January 2016 Moms

Extremely low milk supply

shrsrishrsri member
edited January 2016 in January 2016 Moms
hi. My daughter is now 4 weeks old and Iv been supplementing since day 5 due to low milk supply. Iv tried everything - Brewers yeast, nursing vacation, oatmeal, metaclopromide, fluids. Nothing seems to work and I have never pumped more than a few drops. The baby still likes to be on the breast and I'm nursing her for long hours but have to supplement her 6 times a day.
Has anyone gone through this. Can u tell me if its worth still BFing her the few drops or should I just switch to formula entirely. Thanks for any help !!

Re: Extremely low milk supply

• Did you talk to a lactation consultant or your pedetrician about whether it is worth it? Do you happen to have thyroid issues or PCOS? I thought the MilkMakers lactation cookies were good.
  • Loading the player...
  • @ChrissyD1203 I do not have PCOS or thyroid. My lactation consultant is extremely positive and is encouraging me to not give up. But the effort is completely wearing me down and gotten me depressed. I'm just unable to enjoy my baby because of this running through my head the whole day :(@kmo8986
    I just feel like if it eventually increase it may be worth it.
  • Have you tried cluster pumping?  10 minutes on, 10 minutes off for a total of 1 hour? My LC swore that would tell my body to jumpstart production.  I never had to do it, but have heard a lot of other ladies have success with it. 

I've also had friends in your situation, that no matter what they tried, their supply never came in like they had hoped.  From what they've said, as much as they didn't want to give in, the anxiety/stress/frustration it caused them, the baby, and sometimes SO, they stopped and started formula.  Once they did, they realized they should have done it sooner, but were happy to know they didn't just throw in the towel on a quick whim.  They did what they could, and there was no sense in beating themselves up about it anymore.  The number one thing was that their baby was healthy, gaining weight, and satisfied from whatever source of food they were getting. =) Good luck!!
  • shrsri said:
    hi. My daughter is now 4 weeks old and Iv been supplementing since day 5 due to low milk supply. Iv tried everything - Brewers yeast, nursing vacation, oatmeal, metaclopromide, fluids. Nothing seems to work and I have never pumped more than a few drops. The baby still likes to be on the breast and I'm nursing her for long hours but have to supplement her 6 times a day. Has anyone gone through this. Can u tell me if its worth still BFing her the few drops or should I just switch to formula entirely. Thanks for any help !!
    Can you still put baby to the breast but stop pumping? If I wasn't pumping a lot I'd personally give up but since you say baby still likes to nurse from you why deny her? Even if its just comfort suckling and doesn't produce much you both still get benefits :) You'd still have to make bottles and give formula but IMO pumping is the worst!
  • @SummerOH - amen. Thank you for that!

@kmo8986 - your situation sounds almost the same as mine. I tried everything with my son. He had such a lazy latch (plus, he wanted instant gratification) that it really didn't help me body get the hint. I had no choice but to supplement. I tried pumping, but responded poorly, like OP I only got drops. I continued to try by putting him to breast for 10 weeks. Once I made the decision to stop, I never even went through a "drying up" phase. Made me feel beret to know that there really wasn't anything there! Now my son is 13 months old, incredibly smart, handsome, healthy, and huge! At his one year check up, he had gained exactly 20 lbs since birth, and grown 10 inches in height! Breastfeeding is going a little better with DD, but this time, I refuse to beat myself up if it doesn't work out!
  • @SummerOH - thank you for that. Hearing that makes me feel loads better.
  • I didn't read all the other replies but wanted to say that how much you can pump is not a good indicator of supply. I am on my third breast fed baby, have never had supply issues, but can't pump to save my life. I'm not totally sure if that's all you were going off of but just because you are pumping "drops" doesn't mean your baby isn't getting ounces.
  • I hope my response isn't taken the wrong way after writing it I realized it could be read differently than I meant it. Anyways, I know some women definitely do have low milk supply and if that is you then by all means do what you need to do and don't feel an ounce of guilt, but baby wanting to constantly nurse and not responding to a pump are not indicators of low supply, the only way you can really tell is weight gain and diaper output. And even a very full baby may drink a bottle if offered because it's reflexive to suck and swallow. Anyways I just want you to make sure you actually do have low milk supply and aren't worrying over very common misconceptions about milk supply, that cause many women to assume their supply is low when it is actually fine.
  • Trust your gut, Mama! You are doing such a good job. Sounds like you're doing so much to take care of that little life. Trust your instincts, and if it's time to stop, that's a-ok. :)
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @scornwell717 thabks so much for saying that. Reading these replies make me feel much better. 
    I am now BFing with what little I have and Giving a full dose of formula after. Feeling much better after Iv given up on  thoughts of EBF. She is gaining weight well and that's all I care for now !!
  • I hope my response isn't taken the wrong way after writing it I realized it could be read differently than I meant it. Anyways, I know some women definitely do have low milk supply and if that is you then by all means do what you need to do and don't feel an ounce of guilt, but baby wanting to constantly nurse and not responding to a pump are not indicators of low supply, the only way you can really tell is weight gain and diaper output. And even a very full baby may drink a bottle if offered because it's reflexive to suck and swallow. Anyways I just want you to make sure you actually do have low milk supply and aren't worrying over very common misconceptions about milk supply, that cause many women to assume their supply is low when it is actually fine.
    I wanted to so badly believe that I didn't have a supply but my daughter went a day without peeing and lost 11% of birth weight. My hospital never even bothered to tell me that I have to see atleast 4 wet nappies a day. It's only very late I realized that I was starving her :(