July 2016 Moms
Options

Listeria - Dole brand - Prepackaged Salad

We are big fans of the prepackaged salads in our house (luckily they aren't Dole brand), so I wanted to give the heads up to you ladies if you haven't heard of this yet!: https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/dole-salad-recalled-after-listeria-kills-1-sickens-12-n502311

Re: Listeria - Dole brand - Prepackaged Salad

• Options
    I was just reading about an outbreak that they are thinking is linked to prepackaged salads in Canada as well (mostly Ontario so far but some other provinces as well)
  • Options
    PugsandKissesPugsandKisses member
    edited January 2016
    I will stick to my turkey sandwiches then.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing! Good thing my bag salad is not from Dole. 
    Married: August 2012
    TTC #1: July 2015
    BFP 1: October 30, 2015; EDD: July 6, 2016- Team Pink
    TTC #2: September 2019

• Options
    I just saw this on this on the news and went to see what I have in the fridge - luckily not Dole. This shit is scary.
    July '16 May Siggy Challenge 

BabyFetus Ticker
    Me: 29
    DH: 32
    Married: June 2011
    DD #1: December 2013
    DD #2: EDD July 2016
  • Options
    Yup, this is why I don't fret about eating sushi. Ice cream, salads, and melons have been in the top ten causes for listeria in the past few years. None of which are on the avoid list.
    imageimage

image"AlternaTickers">image
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Death to salads!!
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Options
    Pizza for dinner it is.
  • Options
    Salads are practically the only thing I can eat. Meat makes me feel sick :(
  • Options
    @PhoebeJune1984 they are so easy it makes lunch or dinner incredibly simple when I'm not feeling up to making anything. I've been addicted to Dole's Garlic Caesar lately and was so excited to get a fresh bag this morning. I think I'm just going to be making my own salads for a while.
  • Options
    Well...I ate several of these over the last 6 months, the last one being right before Christmas. I live in NYC, where there have been 4 confirmed cases. I haven't felt any symptoms of listeria but I understand that they can manifest differently in different people.

I just came from the urgent care place as my OB was obviously not an option at 9pm on a Friday. They took a blood sample and are testing it for listeria, in case the one I ate in late December was infected.

I am so, so glad you posted this. I would have never known otherwise.
  • Options
    @am0987 praying you're completely fine!
    Thanks @PhoebeJune1984 for the heads up!
  • Options
    @am0987 Thoughts and prayers with you for good results!

I agree @BostonBaby1 good to be aware
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Options
    They are not just sold under the Dole brand. I recommend that everybody check the links before eating any prepackaged salad. I was just coming here to post about it.
    Yep. There are several other brands as well. The ones we get are part of it (Fresh Selects), but our manufacturing letters are "B" and "T", not "A"....so we are in the clear (unless they later come out with other manufacturing letters that you need to toss).....

@benten24 caesar dressing has raw egg in it. So even if your salads aren't part of the recall, I think that I would still hold up on consuming salads with caesar dressing....

I might be wrong, but I think most packaged dressing is good. I think if you get Caesar salad from a restaurant that makes their own dressing it has raw egg.
  • Options
    If u read most of the packaged dressing ingredients in Caesar salads it says eggs and anchovies .... I think they are a no no? I've held off eating these just in case, even though I would love a massive Caesar salad with all the croutons lol
  • Options
    Most Caesar salad dressing's in stores are definitely safe to eat. I agree that it's in a restaurant or at somebody's home that you need to be careful for the raw eggs. You can always ask at the supermarket. Or Google it.
  • Options
    Wow, we usually get the prepackaged salads, but recently just started buying romaine hearts to chip ourselves to try and save a little money on our grocery bill (among lots of other cut backs). So glad you posted this, we do usually buy Dole!
  • Options
    @PhoebeJune1984 when I first started buying them I made sure to look at the ingredients, no eggs so that's why I've been eating them like crazy. That dressing is the closest I could get to my homemade stiff with the raw egg, so I'm super bummed about this stupid listeria.
  • Options
    Agreed, usually supermarket dressings, even if made with egg would be pasteurized egg, they wouldn't be shelf-stable otherwise. It helps if the label says it, of course... Just like how most of the soft cheese sold in grocery (feta, goat etc) are pasteurized too, just read the label and you're good.
  • Options
    Looks like I'll be calling the OB in the morning. We just had one of the brand's last week. Not sure What manufacturing letter since we already ate it. Thanks for posting.
  • Options
    Looks like I'll be calling the OB in the morning. We just had one of the brand's last week. Not sure What manufacturing letter since we already ate it. Thanks for posting.
  • Options
    It's not just Dole, also Kroger organic brand. I ate kale from that facility 3x last week. :/
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Just wanted to update that I'm still waiting on my results. Longest wait ever. However, I think catching it early on in the 2nd tri means a better chance of effectively treating it, if I'm not mistaken.
  • Options
    Not sure if people are still concerned with this or not, but in case there are any lurkers out there who are secretly freaking out like I was...

My blood came back negative for listeria, and they said the type of test they ran shows that 1) I do not have listeria now, and 2) I did not have it in the past (something about antibodies...?)

I beleived I was symptomatic in early January with a couple days of Diharrea, lower back pain, and a non-stop headache. That's why I was tested.

I 100% consumed 2 bags of Dole packaged salad in November and December, and did NOT contract listeria from it. So, it IS possible to be ok even if you ate the recalled product.

Whew!
  • Options
    Great news!!!
  • Options
    Good to hear. I called just to let them know and I had no symptoms so no treatment. Just FYI.