July 2016 Moms

Calorie intake in second trimester?

OK so I'm not strictly counting calories, but I'm wondering if you're typically supposed to eat more in your second trimester.

First trimester I was feeling full all the time.  Now that I'm about to enter my second, I'm all of a sudden hungry all of the time.  I tried searching on whether you are supposed to increase your calorie intake in the 2nd trimester, but I'm getting conflicting information. Some say you need to increase your intake in the 2nd, while others say that you don't need to until your 3rd.  

What's happening to you ladies? Are you eating more now that you've entered 2nd trimester and find that you need the extra food? Or is your appetite pretty much the same?

Re: Calorie intake in second trimester?

• Officially, all you need is about 300 more calories a day.
  • I've gotten more hungry. On a podcast I listen to they said around 1900-2400 calories a day is a good goal for second tri, no idea where they got it from though. Honestly, I just try and eat as healthy as I can, trying to get all the food groups and portions I'm supposed to get (which I still think is practically impossible to accomplish).
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks! Part of me feels like... alright you're hungry, so eat some healthy (usually) stuff, even if it's more than you'd usually eat.  The other part of me is wondering if I just have a serious case of the munchies all of a sudden and the extra calories aren't necessary.
  • I find myself eating an extra snack or two throughout the day. My normal meals still fill me up but I notice myself getting really hungry like an hour before bed, around like 10pm, I go to bed pretty late for whatever reason.
    Married: August 2012
    TTC #1: July 2015
    BFP 1: October 30, 2015; EDD: July 6, 2016- Team Pink
    TTC #2: September 2019

• If you've never heard of it, My Fitness Pal is a great website with free calorie tracker and a huge database that makes it super easy to see your calories and macros broken down. My midwife told me 1st trimester no extra calories are needed, 2nd tri 300 extra are needed, and 3rd 450 extra are needed. I used to track my nutrients for training on MFP, but quit when we were TTC and got PG. After my last appointment I'm actually tracking again because I'm not eating enough and am still down weight at 16 weeks. If we're supposed to gain 25lbs by 40 weeks and I'm at -2lbs I figured out I need to gain 1.125lbs per week from now on... I just don't see how it's going to happen- the numbers aren't realistic. This is like balancing the budget :( Hoping my body knows what it's doing and I have enough extra fat on me that Seamonkey is going to be okay.
  • I thought it was an extra 300 2nd and 3rd tri. You should be gaining weight second tri though, so yes, you definitely extra calories.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I heard 300 2nd and 500 3rd. But who knows. It varies based on your individual needs, where you're starting from, activity level, etc.
  • I ate lots more my 1st trimester trying to keep the nausea away. Therefore I shouldn't eat more calories now than before! I am listening to my body and trying to make more healthy choices than nonhealthy. I eat whenever I am hungry.

I worried about weight gain with DD since I put on 49 pounds with her. However my doctor never worried, I delivered a healthy baby and lost all the weight within 2 months. That leads me to think that is how much weight I needed to gain! I am trying not to worry about the scale this time.
  • I am STARVING the past few weeks. I eat well so I haven't been limiting myself in quantity. I'm still below my pre-pregnancy weight at 15 + 3, but I'm sure now that the baby is doubling its weight every week and I'm eating all the damn time I'll pack on the pounds pretty quickly.

• CroscrewCroscrew member
    edited January 2016
    I am counting calories, but more to know what I actually put into my mouth so it won't be junk (I did that the first time around and do not want to do it again). I am currently shooting for a little over 2000 calories, about 300 over my normal intake. I like to use the app Lose it! And sink it to my fitbit so it can account for the extra activities I do during the day. I teach physical education so there are days I get LOADS of steps on top of a workout, so knowing if I can maybe eat a little more or not so much is important to me.
  • I am still dealing with a lot of MS so basically still struggling with keeping things down. It has gotten a bit better, and I've gained some of the weight I've lost, but I'm still down from where I was pre-pregnancy. I'm hoping that I get a better handle on my symptoms soon and I'll have more of an appetite.
  • Well, I started exercising a TON more in 2nd, and I hadn't gained anything yet. My appetite is through the roof, but I don't know how much is due to not feeling nauseous, being cold, needing more calories for leech, and/or exercising more. But I've always been one that has been able to keep weight (pre-preg) in a nice place as long as I listen to my body, so I'm just going with it for now.
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Pregnancy Ticker
  • stillcozystillcozy member
    edited January 2016
    My dr told me just to add 300 calories (roughly half a bagel) to my diet all 3 trimesters. However I was overweight to begin with.

Eta: spelling is hard tonight
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• I'm in the same boat as you, hungry all the time! I've been ready for my first lunch before 11 every day this week! I try to eat a snack or drink some water and busy myself and eventually when I look up again it's an actual appropriate lunch time. But after I eat, within an hour, I'm ready for more.

In my defense, my lunches tend to be lean cuisines...300 calories don't really cut it for my big butt.

Im not focusing at all on the weight gain, actually since I'm overweight to start with I shouldn't be gaining too much. But if you're hungry, then just EAT! It's not good to feel like you're starving...aim for something healthy. If your hand falls on a potato chip, eat it anyway!
  • If you are hungry definitely look at food that gives you guys protein. Protein will make you feel satisfied for longer than eating 300 cals or carbs. Eat something like another piece of grilled chicken, yogurt, or maybe even a protein shake that is approved by the doctor.

I have been also feeling a lot more hungry and I know its tempting to stuff bad food down your throat but I tend to go for fruits or nuts. It makes me full and I feel great that I ate something on the healthier side
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I tend to binge on junk very easily, so I've been logging all my food in MyFitnessPal.  Also helpful so I can try to make sure I get the nutrients I'm supposed to be getting (never get all of them, but I try--yay for prenatal vitamins!).  I had it set to 1800 during first tri.  Just entered second tri and haven't adjusted yet.  I'm thinking 2000?  I was normal BMI before pregnancy, but about 10lbs above where I personally thought I should be.  I've been eating 3 small meals + 3 snacks per day, so feels a bit like I'm constantly eating but it keeps me feeling good.   Breakfast is a bran muffin.  Morning snack is usually fruit, nuts, and/or cheese.  Lunch is a wildcard.  Afternoon snack is a bowl of honey nut cheerios.  Dinner is veggies, protein, and usually some brown rice.  Evening snack is often a dessert item.  ;-)  
    09/12/14 BFP (EDD 5/15/15) 
    10/06/14 US #1 showing baby at 6W1D w/ no HB (rather than 8W4D)
    10/13/14 US #2 confirming miscarriage 
    10/28/14   800mg oral cytotec (very good experience)  

• I found a great calculator for this. I know that because I'm petite, my calorie needs were lower pre-pregnancy. Especially when dieting. So I wasn't sure what "about 300 extra calories" should put me at. So here's a helpful little link. Apparently I need to be eating a bit over 1500 calories a day. Which is about what I figured. But it helps to confirm IMO. :)

https://www.freedieting.com/tools/pregnancy_calorie_calculator.htm
  • my doc said 300 extra calories, and 500 if you plan on breast feeding but if you lost weight during your first trimester you can probably budget in a few hundred calories more a day. The calculations basically work out to something like 300 calories x 7 days a week x 40 weeks/3500 calories in a pound= 24 lbs which is sort of on the low end of what docs suggest as average weight gain, so there's wiggle room there depending on what your starting weight was.
  • @PinkLady2015 I'm not sure how to read what you wrote. I believe it's while BFing that you then need an extra 500 calories. Not while pregnant in preparation? For the record BFing made me way hungrier than being pregnant. Within a month of having my daughter I lost all but 7 pounds and then proceeded to gain about 15 over the next year. :-( Doesn't start me off great this pregnancy...
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @PinkLady2015 I'm not sure how to read what you wrote. I believe it's while BFing that you then need an extra 500 calories. Not while pregnant in preparation? For the record BFing made me way hungrier than being pregnant. Within a month of having my daughter I lost all but 7 pounds and then proceeded to gain about 15 over the next year. :-( Doesn't start me off great this pregnancy...

That's actually a really good question... my nurse at my last appointment (I thought!) said an extra 500 calories if you plan on breastfeeding... but now I'm wondering if I misunderstood or she misspoke and meant to say 500 calories when you ARE BF'ing... my apt is next Wed so I'll double check with her.
  • I highly agree with @chanfa! If all I have is a bowl of cereal with almond milk and a banana, I have not had enough protein to get myself through the morning. Eggs it is everyday for this girl. But any other type of protein you like would work.
  • I've heard to add the extra once your breast feeding since you are burning a lot of calories not sure how adding extra would help us now.
    Hm interesting though I plan on it but I probably won't add it in due to being on the heavier side

• @Lindsayleigh1989 Just be careful that you don't get too few calories if you do BF or your supply will drop. Every woman is different, but I know some just couldn't work out or lose weight while BFing because of this. It made me so hungry anyway it was a losing battle. I gained instead of lost while BFing. :-/
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @Lindsayleigh1989 Just be careful that you don't get too few calories if you do BF or your supply will drop. Every woman is different, but I know some just couldn't work out or lose weight while BFing because of this. It made me so hungry anyway it was a losing battle. I gained instead of lost while BFing. :-/

Sorry I was unclear I meant adding in the extra calories before I give birth I do plan on upping it once I do start breast feeding though