1st Trimester

Baby's heartbeat

Hi everyone.

I'm 6 weeks pregnant today, I've only just come out of hospital after having a scare of miscarriage.
However, the nurses have said that they cannot find a heartbeat but the pregnancy is where it should be..
I'm going back.next Thursday for another scan to find the baby's heartbeat.
I cannot help but feel scared and emotional as I don't know what's going on, next Thursday feels like a lifetime away.

Is this normal for the baby's heartbeat not to be showing yet?

Many thanks in advance X

Re: Baby's heartbeat

• from what I've read on here, 5-6 weeks is still pretty early & not everyone found the heartbeat at this point. were they looking via doppler or US?
  • My understanding is that a scan that early (even a transvaginal US) is really only going to tell you if it's in the right spot.  I had a scan at 5w6d and there was no heartbeat and no fetal pole.  The RE that did the scan (not my usual doc) really freaked me out, ended up running my numbers and situation by a few other doctors who said not to worry, and we had an appt with our usual RE and saw the heartbeat at 7w5d.  I was really angry at the doctor who made us worry; even if something was wrong, there would have been nothing to do and nothing to diagnose at that point.  And a few days makes a big difference in terms of what you can see at that point.  

My fingers are crossed for you.  Be extra kind to yourself.  
    About me:
    /loss mentioned/
    TTC#1 July 2014
    dx: MFI (morphology)
    IUI #1 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Sept. 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #2 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Halloween 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #3 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Thanksgiving 2015 ~ BFP!!
    hb 146 bpm at 7w5d
    1/28/16 ~ began to say goodbye to our beautiful baby at 11w 
    d&c, followed by cytotec
    TTCAL April 2016
    IUI #4 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Apr. 2016 ~ BFN
    IUI #5 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ CP
    IUI#6 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ BFN
  • Loading the player...
  • 6 weeks may still be a little early to find a heartbeat. We didn't get mine until 8.5
  • I had an early scan when I believed I was 6 weeks - the fetal pole was measuring between 5-6 weeks, no heartbeat was present however everything was where it should be.

I went back for another scan today - fetal pole was 4mm which would make me 6-7 weeks, heartbeat was flickering away!

Try not to stress yourself out what will be will be