November 2015 Moms

Deep freezer for breastmilk

So I am tired of cramming milk into our kitchen freezer. I am looking into a small deep freezer just for milk primarily for space saving but also because deep freezing extends the amount of time the milk is good for.

My questions are for ladies out there w deep freezers. What size freezer worked for you and what model did you go for? I know all chest freezers arent deep freezers. What temp do you store your milk at long term?

Re: Deep freezer for breastmilk

• I have a 6.5 cu ft upright freezer. It has 5 shelves and each holds about 200 oz of milk (it would probably hold more but I have a bulky box I store the milk in.) It does not say it is a deep freeze, but I have it on the coldest setting. I prefer the upright freezer so I could find other items in the freezer easier and use it for things other that BM.
    I just got the freezer and have been meaning to get a freezer thermometer to see how cold it actually is.

This is the one I have https://m.homedepot.com/p/IGLOO-6-5-cu-ft-Upright-Freezer-in-White-FRF690/204342554
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • smnewbysmnewby member
    edited January 2016
    Thank you. I was wondering how much milk could fit in different sized freezers.

I would be curious to see how low the temperature goes. Its silly to me that that information isnt published on the product information page.
  • Loading the player...
  • We have a small square chest freezer. I'm not even sure the size, we had it beforehand.
    I have 4 plastic baskets that I put the milk in to keep it organized. I think at most I had about a thousand ounces in there.
  • smnewby said:

Thank you. I was wondering how much milk could fit in different sized freezers.

I would be curious to see how low the temperature goes. Its silly to me that that information isnt published on the product information page.

After typing my first reply, I ordered a freezer thermometer from amazon. If you would like to know I can tell you how cold it is on Monday.
  • @MargaretC5 thanks I would love to know. I have found two that qualify as deep freezers (one goes down to -10 and the other -18). They are the right size but a chest and not a front opening one like the one you linked. I think that a upright model would definitely get more use after its served its initial purpose!
  • smnewby said:

@MargaretC5 thanks I would love to know. I have found two that qualify as deep freezers (one goes down to -10 and the other -18). They are the right size but a chest and not a front opening one like the one you linked. I think that a upright model would definitely get more use after its served its initial purpose!

The thermometer I got only goes down to -20 and it was below that setting, so it was colder than -20. I had it on the coldest setting and scaled it back a bit since I don't think it needs to be that cold.
    I doubled checked the freezer in my fridge also because I was surprised it was so cold and that one was right at 0, right where I had it set so the thermometer works.
  • smnewbysmnewby member
    edited January 2016
    I had read milk lasts up to a year in a deep freezer which is something like 0 degrees and below compared to 6month ideal freezing time for a regular freezer.
    Thank you for the follow up post! Appreciate it.