January 2016 Moms

Post partum meds question

People -read my mother and her friends- are concerned that I am nursing while taking pain meds for recovery from my c-section. While in the hospital (which was very pro-breastfeeding) I was given pain meds including Hydrocodone. All of my nurses and doctors were aware that I was breastfeeding my son. When the OB on call came to discharge me she brought my prescriptions: Hydrocodone and Motrin. She verified that they were safe for baby (although at the time I didn't know what "norco" or Hydrocodone was). The pharmacist also agreed that there was no known transfer and it was prescribed to nursing moms all the time.
I'm talking to my OB about it tomorrow, but until then... I'm looking to you all for your experience. I had Percocet with dd, but I'm not familiar with this stuff. What kind of pain meds did you use if you were breastfeeding?

Re: Post partum meds question

• Don't listen to them, you're fine. I'm taking Vicodin for cramping (so much worse with the second kid!) and a horrendous sore throat.
  • I am sure whatever they prescribed you is fine or they wouldn't have done it. I also had a c-section and they had me on hydromorphone,Tylenol and ibuprofen. Once home I weaned myself down to just Tylenol as needed and now I don't take anything after 3 weeks.
  • Loading the player...
  • You're fine. I have exactly the same prescriptions as you (and did last time, too)

SPNG Tags Sam  Dean  Cas  Photoshop  WTF  Dancing  Funny  or disturbingLooking for a particular Supernatural reaction gif This blog organizes them so you dont have to spend hours hunting them down

DS1 01/08/03 DD1 08/11/04 DD2 10/06/08 DS2 09/30/14

SURPRISE!  Hannah May born 01/22/16

AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers

• It's fine. I took Percocet myself after delivery.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • They gave me Motrin and the option of Tylenol 3 with Codeine or Hydrocodone. I took the Tylenol, but all are safe while breastfeeding. I'm two weeks pp today and I'm now off of both.
  • They prescribed me both Motrin and norco for pain control for the tears I got during delivery. They are fine to take :)
  • Thanks ladies! I've already noticed I need the norco less often too so that's a good thing. I wish I'd had this for the first time around the Percocet they gave me sucked.