Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Not wanting veggies

My kiddo will eat fruits but not veggies. What can I do to get him to eat veggies?

Re: Not wanting veggies

• Options
    Put half and half on the spoon and try that. My LO would make the most horrendous faces when I tried to feed him peas so I'd put peas on the spoon then applesauce on the tip so he tastes the apple and opens his mouth. Then shove it in before he notices the peas ha ha. It worked. He eats them just fine now. I still mix it with applesauce though. I think it's a better texture.
  • Options
    I also mix fruit and veggies together unless they're sweet veggies like carrots and sweet potatoes.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    NickiochNickioch member
    edited January 2016
    We have opposite issue-loves veggies hates fruit! I like the half spoon idea I'll try that. I think just waiting a week or two and coming back to it, too. Mine also won't do anything textured so we're still on puréed only, he's 9 mo today. It's all try try try for now until he decides to like it!
  • Options
    Nickioch said:

We have opposite issue-loves veggies hates fruit! I like the half spoon idea I'll try that. I think just waiting a week or two and coming back to it, too. Mine also won't do anything textured so we're still on puréed only, he's 9 mo today. It's all try try try for now until he decides to like it!

We have the same problem!! I thought I was the only one with a weird baby who liked veggies and not fruits.
  • Options
    I had the same problem. My ped told me a little too late about the order of foods you should try with your LO. 
    He said go through all of the green veggies first (peas, broccoli, spinach, kale, zucchini, green beans) then move on to the orange veggies  (carrots, squash, sweet potatoes) then introduce other colored veggies, then your pureed meats and lastly fruits.
    We didn't know this when we first started DS on solids so we switched it around and did fruit in the morning  (sometimes with rice cereal or by itself) and then veggies in the evening. Well DS got smart and after he started catching on to the evening meals not tasting sweet, he boycotted all veggies, even ones he previously liked. 
    I wasn't sure what to do but I thought I'd start from scratch so I just gave him rice cereal twice a day for just over a week. Then I added a little bit of veggies to the cereal and every day added a little more until I was able to remove the cereal from the equation.
    Now he's back on the veggie train and I don't see bringing back fruit any time soon until we've done all different veggies for a solid month or more.
  • Options
    The half and half spoon idea is great. You could also blend them together if you're making baby food at home. Sometimes we will make broccoli, peas, and pears. Or, spinach, squash, and apricots. A really odd combo they LOVE is beans and nectarines. It's kind of like the half and half spoon idea, but blended together in the baby food maker. I hope it helps!

www.theydontfeedthemselves.com

My favorite activities and tips for surviving different phases with our twins!