April 2016 Moms
Options

Car Seat Safety Reminder

There was a post WAY back in August about car seat safety. Since many of us are already in the third trimester and quickly approaching our EDDs, I would like to remind everyone about cat seats. I see so many people putting their child in danger because they don't know proper car seat safety!

I see way too many people with their child in their car seat ON TOP of shopping carts. Don't do it. Your car seat manual even tells you not to do it. Why? The car seat is not meant to clip onto anything other than your car seat base and stroller (if you have a travel system). Placing your baby on top of the cart makes it extremely easy for the cart to tip over, since the cart is now top heavy. It's a pain to have your baby surrounded by groceries, but it's better than risking your child's safety.

Check your car seat for limitations. What's the weight AND height restrictions on it? Don't just look at the weight. DS outgrew his infant car seat at 9 months because of his height. If you are using a convertible car seat, make sure you know that height and weight restrictions for forward facing versus rear facing.

Before buckling your child into their car seat, take off their coat! You can always put it back on before you take them out of the car!

Many of the car seat accessories that people buy make a car seat unsafe! Before you buy them, make sure you do your research.

Your child should always be in the back seat. If you only HAVE a front seat (like with a truck), make sure that the airbag is turned off. Don't just put your child up front so that you can keep a better eye on them while driving.

Anniversary

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Car Seat Safety Reminder

• Options
    PS: Five point harness forever! (Or until they outgrow the limitations for the seat. In which case, think ahead and purchase something that will allow for long term forward facing. It's worth it. So very worth it.)
  • Options
    @cmjenkies Thank you. Totally forgot about that one!

Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • Options

The only other thing I have to add is to PLEASE not let your infant sleep in their car seat outside of the vehicle, without very close supervision. When the seat is not in the vehicle or in a stroller, it may not be at the appropriate recline and puts them at risk for positional asphyxiation.
  • Options
    I can't wait to try my Tula with the infant insert for shopping trips early on for that reason. There's no way a normal Target trip will be successful with so little cart space.. and I live one mile away from a Target store so it's a second home. ;)
  • Options
    @AEG84 Yes! Also, make sure the recline on your rear facing car seat is correct for their height/age. My convertible one has two separate lines for reclining based on if your child is tiny or older.

Anniversary

• Options
    Preach. It always bugs the buhjeezus out of me when I see a shitty review for a car seat and the reason is "OMG this car seat sucks, it doesn't fit on a shopping cart...". Um, it's not supposed to!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Preach it girl! DD turned 2 in December and is still REAR facing!
  • Options
    I didn't know you weren't supposed to put the car seat on a shopping cart until the first round of this post. I guess baby wearing would be a good option instead?
  • Options
    I don't understand the comments about reclining at all. What does that mean? How to babies ever survive? How do they not choke on their own vomit or something?
  • Options
    @RoseShadow873 If the baby's head is positioned too far forward, their airway can be pinched and blocked. Your baby's head should be leaning back to keep the passage clear.

Here's an example of what you do not want:

Different car seats have different indicators to tell you if your baby is reclined enough in your car.

Anniversary

• Options
    Yes!!! I never know if I should say something to the moms with the car seats in the seat part of a shopping cart. (I haven't yet)

It is a pain to shop with the car seat in the shopping cart but it's only until they can sit up on their own and then you can move them to the front. So it's like 8 months or less typically!
  • Options
    @akb1125 I've been yelled at a few times for informing people about the car seat in the cart thing. With LO coming, I plan on trying baby wearing so my car isn't full with the car seat and the seat with my toddler.

Anniversary

• Options
    Thank you fbanke42 for the example! It does look like shopping would be hard with a carseat! There is no room in that cart!
  • Options
    spicedicespicedice member
    edited January 2016
    @RoseShadow873 I would have someone ride in the back with your LO a few times to see if they are actually reclined enough. DS wasn't, so we had to shove some towels underneath the car seat base to get the proper recline. Once we switched vehicles, we didn't need the towels anymore. Regardless of if you have to prop the seat up a bit, always make sure the base is latched in tightly. One of the best ways to do this is to push down on the car seat while tightening it in. My parents are terrible about that, so now I have to put the car seat in their car for them if they have to babysit.

Anniversary

• Options
    Another 2 year old still rear facing here!! :)
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Definitely will baby wear while shopping with my solly baby wrap. Just seems easier than putting car seat in the cart. @fbanke42 thank you for your post! Very informative on things I never knew
  • Options
    If you're on fb, join car seats for the Littles for lots of info and check out csftl.org
  • Options
    Thanks for this post. I've also seen people with the car seats in the middle of the backseat of the car. Now I don't know if that's because that's the only spot in their car with an appropriate latch or what, but it's not safe to have the seat there (I think I read that on the car seat lady's website)
  • Options
    Preach! Baby wearing is so much easier while shopping anyway. 
    And a UO: I always wonder when I see moms with huge babies (I'm talking, 9-12 months old) lugging them around in a bucket carseat... why not take the baby out and actually hold them? 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Poppy16 said:

Preach! Baby wearing is so much easier while shopping anyway. 
    And a UO: I always wonder when I see moms with huge babies (I'm talking, 9-12 months old) lugging them around in a bucket carseat... why not take the baby out and actually hold them? 

Answer: to get buff, obviously.

• Options
    @AmadorRose I'm dying...

Anniversary

• Options

Thanks for this post. I've also seen people with the car seats in the middle of the backseat of the car. Now I don't know if that's because that's the only spot in their car with an appropriate latch or what, but it's not safe to have the seat there (I think I read that on the car seat lady's website)

Wait? I thought it was the opposite?! That the middle wa a safer because it keeps baby from being hit from the side in an accident.

https://thecarseatlady.com/center-or-side/

• Options
    WBORDERS said:

Wait? I thought it was the opposite?! That the middle wa a safer because it keeps baby from being hit from the side in an accident.

Car seats can be installed in whatever seat will get you an appropriate install. Some cars don't offer LATCH in the middle seats, but you could still install it with the middle belt. If you have only one kiddo in a seat and can get a good install in the middle, that is slightly safer statistically than a side. However, a side installation is still perfectly acceptable.
  • Options
    AEG84 said:
    Wait? I thought it was the opposite?! That the middle wa a safer because it keeps baby from being hit from the side in an accident. https://thecarseatlady.com/center-or-side/
    Car seats can be installed in whatever seat will get you an appropriate install. Some cars don't offer LATCH in the middle seats, but you could still install it with the middle belt. If you have only one kiddo in a seat and can get a good install in the middle, that is slightly safer statistically than a side. However, a side installation is still perfectly acceptable.
    What does LATCH mean? Is it like the shoulder seat belts?
  • Options

AEG84 said:

WBORDERS said:

What does LATCH mean? Is it like the shoulder seat belts?

Latch is the type of harness. Newer cars have places in the back seat for the car seat or car seat base to "latch on" to the car.

Hopefully the images I found help!

Anniversary

• Options
    @RoseShadow873 Older cars don't have the latch system, so you have to use the seatbelt instead. Each car seat should show you pictures of how to install the car seat on the side and in the manual.

Anniversary

• Options
    The stats show minimal difference btwn seat being in the middle or on a side.
  • Options
    Oh wow, that makes sense. Thank you for the information! I'll have to check my cars!
  • Options
    Yup definitely check your car manual. It'll tell you the different options for car seat installation in your car and suggestions for best install location for your particular model.

I seriously hate seeing car seats on top of shopping carts, it makes my heart jump every time.
  • Options
    WBORDERS said:

Ah my fault! I swear I read somewhere that the middle wasn't safe because of the possibility of the seat/baby flying out through the middle.
  • Options
    I wanted to add my car is newer and doesn't have latch in the middle.  We didn't realize the latches were not for the middle and actually for the two sides and installed that way.  We had it checked and they fixed it.  We ended up installing the infant seat in the middle using the belt, once we moved to convertible we went to the passenger side.
  • Options
    Also, I see this a lot, I don't think people realize that convertible seats rear face.  They assume they are only forward facing and put little babies forward facing which is very dangerous.  Please check your states requirements.  I live in NJ and it was previously 2 years AND 20 pounds to forward face, now it's 2 years AND 30 pounds, which means the child must meet both requirements to forward face.  
  • Options
    In lieu of the cart or baby wearing, I commonly kept DD in her car seat but plopped it into its snap and go stroller frame for errands and shopping. It's safe and that stroller has an impressive storage basket underneath! It's particularly useful if baby falls asleep on the way to the store and you don't want to wake them up. Just another suggestion for ftms out there, plus the snap and go is the easiest frame ever! We used it almost exclusively when DD was little for stroller purposes
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Options
    Just wanted to add that most cars do not have LATCH in the center position or allow "latch borrowing" from outboard positions, so a center install usually has to use the seat belt (sometimes with a lockoff built into the car seat, sometimes with a locking clip, sometimes just with a locking seatbelt. I know for whatever reason the center seat in my husband's car did not have a locking seatbelt even though the outboard seats did. ). I didn't learn until we were moving my daughter to her convertible at 13 mos that we had the base installed wrong in our primary car (had used outboard latches).
    kids with flags
  • Options
    FYI on the middle seat. That is where I wanted DDs seat to go but we have a RAV4 SUV and the back seat is split so you can lay down one side while still maintaining a seat. This means to put the carseat in the middle, the latches are on two separate seats, therefore unsafe. So when rows are split, middle seats are not a safe option.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    The law in Indiana is still 1 year AND 20 lbs to forward face, which is too early.

I know a girl who forward faced her daughter at (no joke) 8-9 months and 15ish lbs. I gave her tons of resources and real life practical experience and she never changed it. I was so worried about that baby. She said "I got pulled over with her forward facing and the cop didn't say anything!" Lady, YOU are her momma. It's not a cop's responsibility ultimately to protect your child from death. It's yours. You know what you're doing is not only illegal, but unsafe. Don't pass the buck.
  • Options
    cmjenkiescmjenkies member
    edited January 2016
    And talking about real world experience, when I was in graduate school, I interned at a very well known academic hospital system in the lower Midwest in their children's hospital (usually outpatient therapy). During a day covering in inpatient therapy, I met two children who almost lost their lives due to misuse of a car seat. Both involved multi-car interstate accidents with semis, I believe.

The first was a 2yo boy who was ejected from the vehicle still IN his car seat and was pretty well internally decapitated. He was in a halo brace with traumatic neck soft tissue damage and swelling in his brain. The boy was properly restrained within the seat, but the seat was not properly restrained within the car. He was so, so scared. Dad only had a broken arm.

The second was a very obese 4yo. I'm taking 70-80 lbs. He was in the car with a lap belt only, shoulder strap behind his neck, no booster or anything. They were rear ended by a semi, and he was severed trans-abdominally to the spinal cord. It's a miracle the boy was not cleanly cut in half. He suffered severe soft organ trauma and will be a paraplegic for the rest of his life. Parents were uninjured. They all acted like it was NBD, were too busy playing on their electronics to actively speak with healthcare professionals and the kiddo did not want to participate in therapy because he had to turn off his video games.

These two incidents have stuck with me over the last two years since that placement, I think of these boys often when I'm discussing car seat safety with other parents. Seeing things like this in real life and the way it affects both children and their families is unreal. If we can do better, then we should. There should be no mommy wars when it comes to basic, detrimental safety. Nope nope nope.
  • Options
    What kind of blows my minds is knowing that daycares using vans don't have to follow these guidelines at all. I read that they are enforcing the rules for children in car seats and booster seats more heavily now than in the past and mentioned it to the owner of the preschool I worked for, and she said they are exempt because of the type of van they had. My job was to pick up like ten kids 3-4 from their homes and take them to the school, on field trips and back home. We had one booster seat, and it was never strapped down to anything. Yet we passed inspections every quarter. Boggles the mind, right?
  • Options
    spicedicespicedice member
    edited January 2016

What kind of blows my minds is knowing that daycares using vans don't have to follow these guidelines at all. I read that they are enforcing the rules for children in car seats and booster seats more heavily now than in the past and mentioned it to the owner of the preschool I worked for, and she said they are exempt because of the type of van they had. My job was to pick up like ten kids 3-4 from their homes and take them to the school, on field trips and back home. We had one booster seat, and it was never strapped down to anything. Yet we passed inspections every quarter. Boggles the mind, right?

Definitely never sending my kids to daycare! Nope. Not happening. Things like that just make it a big ol' nope.

Anniversary