September 2016 Moms
Options

SHARP anal pains..

Hey guys! I'm 5 weeks today, I've had quite a bit of complications already in the 3 weeks I have known..I found out by going to the ER for overy pain and bleeding waaaayy past my period.. turned out I was 2 weeks pregnant! I was diagnosed with a threatened miscarriage at my first appointment, turned out I needed a rhogam shot and then the bleed slowed. I had my levels checked twice a week and they were rising so my OB scheduled an ultrasound for February 4th. A few days ago I had crazy #2 cramps and passed gas and was relieved. Then I was constipated and finally got things flowing.. I had been getting rectal pains so sharp I felt like a knife was cutting me. I went to the er again, they were clueless. The pain is when I sit from standing vice versa or when I put direct pressure on my butt in general. When I try to go I feel a pain below my belly button, when the Dr gave me a rectal exam she said she felt a firm bump but was unsure if it was my secrum (tailbone) or if I was pained because my tilted utuerus. This makes me so nervous like I haven't already went through hell. The pain is not constant and only shoots up my colon when direct pressure is applied. HELP!

Re: SHARP anal pains..

• Options
    I had something similar to this a few weeks ago. I think it was just trapped gas or something. It's gone now.
  • Options
    I would ask my primary if they could refer me to a gastroenterologist.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    camichael84camichael84 member
    edited January 2016
    I agree that it sounds like trapped gas, but that I'd ask for a referral to a gastroenterologist.

Out of curiosity, how did they know you were 2 weeks pregnant at the ER? You are 2 weeks at the day of ovulation, and baby doesn't usually implant until around 3 weeks.

• Options
    It's possible the pain can be from internal hemorrhoids if the doctor didn't see anything on the external anus. Hemorrhoids can be very painful and are common in pregnancy. Only your doctor can really help you or make a diagnosis, pregnancy does weird things to the body.
  • Options
    I had something similar at the beginning of this and my last pregnancy. It was quite hard to distinguish whether it was gastrointestinal or reproductive system pain but it eventually went away and I was fine. I will warn though that I also had very similar, but worse pain with my 2nd pregnancy and that was from a ruptured ovarian cyst. It was painful unlike anything I've ever experienced before (even childbirth). What did your doctor say to do? Sorry you've had it so rough already.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options
    tinypikachutinypikachu member
    edited January 2016
    Huh, tbh, I can totally relate. My story has no bearing on yours and I'm no doctor so I would 100% check with your GP to go to a gastroenterologist. 

I've had IBS (with constipation) since I was about 15 and this happens to me constantly. It's gotten worse since I got pregnant (along with terrible gas and constipation cramps) to the point that I've felt like I'm going to pass out. I am used to it and can 100% differentiate between worrisome cramps and IBS pain but I would really suggest you go to a doctor to get this checked out, especially if you're doubled over in pain. It sounds gastrointestinal for you but there are ways to get relief. When not pregnant, I've noticed I get the sharp rectal spasms at their worse when I ovulate and this is a symptom of endometriosis as well, which my OB thinks I might have, but we haven't pursued that since, thankfully, I've been able to get pregnant without much trouble.

So, in all honesty, it could be several different things, including hemorrhoids. I just wanted to share my story so you'd know that it could be several things and doesn't necessarily mean something bad.
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    First, if you're constipated, treat that. It may not be the main problem, but it definitely will add to it. 
    DD1 6.2011 
    DD2 4.2013 - vbac
    DS1 9.2016 - vbac, team green
    Baby #4 due 9.2018
  • Options
    Honestly, it doesn't sound OB related...and I second camichael84, not sure how they would have known you were two weeks pregnant. 
  • Options
    With my first pregnancy I was extremely constipated and did a lot of pushing every time I had to go.  After the baby I was so worried to leave baby alone while I went to the bathroom I would usually just push as hard as I could so I would go really quickly.  Well, after a couple years of seriously over-pushing I ended up with hemorrhoids and an anal fissure.  I used topical steroids for months, and eventually tried suppositories, too, before it cleared up.  If that hadn't have worked, the next step was a Botox injection in the hiney or surgery.  Thankfully it didn't come to that.  The pain you're describing is exactly what my fissure felt like.  Sometimes I would double over in pain and just cry.  It would strike anytime and was very unpredictable.  With this new pregnancy I felt some of those familiar painful twinges and have been using coconut oil on my butt and perineum, as well as applying a tucks witch hazel wipe everyday and so far it's been ok.  If I were you I would absolutely have your OB check out your butt so if you are headed for trouble down there you can stop it before it gets any worse.  Good luck!