 2016
    DD: born 7.22.16
    DS EDD: 6.23.18
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    mandyjuliemandyjulie member
    edited January 2016
    I luckily don't have an issue while not pregnant, but during pregnancy, yes it's a hot mess. 

I googled it and we're just producing so much more oil when pregnant. The chin and jawline are most susceptible. Then, yeah, it's also just dry skin because...winter.

So I would probably stop moisturizing multiple times a day, @rackel, maybe just do morning and night. Even if it's oil-free it might be adding to the oil you're already over-producing. 

As for products, I'm currently using Belli face wash and spot treatment, which is specifically designed for pregnancy. It helps some, but honestly nothing's making the acne totally go away.

Also, my OB warned me that chocolate makes it worse. I'm not sure I believe her...old wives tale? Or maybe I just don't want to believe. DON'T TAKE MY CHOCOLATE

DD1: Born January 2013
    DD2: Due July 12, 2016
    Two rescue dogs 

BabyFruit Ticker

July 2016 - July Siggy: Weird Hot Dog Situations
  • Options
    bunkie999 said:
    Agreed, I have these issues even when not pregnant. 

OP, what types of cleaners/moisturizers do you use? I used to use scrubs and I found my skin improved a lot when I switched to something gentler. I use Neutrogena Ultra Gentle Daily Cleanser. Brands like Cetaphil and Cerave are also good. They make moisturizers as well. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Same here! I usually have decent enough skin but when I'm pregnant I look worse than a teenager going through puberty!!!!! I have yet to find something that works. 
  • Options
    My skin is so dry.  It usually is in the winter, but it's so much worse.  I've found baby shampoo works well for the dry scalp.  I just bought a Burts Bees night face cream.  Jury is still out on how well it works, but it smells good and feels nice so I like those aspects!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Me: 29 & Husband: 36                                                         
    Married: October 2014
    NTNP: April 2015 - June 2015
    M/C: June 2015
    TTC #1 since September 2015
    BFP: 11/9/15 - EDD: 7/24/16
  • Options
    Yes! All of the above.  I bought this scrub from bath and body works, and it has helped with the dry skin so I could then use lotion without getting all flakey.

https://m.bathandbodyworks.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11160985&cp=12586965.12587141.4191838
  • Options
    I wash face twice a day with boring basic gentle bar soap. Think plain dove or something. Then about 2-3 times per week I use this stuff. No other moisturizers because those make me break out. https://www.amazon.com/Alba-Botanica-Hawaiian-Scrub-Ounce/dp/B000NCTQV4 We're not nearly as dry in central Florida. Up north, I'd probably use scrub every day or every other day.

1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm having this exact problem as well! I have been trying Cetaphil for a the dry skin part which seems to be helping some but the horrible acne is still there. I'll be paying attention to this thread for more suggestions. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    YES. And it's the worst, most frustrating combination. My skin was like that before pregnancy, but pregnancy made it worse. I think the dry flakes were clogging my pores and contributing to the acne. It got better when I got a Clarisonic for Christmas. Since I started using it, my acne cleared up. It's a little miracle worker! My skin is still dry, but I can deal with that.
  • Options
    I have a zit beard right now and a flaky forehead. 
  • Options
    I'm having the opposite. I usually have dry skin but my forehead constantly feels it's been lathered in vasoline lol. I've had some breakouts accompanied with it but the overly oily forehead is just hard to deal with. I've been using neutrogena naturals pore scrub as a face wash and then their face moisturizer afterwards. Maybe I should try not using moisturizer but I just can't not use something.
    sahm.
    frequent lurker.
    married: 08-09-2013
    baby boy: 06-16-2016 at 34 wks.

• Options
    I have really, really dry skin all the time, not just pregnancy. I've found that washing my face too much contributed so now I only wash once a day - at night. It has helped a lot.

I don't have the blemish issue this pregnancy but it was horrible with my last pregnancy. I never found anything that helped with it, though :disappointed: 

July '16 May Siggy Challenge 

BabyFetus Ticker
    Me: 29
    DH: 32
    Married: June 2011
    DD #1: December 2013
    DD #2: EDD July 2016
  • Options
    I use Rodan + Fields Unblemish regimen.  It's face wash, toner, spot treatment, and moisturizer and it's amazing.  Even if I do get a zit, I put a little spot treatment on it, and it's gone by morning.  I think my face is the only part of my body that ISN'T dry and flaky right now.  
  • Options
    Definitely dealing with dry skin and more breakouts which just showed up in the last couple of weeks. 
    I use a bit of coconut oil as a moisturizer, its gentle and has anti-bacterial properties too. I try not to over wash or over exfoliate because that strips the skin of its natural oils and then it produces even more oil to replenish what's gone. 
    For blemishes I use lavender essential oil and that's helping so far!
  • Options
    If you're looking for more ideas for acne cures there is already a thread about this. Not sure if the remedies are the same as listed above 
  • Options
    I wash my face nightly with a Kiehls gentle face wash, then apply some jojoba oil under light moisturizer. I was told to do this by an aesthetician and my skin doesn't feel dry anymore. Depending on your skin type, coconut oil or grape seed oil are other options. I exfoliate with an origins daily scrub only once a week. I also try to treat myself to an origins charcoal mask when the acne starts to pop up. It's worked really well for me. 

• Options
    My skin is typically drier to begin with so I use a gentle face wash, Neutrogena Naturals Fresh Cleansing and Makeup Remover.  This typically works very well for me, cleans without over drying.  But I think the winter weather and pregnancy are just wrecking havoc on my face right now.  I've been using my Olay cleansing brush and layering Josie Maran Argan Oil and other moisturizers and that seems to be helping a bit with both the acne and dryness.  Hopefully this passes soon.  
  • Options
    I have a combination oily skin with dry patches, but I live in a high humidity environment so I don't get dry often. I agree with a PP about philosophy. I swear by their products. They can get a little pricey, but they are worth it. And yes, acne does suck, I am almost 30 and thought I was finally getting over it. One thing my aesthetician told me a few years back was not to use Oil of Olay moisturizers. Something about the ingredients causing those little under the skin white head looking things. Sorry I don't know the legit name for them!