1st Trimester

Pregnancy and Breast Implants

Hello Ladies,

Do any of you have any experience with pregnancy and breast implants?  When I had mine done I wasn't sure that I'd have any more babies.  I'm 10 weeks pregnant (and couldn't be happier about it!) but I'm worried I won't be able to breast feed as my implants were put in through the bottom of the nipple.  I did call my doctor and he said everyone is different and it depends on how the milk ducts heal.  Just thought I' throw this out there and see if anyone has any experiences to share.

I was initially also concerned about my breasts getting too big (since they got so big the first time I was pregnant pre-implants) but at 10 weeks they have not grown at all so I'm thinking it won't be an issue?

Thank you & have a wonderful day!  :)

Re: Pregnancy and Breast Implants

• I was told that it shouldn't be a problem, but I guess there's no way to know if you'll be able to until your milk comes in. At 10 weeks it might just be too early for them to have grown much. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • MammaJamsMammaJams member
    edited January 2016
    I was able to breast feed my daughter for nearly a year when she weaned herself. I did have trouble with my right breast producing milk, but I don't know if that was a result of the surgery, or because that breast was underdeveloped to begin with (which is why I had the augmentation done) Hopefully you will have success, but really it's hard to say until the milk comes in.
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi. My plastic surgeon said I shouldn't have trouble breastfeeding due to the implants and I had a lift and implant (so the nipples had to be reattached). I was curious if you feel breast soreness at all. My nipples get a little tender here and there but I wouldn't say my breasts are painfully sore or anything like many women. I was wondering if that could be due to the implants or not.
    Married: 3/21/15
    First time mom to a human but have been a puppy mamma for over 12 years :)

BabyFetus Ticker

• Mine were placed under the breast and under the muscle and a few of my friends had the same and were able to breastfeed no prob.
    When I discussed BF with my surgeon a few years ago I was was told that..... 
    when the implant is placed through a incision around the areola it can potentially cause some issues BF  esp if your implants are placed over the muscle and not under. That goes for breast lifts and augments as well. 
    You wont know till you try I suppose. 
  • Thank you for the responses!   And yes my boobs have been on fire since well before I confirmed that I was pregnant. I didn't have that the first time I was pregnant so I'm thinking the implants must have something to do with it?  It's funny because after my surgery I lost nipple sensitivity for almost a year.  (They felt numb) so it's kind of weird now that they seem to be hyper sensitive but I don't mind.  Small price to pay!
  • I've had implants for like 10 years. Placed under the muscle from an incision under the breast. I could not breastfeed either of my kids. I tried like hell after my first child and tried for weeks but to no avail. I didn't make enough to feed him so I switched to formula.

With my second kid, I breastfed in the hospital for 24 hours (for the colostrum) then went right to formula. I have NO idea if it would have worked the second time but I didn't bother to try again. Could be me, could be the implants. No one knows for sure unfortunately. I did get seriously harassed about my implants by the LC in the hospital after my 2nd child was born but I told her to shove it.

Also, my boobs got pretty freaking big during each pregnancy but went back to normal after my kids were born. They even still look fabulous :)

• Your boobs will grow. You can count on that!! I have a couple of friends that have implants they the breastfed just fine.