April 2016 Moms
Options

GD Moms - Bedtime snack

Hi GD mom's: Please help!  My morning fasting levels have been running over 90 and the doctor has given me a few more days and will move me to insulin injections at night if it doesn't improve.  Does anyone have any snack ideas for before bed?  My other levels during the day are good (105 2 hrs after mealtimes).  The nutritionist had told me I could have a scoop of high fat ice cream before bed and I tried Hagan Dazz and my levels were okay, but then I switched to Brighams ice cream and they were high (92).  I tried a chz stick last night and they were the highest they had been at fasting (97).  I was hoping to have a couple of good days and would try the Hagan Dazz again.  Any ideas would be great! 

Re: GD Moms - Bedtime snack

• Options
    Um... I usually eat an avocado with salsa and feta or goat cheese on it for a midnight snack, if that interests you... Ice cream doesn't sound like a wise choice at all... I'm totally side eyeing your nutritionist for telling you to eat a scoop of ice cream daily.
  • Options

A small serving of ice cream sprinkled with almonds was a winner when I had GD the first time.  It's a decent combo of carbs/fat/protein.  The carbs keep your liver from dumping sugar into the bloodstream all night, and the fat/protein help to keep blood sugar levels steady for a longer period of time.  I found the lowest carb/serving ice cream I could stomach (happened to be Breyer's all natural strawberry) and went for it.

Other things you could try that have intermittently worked for me:

1 apple (sliced) with peanut butter

1 serving of berries (strawberries and blueberries are my fave) with a string cheese.  Add a dollop of whipped topping to the berries if you're feeling fancy ;)

The Skinny Cow chocolate truffle ice cream bars are pretty good, maybe pair with some string cheese or nuts

Love: 8.10.99
    Marriage: 12.18.04
    DD1: 5.19.10
    DD2: 4.11.12
    #3 EDD 4.23.16

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm not a GD mom, but my 2 year old has T1 diabetes, so I'm familiar with the nutrition of blood sugars. To keep her blood sugars stable overnight, we give her a snack that has high fat + protein. Usually a few spoonfuls of peanut butter and/or a small serving of milk does the trick, depending on what her level is at night.

The ice cream is actually a good choice because while you do get a spike of sugar, the fat causes it to be spread out over several hours. Fat + sugar takes a LONG time to get processed in the body. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Mine probably won't help cause they want me to get my fasting levels up (mine are between 60-70)
    I love popcorn and string cheese! Or a nut and dried fruit mix (unsweetened)... I usually sneak in a few Kirkland chocolate chips. But I'm thinking about adding something in the middle of the night... Especially if I start having ketones in the morning. None yet though!
  • Options
    Lurking from March. The only bedtime snack that seems to work with my GD is full fat vanilla ice cream with a scoop of peanut butter. Before I was having ice cream and peanut butter as my snack my fasting numbers were in the low 90s now they are in the upper 70s - low 80s.

I make sure to buy ice cream made with actual cream since it takes longer to breakdown. My go to brand is Clover but they are a local brand and I'm not sure if they distribute out of state.
  • Options
    Graham cracker with peanut butter