Infertility
Options

IVF experiences.. share

So it looks like this is where we are headed. I know a little bit about it. Starting bcp's to regulate hormones, then the shots. are you put to sleep every ivf cycle? I know my nurse said they can freeze up to four embryos.. wondering how each cycle works? since you are taking BC in the beginning, can you still get pregnant on first ivf cycle? .. how many shots, all month long? Does anyone else have a blood clot d/o. ? I have factor V which means I would be on lovenox the entire time as well.. the whole thing is so scary to me.. just looking for some info on it and anyone's experiences. just want to be prepared for what is ahead of me.

Re: IVF experiences.. share

• Options
    @runner76 - I don't have a blood clotting disorder, but I've had a DVT before and my family has a history of blood clotting disorders. I won't be on Lovenox during IVF, but I will be on Lovenox for my entire pregnancy. I took Lovenox with my prior DVT. Honestly, it sucks and leaves big bruises. No fun. I haven't gone through IVF yet, so probably can't give as much helpful info as other ladies here. Good luck to you though! I imagine they will take you off the Lovenox a day or 2 before the embryo retrieval to minimize bleeding risk. I'm not sure though--that would be a good question for your RE and hematologist!

<3 *Loss & bfp mentioned*

me 28 (Lean PCOS, hypothyroid) dh 33
    TTC #1 since early 2011
    May 2011- natural pregnancy (metformin only); m/c @ 9 weeks + D&C
    July 2011- lap to remove dermoid cyst
    August 2012-current- 9 rounds of Clomid, 1 cycle of Femara, several cycles of soy isos, 1 IUI, O'd every cycle, BFN
    August 2014- lap to remove uterine septum. Everything else looking good.
    Moving onto IVF Feb/March 2016 Just kidding. Natural bfp 1/30/16.
    1st beta 2/1 = 110. 2nd beta 2/3 = 332.

First ultrasound 2/19 - one baby with a heart rate of 127! EDD 10/11/2016

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Never thought of that! I will need to ask Re.. I don't have a hematologist! maybe I should though.. I also had a DVT years ago and was on Coumadin for 6 months and lovenox which my previous pregnancy ten years ago..  I was on it whole time until I was induced for c section..  I assume they would take me off for the day before the embryo retrieval.. you are put to sleep for that correct?? 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hello!  I also have a blood clotting disorder and I echo @2015dee about speaking to your hematologist.  The hormones we take can raise our risk for blood clots.  My hema wants me on Lovenox during my infertility treatment and the duration of a pregnancy.  I'm not at the IVF stage, but posting your question in an IVF thread might generate more responses.
    Married Jan. 2014
    Me:36 DH: 39
    TTC since August 2014, Mild PCOS + uterine fibroids
    Myomectomy June 2015- 18 fibroids removed
    IVF #1, May 2016 = 32 eggs retrieved, 12 fertilized, 7 frozen, 3 PGS normal
    FET#2, July 2016 = one embryo transferred 
    TRIGGER
    BFP! Beta = 617
    Due date = 4/9/17
    Delivery date = 3/20/17
  • Options
    yes, the RE actually said he would have me on lovenox during treatment as well as throughout pregnancy.. after the HSG we tried on own and he had me take shots for two weeks before giving me a pregnancy test. Seems to be proactive.  he said i need to be on lovenox twelve hours before my laparoscopy.. that surprised me since i thought there could be a bleeding risk... i don't know though
  • Options
    @runner76 - You'll be surprised on the volume of medicine for IVF.  Everyone is different, so you could prescribed on the low or high end.  I did get pregnant on my first fresh IVF cycle.  I realize that was a huge blessing and we are blessed with our baby girl.  I will be doing a FET in March.  

To answer a couple of your questions:  I would expect you to be put to sleep on fresh cycles only.  The only time I was put to sleep was for the egg retrieval.  The embryo transfer itself isn't a big deal...I've had much worse procedures.  My clinic did a mock transfer.  I believe that is customary to help them understand your body, and for you to understand the procedure.  I'm surprised on the nurse comment on freezing four embryos.  I had only one left to freeze, but I know someone who froze more than 4.  [Background: I had 22 eggs retrieved, 13 were mature, 9 embryos fertilized normal.  We did genetic testing on the embryos...3 were "great", 1 "inconclusive", 5 not good.  We transferred 2, I became pregnant from one of them.  My other "great" embryo didn't make it to be frozen, so I'll be proceeding with FET on the "inconclusive" one.]