November 2015 Moms
Options

its too early, but...

*I do not plan on introducing solids until 6 months*
With DD she was FF and I gave solids at 4 months with pedis okay. I will be making DS's baby food like I did DD's. I EBF so I don't really know how to add in solids without effecting my supply. Do I do breakfast, lunch, dinner wit my BM in between? Will my body get used to the change?

Re: its too early, but...

• Options
    Following. I was wondering about this the other day too. Obviously in the beginning the majority of calories will still come from breast milk (or formula), and the ratio will flip add they get older, correct? I'm interested in baby led weaning, and need to do some more research.
  • Options
    FTM but I read that you should nurse as usual and then feed with solids after, sort of like a supplement.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We did BLW with DS and he was BF. We started solids at 6 months. We offered solids just at dinner to start with because he mostly just played with the food and ate very little. As he started to eat more we offered solids at additional meals. He still was getting the majority of his calories from nursing until he was about 1. I was pumping at work and my supply stayed at the level it was before we started solids (I ended up with a lot of extra milk in thr freezer).
    The PP that mentioned milk first then solids is right, but DS was not eating a lot of solids so we did not worry about nursing first.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    With my daughter we started 1 meal a day at 6 months and then started adding in snacks like puffs. I think she took 2 meals a day around 8 months and it wasn't until closer to a year they she ate 3 meals. She nursed until 2.5 years without issue. 
    For her breast milk was her main source of food until 1.  I subscribe to the "food before 1 is just for fun" camp. it never affected my supply. 
  • Options
    With all 3 of my first, (2ebf 1ff) I started baby food at 4m. It didn't effect my supply because he was hungry anyway.  I would do 1/2 a small jar at first like every other day then gradually add more. Usually fed him in the middle of the day in between feedings.  I also liked adding rice cereal to some of the more liquid baby foods
  • Options
    Ceridwen77Ceridwen77 member
    edited January 2016
    Pontot31 said:
    With my daughter we started 1 meal a day at 6 months and then started adding in snacks like puffs. I think she took 2 meals a day around 8 months and it wasn't until closer to a year they she ate 3 meals. She nursed until 2.5 years without issue. 
    For her breast milk was her main source of food until 1.  I subscribe to the "food before 1 is just for fun" camp. it never affected my supply. 
    Love that motto!

To OP, i thought you weren't to introduce solids until 6mo? I plan to do BLW at that point. 
  • Options
    Do I have to give him solids? Is it essential for his growth?
  • Options
    Do I have to give him solids? Is it essential for his growth?
    Well not if you want to breastfeed him into adulthood....
  • Options
    I worded that wrong. I meant do I have to at 6 months. Could I wait until he gets teeth?
  • Options
    I worded that wrong. I meant do I have to at 6 months. Could I wait until he gets teeth?
    You can. But you also need to teach them
    how to eat. My daughter mostly played with food until about 10-11 months. That's what it's all about. Food before a year is just for fun and practice. The majority of her calories came from my milk until she was at least a year old. She got her first 2 teeth 3 weeks before she turned 1. However she was eating strips of chicken and vegetables before those teeth. We did a mix of purées and baby led weaning- where you give them whole pieces of food. Even without teeth their gums are strong and they can "chew."