October 2015 Moms

my baby wakes up crying and very scared at night.

sigarcia26sigarcia26 member
edited January 2016 in October 2015 Moms
Hello all, for the past 3 weeks my baby girl wakes up at night crying and very scared. She is 3 months. Does anyone has the same issue? Thanks!

Re: my baby wakes up crying and very scared at night.

• My son did that once. He had been down for about an hour and we heard him wake up squealing and crying. We rushed in to get him and after a few minutes of holding and swaying him he calmed right down. He wasnt hungry and didn't need a change. My husband and i figured maybe he just woke up and was afraid no one was around? he hasn't done it since though and that was about 2 weeks ago.
  • Our little boy does this too. He will be sleeping for about an hour then wake up wailing and crying and it's not possible to calm him without picking him up. It's like he isn't even really awake, his eyes stay shut but he is screaming. I'll rock him and try to hum songs to him until he calms and then he falls back asleep. But he will do this then like every 20 min or so and eventually I just bring him to bed with us and he sleeps the rest of the night.
    I have no clue what's going on, so I realize I'm no help on this issue but you're not alone.
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO wakes up from naps like this sometimes. She wakes from a dead sleep screaming her most awful scream, doesn't open her eyes and isn't calmed easily. It scared me the first time but she calms down and goes back to sleep eventually, usually within 2-3 mins. I have no idea why, but she's fine when she wakes up for real. No advice or anything, just sharing my experience.
  • My LO was doing this a lot until I cut out dairy, I suspect it was his bowels hurting him. If you are breastfeeding you may consider if your LO has food allergies
  • My LO does this about once a night. I am not BF so I know it's not an allergy. I asked his Ped and he said babies can have night terrors this young so that's what I think it is.
  • Mine does this. They have bad dreams. I just talk to her and she settles down. It's both cute and sad when she jumps in her sleep.
  • My LO was doing this a lot until I cut out dairy, I suspect it was his bowels hurting him. If you are breastfeeding you may consider if your LO has food allergies

You shouldn't remove dairy without talking to your child's doctor.
  • meganraschkemeganraschke member
    edited January 2016
    :'( that's so sad that they can have night terrors.

@LaurenBee24 my doctor suggested a full elimination diet
  • @meganraschke how long after you cut out dairy did you notice a difference. My LO had microscopic blood in his diaper so they told me to cut out dairy and soy. Actually, I already avoided both because of my own allergies but I can tolerate butter so that's really the only thing I had to cut out. Today's our third day and I haven't noticed any change unfortunately, still hours of discomfort and screaming. 
  • Louisl said:
    @meganraschke how long after you cut out dairy did you notice a difference. My LO had microscopic blood in his diaper so they told me to cut out dairy and soy. Actually, I already avoided both because of my own allergies but I can tolerate butter so that's really the only thing I had to cut out. Today's our third day and I haven't noticed any change unfortunately, still hours of discomfort and screaming. 
    It takes about 4 weeks for dairy to clear. We are still having issues months into a total elimination diet. 

• :'( that's so sad that they can have night terrors. @LaurenBee24 my doctor suggested a full elimination diet
    Awesome. So many people on the internet just do it, and suggest It to other moms.... So, I get worried because It can be so dangerous to the little ones. Ive been on TED for a long time. It doesn't get easier, but I've lost a bunch of weight. Hope your lo is improving.
  • @Louisl we are 6 weeks in and just now seeing an improvement in diapers. I'd say the discomfort went first and now his excema is improving slowly but surely. 

@LaurenBee24 I completely agree, I've lost about 15lbs just by cutting out dairy and soy! 

Im pretty much eating a mix of vegan an auto immune paleo. I'm pretty sure I was allergic to something I was eating because I feel much better, less foggy 

sorry for post jacking OP it wasn't intentional
  • Yes sorry OP!  But thanks @meganraschke
  • My nephew is terrified of the dark that could be a problem, maybe get a nightlight? Or they can get night terrors. My son did this once and he had a headache so I don't know sorry :/ 
  • My LO is 13 weeks and maybe once a week lets out a horrible scream in the middle of the night. By the time we get to her she is usually back asleep...or maybe she was asleep the whole time. Othertimes she looks wide eyed and scared. I think she is having nightmares. 
  • I also wondered about the possibility of night terrors at this age.