Babies: 3 - 6 Months

BF 4.5 month old is losing weight!

We just got back from her 4 month appointment, and found out that my daughter has lost 10 Oz in the past 2 months! She was 6 lbs 2 Oz at birth, 5lb 15oz at her lowest. For her 2 month check up, she was 10 lbs 6 Oz. I was so excited to see how much she weighed today, everyone swears she's so much bigger and heavier, but she weighed in at 9 lbs 12 Oz! I wanted to cry. She is tongue tied, and she's scheduled for a frenulectomy this Friday, and although we have to use the nipple shield most of the time, she has never had any issue with weight gain until now. She's even gotten better at latching on without it. I am so worried about this weight loss, so I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this??

Re: BF 4.5 month old is losing weight!

• We did - I'm not sure what it is in pounds but she was 6.26kg and a month later she was 6.20kg. The whole time she was happy enough, still sleeping the same (through the night) and had normal nappies etc. She was noticeably more difficult to feed though.

We just had to schedule another appt in two weeks time and she had started to gain again by then.

I put it down to either a growth spurt and my milk took too long to come through as I can tell I've got a lot more milk now or the fact that I annoyingly started my periods again and the Dr said that really decreases milk supply over that period.

I was devastated that she hadn't gained and tried to get her to have formula as I was so concerned but she wouldn't have it! I just nursed her as much as possible, took fenugreek, are oatmeal, did skin to skin and it all seemed to work out!

Stressful times though! Another thing I did was pump some milk just to see how much she was taking - just put my mind at ease.
  • What did the pedi say?
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes curious what your ped said. I would be pretty stressed out if my baby didn't gain weight over a two month period. Did baby gain length or head circumference?
  • The pediatrician didn't seem concerned at all, which I didn't like, so I took her to a new pediatrician. Turns out their scale was broken, because my princess is 12.5 lbs! I knew she was bigger!! >.<
  • My baby did the same he was 14lbs at 2 months 15.6 at 3 months and only 14.5 at 4 months. Dr. is keeping an eye on it, but unfortunately, he got RSV 2 weeks ago and that slowed down his intake again, so were still only at 14.5 and hes now over 5 months. Baby is happier than a pig in poop, so for not he's not too worried, but I'm freaking out! He's not yet doubled his birthweight and i'm losing sleep over this crap. Somebody make my baby eat!!!!!!!