January 2016 Moms
Options

Baths?

How often do you bathe your baby? Do you use soap every time?

Im trying to figure out what is best for my little one! I'm not sure if I need to be giving her more baths than I already am.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Baths?

• Options
    Once a week! Use just a water wash cloth on his face as needed since he gets that dirty a lot with breast feeding.
  • Options
    teachmegs817teachmegs817 member
    edited January 2016
    LO will be 6w this Wednesday and we give him a bath every 3 days. He HATES baths, so part of the reason why we do it every 3, is so he can hopefully get acclimated to the water and being in the tub. They last for maybe a whole 5-7 minutes as he is usually so squirmy and vocal about his dislike for the water. I use the J&J nighttime soap.  We give him his baths before his last nightly feeding before we head to bed ourselves. I also use a small pea size dollop of the J&J baby lotion and before he gets completely dry, I rub that on his arms/legs/belly. His skin can get dry and a little flakey on those in between days before the next bath. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    How often do you bathe your baby? Do you use soap every time? Im trying to figure out what is best for my little one! I'm not sure if I need to be giving her more baths than I already am.
    We only wiped LO down with a wash cloth for the first month or so (it took awhile for her cord to fall off) and then it was maybe once or twice a week we'd do a bath. She enjoyed bath time but I just figured it would dry out her skin too much. We had soap but we probably rarely used that too, I had a bottle of California Baby that lasted me over a year!
  • Options
    My LO loves bath time. I asked his Ped about it and she said once a week is really all that is needed. Since he really likes it and we are trying to establish a nighttime routine (because he still has his night and day mixed up) that we could do one every night with just water or a mild soap. We are choosing to do about every other to every third night. I am not a fan of J&J to begin with and our Ped suggested we not use it as it's got some pretty harsh ingredients. We are using the Aveeno baby wash for sensitive skin along with the Aveeno baby lotion.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • Options
    About two times a week until they're older. I still only do everyother day with my boys, unless they get dirty. The doctor said it isn't good and will dry out their skin to do it too much. When they are newborns I use a washcloth every day in their creases and lotion them before bed. 
    Married 2006
    DS1 2010
    DS2 2013
    DD1 2016
  • Options
    For those that have babies that hate bath time, try a swaddle bath! We learned how to do it in the NICU for our little one and he went from hating bathtime to LOVING it. You do a super loose swaddle and stick them in the water you unfold one corner at a time and clean that side of the body and then cover them back up with the warm wet blanket. It takes 2 people to do it but it totally relaxes our LO and we were able to eventually transition him to a regular bath without the swaddle and he loves it now.

We bathe LO every Monday and Thursday. That's what the hospital did while he stayed there so we just stayed with the same schedule.
  • Options
    We waited a full 24 hours before first bath in hospital. We've been home for a week now, and we've only bathed her once since then. We got lucky that her cord fell off as I was undressing her for her bath. I seriously had a tiny amount of soap in the water, and just sort of squeezed water from the washcloth onto her. I've used a cloth on her hair a few times, but otherwise, we're sticking to once a week until it gets warmer, and she is a little less dry-skinned. (We also had some feeding issues early, and I didn't have the heart to distress her.)
  • Options
    Monilee1017Monilee1017 member
    edited January 2016
    @Jbro88 this is kind of like what I do. I take a warm adult washcloth and place it on LOs stomach then wash LO with a different washcloth. My LOs really like this and I can do it alone.
    Married 2006
    DS1 2010
    DS2 2013
    DD1 2016
  • Options
    Wow- I'm the odd one out! I do it every 2 days and use a mild natural organic soap in the water...
  • Options
    My toddler STILL only gets baths twice per week. Since it's too cold to go outside, he really doesn't get dirty. New baby will be the same after the stump falls off.

SPNG Tags Sam  Dean  Cas  Photoshop  WTF  Dancing  Funny  or disturbingLooking for a particular Supernatural reaction gif This blog organizes them so you dont have to spend hours hunting them down

DS1 01/08/03 DD1 08/11/04 DD2 10/06/08 DS2 09/30/14

SURPRISE!  Hannah May born 01/22/16

AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers

• Options
    Since we brought him home it's been every 2-3 days.
    When his stump was on sponge down
    Now it's a full bath.
    He doesn't mind until bath time is over and he gets cold.
    I use the purple nighttime J&J then the purple baby aveeno calming lotion
    HE gets his baths at night time and I try to knock him out with all sorts of nighttime bath stuff lol
  • Options
    Every 2-3 days and we just sponge bathe him until the cord falls off (although with our first we sponge bathed him for months). We use a tiny bit of mild soap like JJ no more tears in a cup of warm water and just wipe him down with a waahcloth. Make sure you get in all the folds and under the chin. Hair probably doesn't need to be washed more than once a week unless there is something in it.
  • Options
    ondabiancaondabianca member
    edited January 2016
    Every 3 days and I'm extremely quick because Michael hates baths!

Yes I use soap each time (Johnson and Johnson head to toe)
  • Options
    Every 2 or 3 days. Luke warm water and johnson and Johnson. Violet loves it. Especially when you wash her hair. I love getting my hair washed too. Shes the sweeetest thing ever
  • Options
    We bathed my son every day when he was an infant but he had a terrible spit up problem (ended up being pyloric stenosis- needed surgery) now he gets a bath every other day, and so will the wee one once her cord falls off.
  • Options
    kmo8986 said:

We bathed my son every day when he was an infant but he had a terrible spit up problem (ended up being pyloric stenosis- needed surgery) now he gets a bath every other day, and so will the wee one once her cord falls off.

My 16 month old had pyloric stenosis and had surgery at exactly one month old. It was scary.

SPNG Tags Sam  Dean  Cas  Photoshop  WTF  Dancing  Funny  or disturbingLooking for a particular Supernatural reaction gif This blog organizes them so you dont have to spend hours hunting them down

DS1 01/08/03 DD1 08/11/04 DD2 10/06/08 DS2 09/30/14

SURPRISE!  Hannah May born 01/22/16

AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers

• Options
    Olive loves the bath, so we made it apart of her nightly routine. We use mostly just water, but I do wash her long hair with a natural, organic soap free baby wash. I rub her down with the same brand's baby oil after each bath while she's nursing. (Earth Mom Angel Baby). 
  • Options

kmo8986 said:

My 16 month old had pyloric stenosis and had surgery at exactly one month old. It was scary.
    My son was 6 weeks, we spent Mother's Day (my first) at urgent care, and then when they sent us home we packed a bag and went to the children's hospital and were admitted.
  • Options
    With my son, I did about once a week after his cord fell off. My MIL introduced me to using these bath sponges:
    https://m.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12293405&camp=PLAPPCG-_-PID11616636:BRUS&cagpspn=plab_11616636&eESource=CAPLA_DF:12293405:TRUS

And I have to say that I LOVE them! Basically they just lay flat in the tub, you put in a few inches of water and the sponge soaks it up and the water just barely covers your baby all the way around. It makes it easier with baby flat on their back, not sliding down, and they stay more submerged in the water, like the hammocks, nice and warm. They are my favorite and I always give them to my new mom friends at showers.

• Options
    I used Olay Quench body wash on me and DD1. I'm allergic to many soaps and it's the only one that has never caused a skin issue. DD1 has had issues with other soaps so we both just use the Olay Quench and so will DD2. It has adequate moisture to help their skin stay moisturized. If I want to moisturize their skin in between baths, then I would use coconut oil since it's antifungal and antibacterial so I can use it on me for my skin being severely dry from me being a type 1 diabetic. I am all about baths every 3 to 4 days unless there is a blow out. Mainly just sponge baths for baby anyways. We bought extra wash clothes and towels for if we need them, but I didn't buy a bath tub or anything special for baby since I have bathed plenty of infants in just a sink.
  • Options

Once a week for newborns, especially since we live in New England and the winters can be very drying on the skin.  I use Burts Bees Baby wash because I find it to be pretty moisturizing.  Then I use baby lotion after the bath. 

We used a baby bath with DS, but found that we really didn't need it.  Most of the time, we showered with him or gave him a sponge bath.  If I wanted to wash him in the sink, I could have laid down a towel in the bottom of the sink and laid him on top of it.  That's what I'll do with the new baby since I got rid of the baby bath.

My toddler gets a bath or shower with daddy 2-3 times a week or whenever he smells bad (some of those toddler poops are so horrific that even wiping him till he's clean doesn't seem to get the smell out of his skin).  I put baby lotion on him most nights before bed and run a humidifier in his room at night.