Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Walk in closet=room for baby?

taylorj513taylorj513 member
edited January 2016 in Babies: 0 - 3 Months
So the new apartment we're getting we're going to have a walk in closet the size of a small room and my fiancé is saying we have to keep the baby in our room and I've brought up just putting her in the walk in closet and keeping the door open, but he wants to put a bed in there for his kids from a previous marriage even though our baby is going to be there more than they are, which I think doesn't make any sense. However he seemed open to having the baby in there when his kids aren't staying with us and putting her in our room when they come. Plus I think it'll be better for when we're sleep training the baby to not have her in the same room. What do you guys think?

Re: Walk in closet=room for baby?

• I plan on having my baby in my room for quite a while - probably up to a year or at least while there are still a lot of night time feeds. So much easier to get more sleep when I just pick him up, nurse and then go back to sleep.
  • How many bedrooms is the apartment? Legally, if there are no windows, you can't use it for a bedroom.
  • Loading the player...
  • mhwood said:
    How many bedrooms is the apartment? Legally, if there are no windows, you can't use it for a bedroom.
    Of course you can. It just can't legally be considered a bedroom when you are buying/selling/renting the property out to someone.

This. The cops won't break down the door and arrest you for letting a kid use a closet for a bedroom.
  • Is your apartment only one bedroom?

This whole post is a little odd so I'm not exactly sure what advice to give. If you don't have any other bedroom and 2 kids plus a baby need to share a closet then maybe you need a different place to live. I understand finances might play a big role in your apartment choice but why move into a place that doesn't have even close to enough room for all those kids???

OP you might want the baby next to your bed in a bassinet or RnP for at least the first few weeks, then you can think about where to put her next. A closet is fine IF that's the only option.

• mhwood said:

How many bedrooms is the apartment? Legally, if there are no windows, you can't use it for a bedroom.

Of course you can. It just can't legally be considered a bedroom when you are buying/selling/renting the property out to someone.

This. The cops won't break down the door and arrest you for letting a kid use a closet for a bedroom.

This made me laugh.
    My mom has one of those big under stairway closets. She put sleeping bags in there and set it up as a room for my niece and nephew when they visited. Once more grandkids came along it was not practical b/c they all didn't fit but they used to LOVE it. Apparently she should be in jail!

OP, agree with PP that you may want to consider something by your bed for baby in the short term and hopefully you can swing finances for a bit more space eventually.

For what it's worth, I have 2 siblings and we all shared a room growing up. You can totally work with small spaces.
    Married DH 08.28.10
    Pregnancy #1: BFP 04.10.11 EDD 12.23.11 DD1 Born 12.4.11
     Pregnancy #2: BFP 5.12.14 MC 5.20.14 @ 5wk4d
    Pregnancy #3: BFP 11.1.14 EDD 7.5.15 MC 11.13.14 @ 6wk4d
    Pregnancy #4: BFP 1.31.15 EDD 10.5.15 DD2 Born 9.23.15

• mhwood said:

No but OP should probably consider whatever custody agreement her fi and his ex wife have. A lot of custody agreements lay out the need for a suitable living environment for children. And I doubt a walk in closet with one bed (for multiple kids) shared with a newborn will qualify.

THIS is true. FTR, I don't think all these kids sharing a closet is a good idea but if they have no other choice, then hopefully they can find a way to make it work AND appease the mom of the FI's kids.

• mhwood said:

Lmao I didn't know what to say for this post but I was thinking the same thing. I don't really get it is it a 1 bedroom or 2? Honestly I say if there are other kids staying at the apartment at times those kids need a real bedroom and share your bedroom with the baby until you can afford a bigger place.
  • mhwood said:

No but OP should probably consider whatever custody agreement her fi and his ex wife have. A lot of custody agreements lay out the need for a suitable living environment for children. And I doubt a walk in closet with one bed (for multiple kids) shared with a newborn will qualify.

THIS is true. FTR, I don't think all these kids sharing a closet is a good idea but if they have no other choice, then hopefully they can find a way to make it work AND appease the mom of the FI's kids.

I doubt much will appease the mom, considering this guy is 28 and the OP is 16.

Yep. Just discovered that important piece of information. Oh lord.
  • So the new apartment we're getting we're going to have a walk in closet the size of a small room and my fiancé is saying we have to keep the baby in our room and I've brought up just putting her in the walk in closet and keeping the door open, but he wants to put a bed in there for his kids from a previous marriage even though our baby is going to be there more than they are, which I think doesn't make any sense. However he seemed open to having the baby in there when his kids aren't staying with us and putting her in our room when they come. Plus I think it'll be better for when we're sleep training the baby to not have her in the same room. What do you guys think?

QFP
  • That's a good point, I never really thought of that. This is why you ask questions. Thanks so much! 
  • How big is this closet? My walk in is a 6x8 and looking at it we could put a mini crib against one wall and a small dresser to double as a changing table and possible still fit a small old fashioned rocking chair. I would take the door off the hinges as it shouldn't be shut with a baby in there and no windows. That doesn't solve the issue of his other children when they visit though. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker