3rd Trimester
Options

What would you do?

So, i am having a c section that was planned for Feb 24. I should have been 39+3 at that point. I found out today there is some discrepancy with my DD, and doc suggested moving the section date until March 2. SHe believes i will be 39+3 at that date now. She gave me the option of keeping my original date and having my baby at 38+3 or to wait another week. Im torn. I had two other babies at 38 weeks exactly. One had jaundice ( i had a very rough pregnancy with her, had GD and was showing signs of pre eclampsia so i was induced) and the other i had a perfecltly normal,healthy pregnancy and when she was born at 38 weeks was in perfect shape. 
I dont feel like i would be taking a huge risk to have the baby at 38+3. I also know the longer they bake the better, but i then worry about going into labor on my own and it turning into an emergency section. There is also the fact that we had everything planned around the original date (DH taking time off, other kids' care etc). 
But then of course the baby's health trumps ALL Of that which is why im torn. Is there REALLY a big difference between 38+3-39+3? What would you do?
Thanks!

Re: What would you do?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yah I agree with @yogahh - also why'd the dd change so late? Is baby measuring way ahead? Or were you not sure when you had your last cycle?
    FWIW I had my dd (scheduled c) at 39.1 & she had no issues - had my son at 38 (pre-e) with no issues but if it's just a "whatever you want to do" I'd obviously wait.
  • Options
    I would wait! Also, why did they change your date this late?
  • Options
    i would wait the extra week. give baby more time to cook.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies. I had three early ultrasounds and two have me a DD of March 6 and one gave me a DD of March 1. I think the secretary made the mistake and went by my March 1 DD when she booked my csection. Not sure why my doc just caught it now.
    Also, she did my last c section at 38 weeks exactly (7 years ago) and said she is comfortable doing this one at the 38+3 I'd be at my original section date, but also said she could also book me for March 2, a week later. I'm torn because I obviously want my baby to be as healthy as possible and then of course I also want him asap :) if it were a matter of 37-38 weeks is definitely wait no question. My doctor said I could have a completely healthy baby at 36 weeks, or have one at 41 and there be lung issues so there is no way of telling. We are doing an ultrasound this monday coming up, although I'm not sure what for because she admitted that depending on baby's position they can be up to a pound off, and that we can't tell how well his lungs are developed. Sigh. She also mentioned she was comfy doing it at the earlier date because my last 38 weeker was perfectly healthy, but, my reservations with that are not only is every baby different, it's with a different person. Anyway, sorry to be so lengthy, just wanted to get all the facts out there.
  • Options
    @Haimad1325 your first u/s or dating u/s is your most accurate. Mine was at 12 weeks but anything below 12 weeks is considered to be most accurate. After that babies grow at different rates.

I'm surprised your OB didn't mention this.

Good luck!
  • Options
    I would wait. One week of waiting won't make a huge difference to you in the grand scheme. Generally you would know if you were starting labor and could go in and have a c-section with more than enough time for it not to be an emergency. If you lose your plug and start having timeable contractions then I would head in and have the csection. Plenty of people have csections scheduled for 39-40 weeks and start labor before then. Did you Doc think that was a big deal for you for some specific reason? Of course they prefer you not be in full on crazy labor, but even then surgeons are usually very experienced at performing a c-section during labor. I've heard that more and more people asking doctors if they can wait until signs of labor start on purpose so that they know that their baby is ready. I have my c-section scheduled at 39+4 and I think my due date is actually off by a couple of days because I was tracking ovulation so I think I will be more like 39+6. I wanted my csection as close as possible to my full term due date. It was very tempting to go earlier because they had one date open at exactly 39 weeks, but I just feel like its worth it to wait. Also, if your child does have any issues, even if they were completely unrelated to the earlier date, I think you would always wonder and possibly blame yourself for that. If you are questioning it, maybe it makes sense just to wait since your doc is perfectly comfortable with it. 
  • Options

I would wait. Heck, I'd ask my doctor to wait until 40 weeks....

Agree. I would ask to go to 40 weeks.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Im not comfortable with that. I live 40 mins from the hospital and I don't want to risk going into labor on my own. . I appreciate you reply, tho :) I think I'll go with the later section date of March 2 to err on the side of caution. I really appreciate everyone's input. Thanks again!
  • Options
    I would go with whichever date the first u/s was, which I'm guess is the 6th so go with March 2nd.

• Options
    That's the fun part, just to make it more confusing! The first was March 1, at 8 weeks. The next two were March 6, and 10 and 11 weeks. Sigh!
  • Options
    The first is always the most accurate, so March 1 it is ;)
    I'm surprised the OB didn't tell you that. My OB and radiologist both explained how dating works (OB last pregnancy, radiologist this time). I remember one of them saying 5-8 weeks is the most accurate measurement.
  • Options
    If it's not dangerous to let you go into labor, I would err on the later side to ensure baby gets as much time as possible to grow.  Even if you go into labor, your CS won't really be an emergency.  I would consider an emergency to be done when there is fetal or maternal distress.  Yours would just be a planned CS that happens while you are in labor.
  • Options
    My OB wanted to schedule my RCS right at 38wks and I flat out refused. The practice does not like going to the EDD for a RCS so I compromised and scheduled it for 39+ 3. I do think every single day counts, the closer to 40wks the better. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'd wait. 
  • Options
    Unless I read this wrong, the dating u/s gave you the sooner EDD. The ones after that gave you a date of +5 days, which normally they wouldn't change your due date unless its +/- a week or more. Sometimes not even then. So if that was your original EDD and they scheduled the c section based on that way, you really are that far along? Correct? I'd talk to the dr about the discrepancy in due dates. 
  • Options
    It was three early ultrasounds. Two because of a Subchorionic bleed and one for dating. It's so co fusing! I'll def be talking to her again this Monday and my appt.