Babies on the Brain
Options

Vacay before babies - where would you go??

Hello ladies! 

DH and I and our best friends (another couple) want to do a big(ger) vacation before we both intend to start TTC later in the year. Any suggestions on where you would go?! We are looking in the North/South American or Europe areas. Places one or the other have already been include - England, Ireland, France, Italy, Spain, Maine, Vermont, LA, Colorado.  We are big into craft beer, skiing, hiking and big foodies :smiley:  Thanks everyone!!

BabyFruit Ticker

[spoiler]

Me: 28  Him: 30

Married: 11/15/14

TTC: 02/2016

IF DX: MFI (low count & morphology) & mild PCOS

June 2016 BFP - MC @8w2d

August 2016 BFP - MC @6w1d

June 2017 - 50 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI = BFP 7/6/17!!

Beta #1 = 422 (14dpo), Beta #2 = 810, prog - 12.3 (16dpo), Beta #3 = 5023, prog - 18.9 (20dpo)

[/spoiler]

Re: Vacay before babies - where would you go??

• Options
    Because of the issues which the zika virus, I wouldn't recommend traveling to south American counties if you plan on becoming pregnant anytime soon. You should check with your health care provider to be sure though.

Personally, I would love to visit Germany.
    My husband and I just took a small weekend vacation to see a rock concert. That was our last get-away before ttc
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We're going to Amsterdam, which meets the food and beer qualifications. Within the US, Burlington, VT would be amazing for all four of your interests.
  • Options
    Craft beer, food, and hiking = Asheville, NC
  • Options
    We had a great time visiting some of the national parks. Lots of hiking/white water rafting/outdoorsy stuff glacier national park was fun. Yellowstone is fun but more "family oriented" with more kids stuff to do than glacier. 
    One of the best trips we went on was san francisco. Not a far drive to go hiking in redwoods. Lots and lots of amazing places to eat. Not to mention how close it is to wine country. Alcatraz and china town (during the day) is a must. Was reasonably priced. 
  • Options
    I second Amsterdam. It's significantly different than any of the other places you guys have been in Europe and I don't know anyone who's been there and not loved it.

Living in Colorado for a while turned me in to a total mountain snob, so if you're used to that you may be disappointed by the skiing in Europe. 

FWIW I just got back from South America and did a standard level of insect repellent - neither my husband nor I got bitten once. Plus Zika is just a couple mild symptoms and maybe a rash if you're not pregnant, and as long as it's out of your system before you conceive, you're in the clear. 
  • Options
    We're going to Disney and West Palm Beach in October for our 6th anniversary. One last vacation just us before it's no longer just us. 

Now there's a fun, yet scary thought.  :)
    Married: 10-2-2010
    Punk's birthday: 3-28-17
  • Options
    maddaddam said:
    I second Amsterdam. It's significantly different than any of the other places you guys have been in Europe and I don't know anyone who's been there and not loved it.

Living in Colorado for a while turned me in to a total mountain snob, so if you're used to that you may be disappointed by the skiing in Europe. 

FWIW I just got back from South America and did a standard level of insect repellent - neither my husband nor I got bitten once. Plus Zika is just a couple mild symptoms and maybe a rash if you're not pregnant, and as long as it's out of your system before you conceive, you're in the clear. 
    Be wary of this advice. Though a woman can TTC a few weeks after leaving a Zika infected area because the virus would be out of her bloodstream by then, no one knows how long the virus lasts in semen. We do know it lives in semen longer than in blood and can be transmitted sexually. So while a potential mama can travel to a Zika area if she'll be TTC soon, a potential daddy should avoid the area until more is known. The CDC recommends that a man who has traveled to a Zika area abstain from sex with a pregnant woman or use condoms for the duration of the pregnancy. https://www.cdc.gov/zika/hc-providers/qa-sexual-transmission.html

• Options
    maddaddam said:

Be wary of this advice. Though a woman can TTC a few weeks after leaving a Zika infected area because the virus would be out of her bloodstream by then, no one knows how long the virus lasts in semen. We do know it lives in semen longer than in blood and can be transmitted sexually. So while a potential mama can travel to a Zika area if she'll be TTC soon, a potential daddy should avoid the area until more is known. The CDC recommends that a man who has traveled to a Zika area abstain from sex with a pregnant woman or use condoms for the duration of the pregnancy. https://www.cdc.gov/zika/hc-providers/qa-sexual-transmission.html

Wow, I thought I was a hypochondriac. You've got me beat, dude. I mean that as a weird compliment. 

To be fair, the CDC's statement that Zika lasts a "significantly longer" time in semen than in blood is based on one case where Zika was in semen two weeks after transmission compared with the average one week span of time that it remains in human blood. And two cases where Zika *might* have been transmitted sexually. Both of those guys were exhibiting symptoms, too, so it's impossible to know whether men with Zika in their blood who aren't exhibiting symptoms have Zika present in their semen. I mean, it's two data points. Not a whole hell of a lot to go off of. 

I should clarify is that my assumption was that you aren't going on your trip and immediately going off of BC as soon as you get home, mostly because that's how our pre-TTC travel plans are scheduled. (Probably an unfair assumption, but still.)

If you want to go to South America you can always have your husband's semen tested when you're ready to TTC. Looks like the places to do it aren't super common, so I guess it depends on where you want to go and how much research it's worth to you. 

Or just ignore this whole mess and go to Amsterdam. :) Whatever. 
  • Options
    MollyandDMollyandD member
    edited February 2016
    I love cruises, because I can find an affordable option, and I don't have to worry about anything once I board the ship. Tickets for my excursions are delivered to my room, food is always available, the entertainment is included, and all I have to worry about is checking the clock now and then so I don't miss anything.

ETA: I guess the clock is my only worry, so I take back where I said I have nothing to worry about.