ECV.. Did you? Will you? — The Bump
February 2016 Moms

ECV.. Did you? Will you?

Who with a breech babe is going to have or already had external version done? We just scheduled ours for Monday. My H is not on board at all (is concerned about the risk), but said it's ultimately up to me.

I am concerned about the risk, but the OB doing it has only had one turn into a c/s due to issues with baby's heart rate. The MW has assisted with many, and has never had a problem, and said she'd do it if she was in my position. TBH, my biggest fear is a cord accident. I would never forgive myself if something happened and it was because I didn't want a repeat c/s. :( Ugh, decisions are the worst.

image

 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: ECV.. Did you? Will you?

  • I live in southern Louisiana and when I asked my OB about doing this for my little one, she told me that she hadn't done them in a few years due to the high level of risk and even discomfort for us as the moms.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I've chosen to do it twice now, based on the research that I've found. I know that you are more than informed and capable of doing that on your own, but I do remember the medscape article I read recently on ECV had a good summary of several studies specifically on ECV after a prior C-section - if you're interested.

    I haven't had a section, and felt that what I read was the the inherent risk of an ECV was much lower than of a C-section (which is in quite safe!), so I went ahead and did it. One worked, the other didn't, so I'm right around the generally quoted 50% success rate;)

    Best of luck! Decisions really are the worst, especially at this stage. I have no doubt you'll make the best decision for you and baby, whatever that is!
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

  • I'd exhaust all other options before trying this. I've heard going to a chiro (who specializes in pregnancy/ Webster technique) works wonders. I definitely recommend trying that before the ECV.
    Lindsaym5!
  • I plan on going to the chiropractor this afternoon, but will only be able to get in once before the scheduled version on Monday because I have to work Thursday and Friday. (I'll be 37w on Monday, and they don't like to do them much later than that). I should've started going sooner, but my work schedule just wouldn't allow. (And here we are with mom guilt again.. I should've made it a priority to go).

    I feel so on the fence, but I know I'd regret it if I didn't try. I really struggled emotionally after my c/s, and would like to avoid that this time, particularly since it will be our last.

    image

     

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

  • I had one scheduled right before I was going to be induced. Went in on Monday and the ultrasound showed he flipped!!!

    I am just 37 weeks 3 days now. Give little one some time, they know what needs to be done. But I know the stress it adds. I used a flashlight on my lower abdomen as well as heating pads/ ice packs to get him to move. Did a few yoga poses before bed.

    Good luck! Hope the chiropractor can help, but there are some easy things to try at home too!
  • I'm having one done on Tuesday. I am struggling with the decision. I decided to schedule it and try spinning babies, and some other "home remedies" I've read about, to see if I can get her to flip on her own. I had a vaginal birth with my first and was really hoping for a med-free delivery this time. I figure if it seems sketch or if I'm too uncomfortable I'll just tell them to stop and schedule a c-section instead. I'll be 37w5d on Tuesday.

    Good luck!
    TTC #1 Since December 2009
    BFP #1 05/16/10 EDD 01/13/11 natural m/c 11w1d (unknown cause)
    BFP #2 03/24/11 EDD 12/06/11 missed m/c D&C 10w (Triploidy xxx)
    BFP #3 12/24/11 EDD 09/02/12 missed m/c D&C 10w4d (Triploidy xxx)
    BFP #4 02/10/14 EDD 10/19/14  - Baby boy made his arrival 10/02/14!
    BFP #5 05/08/15 EDD 01/19/16 C/P 05/14/15
    BFP #6 06/05/15 EDD 02/18/16 *It's a GIRL!!*

    BabyFetus Ticker

    My Blog     My Chart
  • If my baby was breech I would definitly try it, my husband was on board when I asked him his thoughts. I had a friend at 39 weeks do a version but it was unsuccessful. She said her experience was uncomfortable but not painful. At 40 weeks the day before her scheduled c-section her baby girl flipped to head down and she had a vaginal births. I've heard pros and cons. But I think you two should definitly be on the same page and just be aware of the risks. Good luck Hun
  • Such a hard call. I did a lot of research on this, as I'm sure you've done as well, and was comforted by the findings, as the risk is very, very low. Baby was breech at 36 weeks, but when I showed up for my version at the hospital yesterday at 37 weeks, baby was back to head down. My biggest qualm with the procedure was that there is no guarantee she won't flip back over! She still may! My OB had only ever seen one case where the fetal heart rate decreased, and in that case, it did pick right back up again and no treatment was needed. My mom has two maternity nurse friends that she asked about the procedure, and both said they had never seen any serious complications.

    Good luck to you regardless of what you decide. Hopefully, baby will turn back on their own!

    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My Baby Penguins
    DD1: 9/19/11
    DS: 1/1/14
    DD2: 1/31/16




    CanadianGamerMom
  • VitaLuna said:

    I plan on going to the chiropractor this afternoon, but will only be able to get in once before the scheduled version on Monday because I have to work Thursday and Friday. (I'll be 37w on Monday, and they don't like to do them much later than that). I should've started going sooner, but my work schedule just wouldn't allow. (And here we are with mom guilt again.. I should've made it a priority to go).

    I feel so on the fence, but I know I'd regret it if I didn't try. I really struggled emotionally after my c/s, and would like to avoid that this time, particularly since it will be our last.

    :( I'm sorry that it's so tough. Was your first CSection due to baby being breech? Just curious.

    Here's a couple things, just for the chance that they might make you even a littl feel better. With my first, the one that didn't flip during the ECV, they only gave it three quick tries. It only took a couple minutes. They could tell very quickly that he did not want to move, and they respected it. Made me feel safer - that they didn't just try to use all their might to force it. The second thing is that even after that being ineffective, it only took one trip to the Chiro for Webster to work! So give it a try and try to let go of that guilt mama! I didn't know about Webster with my first until the after the version, because they sent me straight from my 37 week appt, so I was almost 38 when I finally got to the Chiro! You're doing your best! You're busy and 9 months pregnant! It's okay!
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

  • @MississippiCatfish At my 37w appt with DD, they discovered that her fluid was way too low (it had been low from about 32wks, but not so severely). I knew she was breech, and had been going to a chiro for Webster, but I think she just didn't have enough space/fluid to turn. Because of her low fluid, ECV was out of the question and they went straight for a c/s.

    I saw the chiro this afternoon, and asked to be switched to an 8 hr shift tomorrow (instead of 12) so I could get in tomorrow, too. I think I may see if they can wait until late next week to do the version, to get two more visits in and also to try to be more on top of the spinning babies exercises. I can't do them at work, so I haven't been consistent, but I will be off after this week.. Hooray!

    image

     

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

  • VitaLuna said:

    @MississippiCatfish At my 37w appt with DD, they discovered that her fluid was way too low (it had been low from about 32wks, but not so severely). I knew she was breech, and had been going to a chiro for Webster, but I think she just didn't have enough space/fluid to turn. Because of her low fluid, ECV was out of the question and they went straight for a c/s.

    I saw the chiro this afternoon, and asked to be switched to an 8 hr shift tomorrow (instead of 12) so I could get in tomorrow, too. I think I may see if they can wait until late next week to do the version, to get two more visits in and also to try to be more on top of the spinning babies exercises. I can't do them at work, so I haven't been consistent, but I will be off after this week.. Hooray!

    Gotcha. I was just curious because I kind of wonder if there's just something about my anatomy that makes my babies want to be breech, ya know?

    Keep us updated and best of luck! Even an 8 hour shift is tough at this point - I give you lots of credit. Holding out hope that you can still get your VBAC VitaLuna:)
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

  • My MW is getting the OR records from where DDs c/s was done to see if there's anything in the report that indicates why she was breech (other than fluid), like an oddly shaped uterus, since that would make the odds of two breech babies more likely. Congrats to us for hitting the not-so-lucky lottery twice! Or not..

    image

     

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

    MississippiCatfish
  • It might be kind of a hippie long shot... but you could try acupuncture. Can't hurt, and I've seen it work!
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy


  • I had an ecv with my first pregnancy. It was very painful and unsuccessful but I have heard many people say the pain was not that bad and many success stories. My son did have a bit of distress and apparently I came close to an emergency csection. However everything was fine and 2 weeks later I had my son via csection since the little bugger was still breech. Having my experience, I would not do again. But if it were my first experience i wouldn't hesitate.
  • I'm 37 weeks (FTM) and baby is breech. My OB advised against an EV because of the risk factors, the main one being that the placenta can detach and cause major bleeding. But she said it was up to me, and she'd try an EV if that's what I want. After a lot of research on my own, I've decided to skip the EV and go with a scheduled c/s. My biggest fear is going through hours of labor, baby flipping back or having some other complication, and having to have a c/s anyway. 

    I had an u/s Monday to confirm baby's position, and my amniotic fluid was low. I have no idea how long it's been low, since I hadn't had an u/s since 28 weeks, but that's likely why baby is breech. I spent the night hooked up to an IV and my fluid level is better, and I've been guzzling water nonstop since then. Baby is at 7lbs now, so I doubt it has much room to turn at this point, even if it has more fluid. 
  • @VitaLuna any updates? Thinking of you!! Hoping all is well and baby is head down, one way or another!
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

  • I rescheduled the ECV for Thursday so I could get a few more chiro visits in (I'm going M, T, W this week). She still has her big ol head stuck up. :( 

    image

     

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

  • I just read the breech baby chapter in my HypnoBirthing book.  They say hypnotherapy is very successful for turning babies. Also acupuncture, acupressure, and/or reflexology might help.
  • Our baby is breech at 35 weeks and we are looking at our options. First order of business is working with a yoga instructor on some of the exercises and recommendations like in spinning babies. If we opt for the ECV it will be late next week or early during week 37. Good luck to all the Moms out there with little ones who need to get their heads down!
  • Just got back from my appointment which confirmed that baby flipped into a breech position this past Monday. I am currently 37w6d and scheduled an ecv for next Monday. I am a STM, first was a vaginal delivery. Really hoping he flips back on his own before Monday. They perform the ecv in the OR with an epidural in place. So, I feel confident that if it becomes emergent, they could get baby out fast with no delay.
  • VitaLuna said:
    I rescheduled the ECV for Thursday so I could get a few more chiro visits in (I'm going M, T, W this week). She still has her big ol head stuck up. :( 
    Little stinker!  I can relate so much to the stress of not knowing whether baby will ever cooperate.  Thinking of you often!
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

  • @VitaLuna yay!! I hope she stays put that way for you!

    VitaLuna
  • I had an ECV this past Monday. It was unsuccessful but I'm glad I tried it. I would have loved to give birth naturally again (this is baby no2) but unfortunately it looks like it's not to be. The ECV was painful in parts but not unbearable me and baby were  very well looked after. They watched via ultrasound throughout and I was kept in on the fetal heart monitor for 2 hours afterwards to be sure she was ok then we were free to go. No adverse effects. 
  • @VitaLuna - I'm glad it worked! I hope baby stays head down!
  • Glad it was successful! I had an ECV done this past Tuesday and it was successful  too. He's been breech most of my pregnancy and with how far along I am (38w today), the MW wasn't very confident he'd flip on his own.

    I found it quite painful (not nearly as bad as labour pains but definitely painful) and I wasn't given any drugs (which I preferred). I felt fine right after but the next day I felt like I had bruising on the 2 spots he was pushing on the most. I also find it so much easier to do certain things (like pick up the billions of small toys my daughter leaves on the floor. It's still a challenge and is uncomfortable but not nearly as bad as when he was breech).

    Anyways, I've got all my things crossed that he stays head down!
    image
    MississippiCatfishsmn14
  • VitaLuna said:

    The terbutaline they give is no joke, though. I felt like I was coming down off something... Heart racing, super flush, and jittery/shaky. Awful stuff! But, worth it if I this ends up being the magic ticket for a VBAC. :smiley: 
    Seriously. I don't know if you had to fast, but I hadn't had anything to eat or drink in 8 hours and then the drug...So shaky and nauseating!  It should be illegal to do to a pregnant lady!  :/
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

  • @MississippiCatfish I hadn't eaten since 10pm and they were supposed to start at 7:15am. Well, they waited until 8:30 because another OB was potentially needing to take someone else to the OR, and they wouldn't do the version unless the OR was completely open. I tried to get my husband to sneak me some ice chips, but no luck. He got mad at me, saying I "know better than that". You're right, I know that a couple ice chips won't kill me if I end up in surgery, so get me the damn ice chips!

    image

     

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

    MississippiCatfishegraves4
  • Mine was scheduled for 1pm. I wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything past 9am. I didn't get the version done until 330pm,  then had to be monitored for a few hours afterwards. I don't think I ate anything until about 8pm. They gave me a bit of apple juice while I was being monitored, but I felt like crap because I normally drink tons of water throughout the day and I hadn't eaten all day, 
    image
    MississippiCatfish
  • Mine was scheduled for 1pm. I wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything past 9am. I didn't get the version done until 330pm,  then had to be monitored for a few hours afterwards. I don't think I ate anything until about 8pm. They gave me a bit of apple juice while I was being monitored, but I felt like crap because I normally drink tons of water throughout the day and I hadn't eaten all day, 
    This was pretty much my exact timing, except I packed a sack lunch and started munching halfway through my monitoring...girls gotta eat!!
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

  • My version isn't until noon and I can't have anything after midnight!! I am fine with that though, I don't need to be aspirating and getting a nasty pneumonia if I get nausea from the epidural again. Question I didn't think to ask my OB, if they do get the baby turned, will your OB induce right away so they can't flip again or do you just cross your fingers that they don't flip again? It seems to be 50/50 online, but I think if baby flips, my OB will monitor then send me home hoping he doesn't flip again.
  • @rachrobertson I'm sure they would've told you if they planned to induce right after. My OB said she has done it before (induction after version), but that person was 39+ wks.

    image

     

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

  • I will be 3 days shy of 39 weeks at my version. They told me I could electively induce at 39 weeks, but I had no reason to until now. Now, I want him out, head first, and no more issues! I had a mc before this pregnancy and we have had a few bumps with this little guy so I just want him in my arms. I may opt for that elective induction if he doesn't come on his own and is successfully flipped. I was induced with DD and handled it well, and was already starting to dilate at 36 weeks this time around.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards