February 2016 Moms
Options

Medicaid for newborn

I've literally been trying to get ahold of someone to answer these questions for the past 3 hours! I've been disconnected each time I call. I figured I might as well try and ask you ladies for advice. We just found out that we will be induced Monday night so I'm scrambling for answers. I currently have Medicaid for my pregnancy because my other insurance didn't cover it. What will I need to do in order to get our son covered and scheduled for his first peds appt? Will he automatically be covered or do I need to submit a application for him once he arrives. We didn't pick a peds doctor ahead of time because my ob suggested we wait to meet the one that will make rounds at the hospital. Also, I know Pregnancy Medicaid covers me for 60 days after giving birth, do I need to reapply for regular Medicaid coverage once the 60 days is up? Not looking for harsh answers just advice while I continue to try and call! :)

Re: Medicaid for newborn

• Options
    moomeemoomee member
    edited January 2016
    I'm on Medicaid and where I live (Florida), the baby is automatically enrolled in whatever plan you're enrolled in.

ETA: before birth, I should add.
    Mama Bear to Ollie, Leilah, and Lennon. Pregnant with Little Moo 2.0 (our rainbow baby). Due 02/14/2016.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    You typically have a certain number of days to simply call your insurance and enroll them.

Then once the baby is issued a social security number etc you probably just have to call And add them to it
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The baby *should* be automatically covered. Up to 5 years without you having to renew if I remember correctly.
    ""Infants born to pregnant women who are receiving Medicaid for the date of delivery are automatically eligible for Medicaid (known as "deemed newborns"). Medicaid eligibility continues until the child’s first birthday and citizenship documentation is not required.""
    Quoted from Medicaid website.
  • Options
    You will just need to call after your baby is here and let them know the name, date of birth, that you filed for the birth certificate and social. They will add baby. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
                    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm in Utah. Babs is automatically covered, but I did receive a letter of who to call with her information after she is born. She and I are covered at the hospital, and after I call to update the state she will get her own medical ID card. Fun note, the letter I got about this process also included a birth control information sheet. Way to be classy Utah
  • Options
    O! And yes you would need to reapply after the 60 days, but baby is covered for a year ( and after that you can reapply for continued coverage)
  • Options
    egraves4egraves4 member
    edited January 2016
    I would try and get an answer/a number you need to call. I have pregnancy Medicaid as well and they gave me a phone number that I've been instructed to call while I am still in the hospital to get her added to my plan. They also apparently have a ped that specifically sees only Medicaid patients at my hospital.

ETA I'm in Georgia, I know it's at least slightly different from state to state.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Surprise BFP! 06/08/15
    Nadine GraceMarie  02/10/16
    Diagnosed with placenta increta post delivery: emergency partial hysterectomy - cervix and ovaries still intact 
    Gestational surrogacy or adoption TBD

• Options
    It really depends on what state you are in. I know it sucks and is so frustrating being on hold and getting disconnected, but you just gotta keep trying because it's probably the only way you will get a direct answer to your specific case. I know here in Texas, you call 211 while in the hospital to report the baby's birth, and then the baby is automatically covered for a year. And you can reapply them for it about a month before the year is up. Mothers are covered for the two months following the month you delivered. And mothers can also reapply about 30 days before the two months is up.
    October 2017 May siggy challenge - Parenting fails

DS-02/25/16
    Pregnancy #2-Due 8/24/17 MMC-01/09/17
    DD-Due 10/24/17
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Your hospital will have a social worker/care manager that can help you out with this, too, if you don't get the answers you need by Monday.

Also, depending on your state, there's a good chance you may not qualify for Medicaid after the 60 days, so be prepared for that. In my state, children are covered, but adults are not unless they have a serious medical condition.

• Options
    VitaLuna said:

Your hospital will have a social worker/care manager that can help you out with this, too, if you don't get the answers you need by Monday.

Also, depending on your state, there's a good chance you may not qualify for Medicaid after the 60 days, so be prepared for that. In my state, children are covered, but adults are not unless they have a serious medical condition.

That's exactly what my situation is - I have other insurance but they are covering me during my pregnancy and will cover the baby after, but I will go back to my primary insurance afterward.

Surprise BFP! 06/08/15
    Nadine GraceMarie  02/10/16
    Diagnosed with placenta increta post delivery: emergency partial hysterectomy - cervix and ovaries still intact 
    Gestational surrogacy or adoption TBD

• Options
    I'm in Utah. Babs is automatically covered, but I did receive a letter of who to call with her information after she is born. She and I are covered at the hospital, and after I call to update the state she will get her own medical ID card. Fun note, the letter I got about this process also included a birth control information sheet. Way to be classy Utah
    I think it's great they do that!  No harm in birth control education.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @sheslikeasunburn The reason it bothers me is a whole Pandora's box of feelings about the states education and the state governments health programs. I definately live here for the landscape and not the politics.