February 2016 Moms
Options

Ouch!!!!

Hey guys, wondering if anyone has any ideas for relief or similar experience. I think I pulled or even tore a muscle in my abdomen and it is killing me for real. I've never felt pain this bad. I'm sure I will during labor, lol. I didn't even do anything weird to make it happen. It just started one day a week ago. I mean it could have been from a bowel movement, sorry TMI. I went to the doctor and she made sure baby was fine with an ultrasound and said it was probably just muscular and that I could take Tylenol. That doesn't do much. I know we all have pains, and I'm nothing special but I am just at my wits end here, I can't imagine lasting 4 more weeks with this pain. It helps when I don't move much. But bedrest is kind of out of the question. I don't get any paid maternity leave, plus I'd just hate to be immobile for four weeks And I still have so much baby prep to do. But if I can't figure something out, I think I will have to leave work early. It's been a week since it's started and it has not gotten any better. It's a stabbing pain in my upper left abdomen when I move or when I press on it, or when baby presses from the inside. No other symptoms. Any advice?? Or anyone just want to vent about there own stabbing pains?? I'm sure I'm not alone here!

Re: Ouch!!!!

• Options
    Maybe try using a heating pad, it helped with my severe back pain/strain during my first pregnancy.
  • Options
    I wouldn't use a heating pad on my bump the extra heat isnt good for baby. thats why pregnant women have to be careful about having fevers or too hot of baths.

If it is a muscular thing you could try epsom salt lotion. It works really well on pulled muscles. Or even a warm bath. Ive had some fairly painful round ligament pain and it helped me to prop my bump up from underneath while lying on my side.

Hope you feel better soon and find something that helps...That sounds like no fun at all... =\
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have something similar. Top of my abdomen, slightly to the left, just south of my bra line. It is a tearing/ burning sensation, especially when I bend down or try to sit up too quickly. Sometimes it is so painful that it's almost a shock to the system and for a moment it takes my breath away. My doctor told me it is an abdominal nerve that is being pressed due to the expansion of my abdomen and baby's movements. She said it is very common, and disappears pretty much immediately after baby is born. She suggested ice packs, but I haven't tried that. I've found that the best thing is to be mindful about my movements and position. Just finding out what it was and that it's not really anything causing permanent damage made me feel better and eased my anxiety. Sometimes the anxiety and worry that pain causes is worse than enduring the pain itself. Feel better and good luck! 
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback guys! My doctor said I can try heat as long as it's only in 15 min increments, so I don't overheat. I've tried it a bit and it feels nice while it's on. And interesting about the nerve! I've been assuming it is my muscle but that could be it instead...Very interesting, I'm gonna do some more research on that. Of course, I still can't do much about it but I'd like to know what it is. Or if it's muscle I will look into the epsom salt lotion too! Thanks again!!
  • Options
    Have you looked into a belly brace? It's supposed to help you carry the weight and might take some of the pressure off.  I hope you feel better soon!

• Options
    I actually tore a muscle during a bought with sinus infection and eat infections and too much coughing. One time a coughed it was like something popped. I was in excruciating pain!! Tylenol DOES help, you just need to stay ahead of the pain. You won't be over doing it with the direction dosage. They had put me on codeine bc my pain was SO bad. My dr recommended a brace. Which helped slightly. But not worth the $50. Rest and pain meds were the ONLY thing that helped.... Sorry to hear you are hurting :(
  • Options
    Tore a muscle between my ribs from coughing so much due to a cold. I ended up in the ER/L&D one night because of the pain, I couldn't breath or talk right! They ended up giving me muscle relaxers and a stronger Tylenol dose. It helped some but honestly it seems like it took forever for it to "get better" and I'm still dealing with it today. Rest, alternating ice and heat packs, and soaking in Epsom salt baths is what I did. My doctor also made me stop working due to the pain because it could get worse. Depending on how close you are to your due date and how physically demanding your job is, I'd consider taking off early to give your body time to heal before baby comes! I'm glad I did.
  • Options
    Ok great advice. I'm going to make sure I stay on top of the Tylenol. I'm terrible about keeping on schedule with that. And I'm buying a brace. It can't hurt and I will try anything. Plus it does kind of help when I hold my belly up so I can see that working a bit. And I might just bite the bullet and leave work a week earlier than planned... I hate to waste my time off before she's even here but I need to take care of myself.

Thanks for taking to the time to offer advice everyone!!
  • Options
    Did you crack a rib? Try icing it too if it is a pulled muscle.
    Sorry!!
    6 & 2 year old, 2 losses