February 2016 Moms
Options

Inducing labor , balloon catheter. ..

Hey ladies! Ftm here! I'm getting induced starting the 17th or 18th at 39 weeks. I'm getting induced due to a PE. They have me come in to get a balloon catheter put in,then I go home and come in the next day to labor and delivery to get petocin. So question is... what is your experience with the catheter? Does it hurt getting put in? And does anything hang out of you? I'm a bit nervous!! Thanks!!

Mommy to my Angel baby Domenico Anjelo M/C 11 weeks 12/20/2014
C/P 4/15/2015 5 weeks
BFP 6/15 /15 Due: 2/25/16

Re: Inducing labor , balloon catheter. ..

• Options
    I had one, I don't remember it being painful or anything, maybe just a little weird. But I was in the hospital the whole time, they put it in right before we went to sleep so I didn't have to walk around with it.
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • Options
    Lucky... they are sending me home with it in. It sounds like it's going to hurt! More nervous with that than labor!

Mommy to my Angel baby Domenico Anjelo M/C 11 weeks 12/20/2014
    C/P 4/15/2015 5 weeks
    BFP 6/15 /15 Due: 2/25/16

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just had one for twelve hours. I'm not going to lie it hurt but I had just given birth so I could have just been extra sensitive. It didn't hurt at all coming out. I had a tube taped to my leg that attached to a bag on the side of my bed
  • Options
    I had absolutely no pain when they induced me with the balloon catheter. They kept me overnight in the hospital and gave me an ambien so I could sleep and be ready for labor in the morning. I recommend it :)
  • Options
    baya5 said:

I just had one for twelve hours. I'm not going to lie it hurt but I had just given birth so I could have just been extra sensitive. It didn't hurt at all coming out. I had a tube taped to my leg that attached to a bag on the side of my bed

You're thinking of a Foley catheter.. That goes in your urethra to drain urine. This one goes in your vagina to help dilate your cervix ;) Same concept (and sometimes the same catheter), different place.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    My doctor mentioned this foley bulb to me when she was discussing induction due to high BP. She said it was like a balloon and the nurse would tug on it until it fell out, which meant I was dilated to 3cm, then they would start pitocin. I don't have any friends that have had one, so I was curious too about what they felt like! I have a follow up appt. tomorrow and she will decide if induction is tomorrow or Sunday, so perhaps I will be able to let you know before you get induced.
  • Options
    I had one of these during my induction with DS1. It felt odd being put in, but once it was in, I don't remember noticing it at all. The pitocin I remember so much more for the strong contractions that it gave me. 
    BabyFruit Ticker image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had one while in labor with our first. I thought it was quite painful going in. I actually kicked my midwife as she was putting it in! after it was in I did not feel it, and it didn't hurt coming out either. I apologized profusely for kicking my MW after I delivered :)