3rd Trimester

Induction is scheduled - and now I'm scared

This is a vent. So I apologize for the ranting-ness about it.
FTM here. Had my 40 week appointment today (40+3) and I'm still not progressing naturally. We scheduled my induction for this Saturday, and now I'm freaking out. This whole pregnancy I haven't thought much about birthing a child. I mean it's inevitable, so why stress about it, right? Well now that there's this date on it, I'm panicking. I'm scared I won't be able to handle the pain without pain management drugs/ an epidural. I'm scared he's going to have complications. I'm scared there's a chance of cesarian. Scared of him coming out not breathing. What if I hemorrhage. All of these worst case scenarios are filling my brain. I'm sure it's normal to freak out, especially with your first child, but I've seriously made myself sick all flippen day about this.

Ugh. Why can't I snap my fingers and just have him here. :persevere:

Re: Induction is scheduled - and now I'm scared

• i dont have any advice i guess, but just wanted to say that you certainly arent alone on this! I'm only at 32 weeks & still have a ways to go before labour, but I'm scared shitless already! the birth class I'm taking is making me feel a little better, but still.. it's scary stuff!

we can do this though, & it'll be 100% worth it! stay strong.
  • I was induced at 38 weeks and my labor was a breeze, I loved it. I will say pitocincontractiins suck, much more intense then natural contractions. I would not rule out pain relief or an epic.I didn't want an epi, but I want progressing sing very quickly the first 4 hours. For hours in I had dilated maybe 2 cm. I got the epidural and I was able to nap, woke up a few hers later ready to push. I was labor 9hrs includings1hr of pushing. My baby was born super alert and BFon his own 45 min after birth. Don't stress, it is totally manageable.
  • Loading the player...
  • @kyraaD yes!! I keep telling myself our bodies are literally made for this! Good luck to you, mama :blush:
  • Hugs hon.  You will get through this.  You will have one amazing little baby to snuggle on the other side.  That is the important thing.  Doesn't matter how he gets here, he will get here.  And everything will just be ok.  It's weird how that happens.  And you'll forget all about freaking out about the stuff you didn't know about - induction, pain, labor, delivery.  It all just fades away.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• I had scheduled my induction for my second, and he came two days later. I wasn't dilated at my 40 week appointment or anything. Things can change so quickly. @PugsandKisses gave fantastic advice so I'll echo what she said too.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Once LO is here those fears will change to all kinds of scenarios that could go wrong with having a newborn, then a toddler, etc. This is all part of it. It's understandable you're scared. I don't know if visualizing and knowing women do this all the time and your doctor has done all this before with (I'm sure) unexpected surprises that he/she handled as they happened. Deep breaths. :)
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• Once LO is here those fears will change to all kinds of scenarios that could go wrong with having a newborn, then a toddler, etc. This is all part of it. It's understandable you're scared. I don't know if visualizing and knowing women do this all the time and your doctor has done all this before with (I'm sure) unexpected surprises that he/she handled as they happened. Deep breaths. :)

SOOO true!
  • I guess I should've added that I planned on having a med free birth. I don't think there's anything wrong with getting pain meds/ blockers. I just don't want to be immobile. The thought of being basically paralyzed is a huge phobia of mine.

But thank you all. I know it'll work out and be okay in the end!!
  • Trust @PugsandKisses . Pugs is good. Pugs is wise! ❤️

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• kqualls5 said:

I guess I should've added that I planned on having a med free birth. I don't think there's anything wrong with getting pain meds/ blockers. I just don't want to be immobile. The thought of being basically paralyzed is a huge phobia of mine.

It's really not as dramatic as you describe. Yes, you are numb-- but it's not a disabling feeling (as least it wasn't to me). I've had a med-free & epi-dosed birth. Each have their own merits.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• kqualls5 said:

I guess I should've added that I planned on having a med free birth. I don't think there's anything wrong with getting pain meds/ blockers. I just don't want to be immobile. The thought of being basically paralyzed is a huge phobia of mine.

It's really not as dramatic as you describe. Yes, you are numb-- but it's not a disabling feeling (as least it wasn't to me). I've had a med-free & epi-dosed birth. Each have their own merits.
    Have you done any classes or practicing? Most labor coaches that teach different methods (Lamaze, Bradley, Hypno...) to practice several times in the weeks prior to birth.
  • kqualls5 said:

Have you done any classes or practicing? Most labor coaches that teach different methods (Lamaze, Bradley, Hypno...) to practice several times in the weeks prior to birth.
    Regardless of it being as dramatic as I think it is, I know it's really not what I want unless my labor takes forever and I can't handle the pain anymore.

& No, we went to one birthing class and decided to not go back. It was too weird for the both of us.
  • kqualls5 said:
    I guess I should've added that I planned on having a med free birth. I don't think there's anything wrong with getting pain meds/ blockers. I just don't want to be immobile. The thought of being basically paralyzed is a huge phobia of mine. But thank you all. I know it'll work out and be okay in the end!!
    Regardless of it being as dramatic as I think it is, I know it's really not what I want unless my labor takes forever and I can't handle the pain anymore. & No, we went to one birthing class and decided to not go back. It was too weird for the both of us.
    So what is your coping plan for labor?
  • No advise, just stopped in to say good luck! Women have been giving birth for millions of years. You will be fine. I'm due in May with my first so no words of wisdom except listen to your body and your doctors. And think of the lo you get to take home at the end of it all. Best wishes!

cat fail animated GIF

• yogahh said:
    No advise, just stopped in to say good luck! Women have been giving birth for millions of years. You will be fine. I'm due in May with my first so no words of wisdom except listen to your body and your doctors. And think of the lo you get to take home at the end of it all. Best wishes!
    Not really. It's only been 100,000 - 200,000 years ;) 

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• redfallon said:

yogahh said:

No advise, just stopped in to say good luck! Women have been giving birth for millions of years. You will be fine. I'm due in May with my first so no words of wisdom except listen to your body and your doctors. And think of the lo you get to take home at the end of it all. Best wishes!

Not really. It's only been 100,000 - 200,000 years ;) 

What's a couple hundred of thousands of years between friends ;)

cat fail animated GIF

• I had an epi with both of my labors and was able to move around in bed easily. I know that's not the case for everyone though. If you do choose an epidural they can be turned down or off if the dosage is too high. Also I know some hospitals do walking epidural to just take the edge off. Mine doesn't offer them, but it's something to look into if you need it.

• I put off my epi longer with DS than I did with DD because of the not being able to move. I told my husband and the nurse that at each contraction, I was weighing the idea of the pain vs not being able to move my legs on my own. I eventually got it when I didn't care anymore and wanted the pain to stop. 

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• @PugsandKisses I don't really have one. I know that sounds unprepared. But I'm just going to take it as it comes.
  • kqualls5 said:
    I guess I should've added that I planned on having a med free birth. I don't think there's anything wrong with getting pain meds/ blockers. I just don't want to be immobile. The thought of being basically paralyzed is a huge phobia of mine. But thank you all. I know it'll work out and be okay in the end!!
    Regardless of it being as dramatic as I think it is, I know it's really not what I want unless my labor takes forever and I can't handle the pain anymore. & No, we went to one birthing class and decided to not go back. It was too weird for the both of us.
    I am all about empowering women and encouraging the type of labor that each woman wants. HOWEVER, labor is not always about what you want and sometimes things get real and you decide to change the plan. Its OK to change the plan.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• I had an epi with both of my labors and was able to move around in bed easily. I know that's not the case for everyone though. If you do choose an epidural they can be turned down or off if the dosage is too high. Also I know some hospitals do walking epidural to just take the edge off. Mine doesn't offer them, but it's something to look into if you need it.

I had the same experience with epi. I felt no pain waist down but could still feel and move my legs. I felt like I had full control of my legs still. I could stand up even though the nurses told me not to.
    September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
  • Good luck today, hopefully you can put aside your fears and focus on bringing your little one into the world!
  • Thinking of you today as your induction gets under way. Hoping for an experience that is as much as you'd like it as possible. Happy, healthy baby and mama.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Don't freak yourself out. Of course everyone is different but I found labor to be very enjoyable. I got the epi around 6-6.5cm and was finally able to relax. I didn't feel paralyzed, just numb. I feel like PP recovery is tougher than labor. 5w PP today and I'm feeling normal again. My genius on call doc left a huge chunk of my placenta in there so make sure they take that bad boy out lol. Good luck.