Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Milk protein allergy

My son just got diagnosed with a milk protein allergy. Just wondering if anyone had a kiddo with this and how everything turned out. Also what were the symptoms?

Re: Milk protein allergy

• Options
    We have at least an intolerance. Extremely fussy, spit up. Also reflux-pushing back for burps. No weight gain.

We're using nutramigen. Alimentum didn't work for us.
  • Options
    @Knottie1442268460 Ok. I'm wondering if the alimentum isn't working. He hasn't pooped in 2 days. I have 2 friends that put their babies on nutramigen. Thx!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Not pooing for a few days is common.
  • Options
    I called the pediatrician office and they only worry if it's been 4 days. Mean while it sucks to hear him grunting in pain. Anything I can give him?
  • Options

I called the pediatrician office and they only worry if it's been 4 days. Mean while it sucks to hear him grunting in pain. Anything I can give him?

Did you try the physical ways to move poop, like bicycling his legs?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'll be watching this thread closely as my LO was recently diagnosed. We've had him on alimentum for 4 days and he seems to feel better but still has several fits during the day.
  • Options
    Yes I've tried bicycling his legs, warm bath, massage his belly and stimulating his sphincter.
  • Options
    @Penn2walk they put my son on alimentum 2 almost 3 days ago and he still hasn't pooped. I just switched him to nutramigen to see if that makes it better. I feel so bad cause I can't do anything for him.
  • Options
    Update he finally pooped!
  • Options
    May I ask how he was diagnosed?
  • Options
    @kdoak2015 I found blood in his stool and took him to the pediatrician. He was also grunting a lot like he was trying to poo but couldn't. Also sounded like he was in pain.
  • Options
    We have this issue with our DD she grunts a lot after feeding or screams after but not sure how to get a diagnosis for her. We thought it was GERD, colick, now I'm wondering if it's the formula but she only seems to do it at the night feeds. Urg babies are confusing.
  • Options
    @kdoak2015 yes they are! If you think it's that then you have to give up dairy, soy and eggs (per my pediatrician) if you're breastfeeding or switch her to a hypoallergenic formula like alimentum or nutramigen. That's all the dr Will tell you to do.
  • Options
    I'm breast feeding, so I had to change my diet. No more milk products for me.. I switched to soy milk, imitation butter, and vegan cheese (which tastes like cheese potato- pretty good). So far the blood stopped showing up in his diaper. I'm also giving him Alimentum for supplementing.
  • Options
    We are also going through this. It's been a huge battle! I am breastfeeding, but I also have to supplement because we had a rough start, and my milk hasn't caught up with him yet.(despite my many efforts to increase supply!) but I refuse to give up!

He started having a lot of pain trying to poop and pass gas, he also developed eczema, and he also had a little bit of blood in his stool.

The pedi said that the only way to see if that's the problem was to eliminate dairy and soy from my diet. I also started using Nutramigen for supplimenting. It seemed to help a lot for 2 weeks, then recent I have been able to BF him all day and then in the evening he would need one bottle of formula, and he broke out with an eczema rash all over his body. We went back to the pedi and they have started us on Puramino.

He has only had one bottle of it so far, and so far things are ok...

• Options
    For those of you with LOs that are constipated try The Windi. It's bizarre at first but it really works and saved my sanity when my baby girl couldn't go and was struggling with bad gas. She's much happier now!
  • Options
    AshFox413 said:

We are also going through this. It's been a huge battle! I am breastfeeding, but I also have to supplement because we had a rough start, and my milk hasn't caught up with him yet.(despite my many efforts to increase supply!) but I refuse to give up!

He started having a lot of pain trying to poop and pass gas, he also developed eczema, and he also had a little bit of blood in his stool.

The pedi said that the only way to see if that's the problem was to eliminate dairy and soy from my diet. I also started using Nutramigen for supplimenting. It seemed to help a lot for 2 weeks, then recent I have been able to BF him all day and then in the evening he would need one bottle of formula, and he broke out with an eczema rash all over his body. We went back to the pedi and they have started us on Puramino.

He has only had one bottle of it so far, and so far things are ok...

It can take a couple weeks for the protiens to leave your bodies. Hard to wait when your babe is having a tough time, but don't give up! Soy and eggs are also common issues along with milk proteins so you might want to eliminate more than that while you're at it.
  • Options
    We just experienced this type of thing with our LO.  It started up last Monday.  We went from Enfamil Supplementing, to Gentlease, to Similac Sensitive.  All of those were just as bad as the previous one before it and we took him back to the pedi. today after no luck with the advice given to us on our visit last Thursday.

We are now trying the Nutramigen and so far he seems happier in between bottle feedings and is able to fall asleep more easily. He's only had 4 bottles of it so far, but we are hoping this is what we need.  We went the past 2 nights with no sleep and just constant crying, fussiness, inability to pass gas, and much more.  It was awful. =(  

My Pedi. told me to stimulate him with a thermometer to get him to pass a stool, because she warned us at this point, it will probably be difficult for him to pass it, so try and get him to do it sooner than later.  The last time he had gone was at some point during Saturday evening into Sunday morning.  When we changed him at his 1 am feeding he had quite the poo in his diaper.  I also gave him some prune juice yesterday and that did not seem to get things going, not even a lot of gas came from it.  I hate doing the stimulation but it did make him pass a ton of gas for the remainder of the night.  I don't think I've ever been this anticipatory/hopeful for a bowl movement before. =P