December 2015 Moms
Options

Baby Carriers

I know there were a few discussions about carriers..what did everyone end up buying and why? How are you liking baby wearing so far?

I swore up and down I would not buy a carrier and now we're in the market for one. We have a vacation planned for September and will definitely need something with great back support and breathable so DD doesn't overheat. Any suggestions?

Re: Baby Carriers

• Options
    I have a Beco Gemini and really like it. It's easy to put on and comfortable. DD falls right asleep. It was recommended to me by a friend who still uses it for her baby at 9 months. It also seems pretty easy to breastfed in it, if you're doing that, but I haven't tried yet.

I also was gifted a ring sling and can't make it work, which makes me sad, haha.
  • Options
    I have the Boba 4G. I've used it once so far and really liked it. I've also heard good things about the Lillebaby. There's a version that unzips a front panel to allow some airflow for hot days.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I love my Ergo!
  • Options
    I have a Ktan right now and really like it but plan on getting a Tula once he is a little bigger.
  • Options
    I have a linen ring sling from Mama Mermaid, and also a mei tai from Babyhawk. So far I'm loving the sling but it did take a bit to figure out how to use it! There are lots of youtube videos that are helpful. My next step is to learn how to nurse him in the sling!
  • Options
    If you are looking for something breathable and you are a small person than I would not recommend the Moby wrap. it is a LOT of material and thick material. It is super strong.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    You might want to check out your local babywearing international group. You could probably find them on Facebook. You can take baby to a meetup and try on different wraps and carriers.

I have a woven wrap and a Lillebaby. I like both for different reasons. The Lille is way easier to use than a wrap, but more expensive.
  • Options
    There are just SO many options it's overwhelming! I would love a simple sling or wrap for around the house or running errands but I really need something with great back support. DD will be 9 months by the time we leave and it'll be 4 days of constant wearing. Does anyone have a Lillebaby? What are your thoughts on those?
  • Options
    I have the baby Bjorn, the Moby wrap, and the mei tai, all hand me downs. I like the baby Bjorn for its convenience super easy to put on and it has the best head support, but baby likes the Moby wrap best, it helps calm him down when he's fussy. Unfortunately I can't baby wear to long because I have back issues.
  • Options
    I'm part of the fb group but already missed the meetings for the month. :(
  • Options
    I have the K'tan and the ergo. I use the K'tan a lot when it's just me a baby going out as it is a lot easier for me to assemble on my own. I think the ergo will be easier when I don't have to use the infant insert anymore. Just make sure you get the right size with the K'tan.. I originally purchased a medium and it was too big and I felt like LO was not be supported...exchanged for a small and we are both much happier. 
  • Options
    I have the Boba wrap that I have been using now while he is little. I've used it a few times and like it so far. It took a couple tries for me to get the hang of it but now I'm pretty good at it. I also have an Ergo 360 for when he gets older but I have yet to try it out.
  • Options
    Court11152325Court11152325 member
    edited January 2016
    I love my Lillebaby because it doesn't require an infant insert. You can just put a rolled up blanket in the bottom and sit baby on it. And I find that it has good back support, plus you can carry in 6 different positions - so if one position hurts your back, you can switch it up.

ETA: you can use the different positions when baby is old enough on your vacation. Not while she's an infant. :)
  • Options
    I have a ring sling I love for the first few months. Then a solid type sling, this is nice to keep in the diaper bag. I have an ergo that is great for longer walks or hiking. I tried a moby wrap and didn't like it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I second the boba! Just got ours and we love it. Once you get the hang of putting it on it's pretty simple and LO loves it! He falls asleep quickly and it's breathable enough for me to wear it for long periods of time. I'm obsessed!
  • Options
    tesary said:

I have a Ktan right now and really like it but plan on getting a Tula once he is a little bigger.

This exactly here. Love my ktan for while she's small but have a Tula for when she hits about 15 lbs, great back support on that!
  • Options
    Kinderpack. That thing has saved my back!!! I like the moby too, but only for when they are really little. A Kinderpack will work for years. My sister has over 15 different baby carriers, all of which I've tried. Kinderpack is by far the most comfy. They are hard to get but so worth it. A million times better than a baby bjorn, ergo, Tula, etc.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I'm heading to BRU today to check everything out!
  • Options
    I got the boba 4g and DH, DS and I all love it!  I really love how easy the infant "insert" is in the boba 4g, the infant insert simplicity and being included is the main reason I chose it over the the ergo.

I also bought the boba wrap I need to play with it some more, DH used it a couple times successfully, when I tried DS was fussy so I need to try it again. I'd really like to teach DS to BF in the wrap as he gets older and has more head/neck control. I can say I am a little annoyed with how much my shirts slide around while putting on the wrap (which I'm sure would happen with any wrap style carrier). I've heard some people put wraps on at home and then when they arrive at the store they take baby out of the carseat and put them in the wrap, I may try that soon.

DS is 3 weeks and hasn't been in a stroller yet because we prefer wearing him since he is so content in the carrier and he is still little and it is fairly cold out it is reassuring to be able to feel that is nice and warm.
  • Options
    I have 3 ☺️ I have a boba wrap which I use around the house to get housework done. Love it, and I looooove my ring sling. It took some time to figure out how to use it correctly but like PP stated, there are local baby wearing groups on fb that are very helpful. I've met some awesome ladies and they've gotten me to pro status! Ha! I also have an Infantino Mei Tei that I've not used yet
  • Options
    I had a ring sling that I returned because I couldn't get comfortable with it. I have an Infantino Mei Tai that I also used with DD and like it better. 

https://www.infantino.com/products/sash

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I have both the boba wrap and carrier/4g. The carrier is more sturdy, I use it to get housework done. I think the carrier would work great for what you're looking for, it has slots for babies' legs once their big enough.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Just curious: Why did you swear up and down you would never get one?
    I just have a Snugli brand carrier from Ross.
    I bought it originally to use with little cousin (girl) and now I have a little boy but I have still been using this one with him anyway although the design is kinda girly. I also had a Spiderman one that's really cute from someone on a local for sale site on facebook but I am just comfortable with my old one and confident in its support so I haven't even tried the Spiderman one yet.
  • Options
    Love my Lillebaby Airflow. It's got great back support and is made of mesh- so very breathable!
  • Options
    I have a ring sling, Moby, and an Ergo. LO hates all 3 so far. Sigh.

• Options
    I use my ring sling all the time. Leo loves it and usually falls asleep in it.

https://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/69/1a18c2e7532600b237c0ccef11ba85.jpeg

Proud Mommy of Derek Michael

April 8, 2014 9lb 6oz 21 inches

• Options
    In Germany, the manduca is considered the best.
    No idea if you could purchase one in the US but I'm convinced it's the best there is.
    Pretty expensive though.
    https://www.manducababytrage.de/?gclid=CI-S5K63x8oCFUs6GwodTgUAfQ

• Options
    misamima said:

I have a ring sling, Moby, and an Ergo. LO hates all 3 so far. Sigh.

My son never liked them either. Thank goodness dd does! I like the beco Gemini for out & about, also like the K'tan, moby is a mystery to me & never feels sturdy, I have 2 others I haven't explored yet - everything was a hand-me-down.
    I loooove my ergo jacket that fits the baby inside- I couple it with the Gemini.
  • Options
    I'm divided between getting a baby bjorn Classic, beca gemini and lillebaby airflow for my trip to Mexico. LO will be 2.5 months when we go. I want something comfy for the plane yet practical for walking the beach and streets. Something that won't make me incredibly hot. Any ideas?
  • Options

I'm divided between getting a baby bjorn Classic, beca gemini and lillebaby airflow for my trip to Mexico. LO will be 2.5 months when we go. I want something comfy for the plane yet practical for walking the beach and streets. Something that won't make me incredibly hot. Any ideas?

We have a solly wrap. You put it on like a moby but it is much thinner and stretchier. We also have an ergo baby too that we use when I need to take him on and off. I can also BF in the ergo.
  • Options
    goldochsi said:
    In Germany, the manduca is considered the best.
    No idea if you could purchase one in the US but I'm convinced it's the best there is.
    Pretty expensive though.
    https://www.manducababytrage.de/?gclid=CI-S5K63x8oCFUs6GwodTgUAfQ

That looks like an Ergo.

Jamie

• Options
    I have a Boba wrap that I'm using now and DD loves it.... Until she gets too hot. I can't imagine it in the summer time! We also have a classic baby Bjorn for when she's bigger.
  • Options
    I have a moby and a ring sling and my LO hates both.... It could be an operator problem- because I don't think either one are easy to use. I'm gonna take my moby back tomorrow and get a different one. I hope the 3rd one is a charm.
  • Options

I have a moby and a ring sling and my LO hates both.... It could be an operator problem- because I don't think either one are easy to use. I'm gonna take my moby back tomorrow and get a different one. I hope the 3rd one is a charm.

The ring sling takes a bit to figure out but once you get the hang of it it's awesome! There are some great videos online that help! I also love that it goes from 6 to 35 pounds! I'm expecting to get a lot of use out of it!
  • Options
    KRH6829KRH6829 member
    edited January 2016

I have the baby bjorn Classic and love it. It is just so easy to use, and costs much less than some of the others. Also, my son liked it and DD has been in it a couple of times and seems to like it as well.
  • Options
    mistycraymistycray member
    edited January 2016
    I LOVE my Lillebaby! You don't need an insert and you can wear them from 7-45 lbs and you can wear 6 different ways. I live in humid Tennessee so I bought the airflow model.

Eta...I bought mine for nearly half price the Lillebaby website. They often have open box sales, but mine was brand new with tags!
  • Options
    rmarie13 said:

I have a Boba wrap that I'm using now and DD loves it.... Until she gets too hot. I can't imagine it in the summer time! We also have a classic baby Bjorn for when she's bigger.

DD runs cold and I'm now certain that's part of the reason she loves the Boba wrap so much. I'm the one that gets hot with it and, like you, can't imagine it during the summer. I've gotten fairly fast wrapping it but would still like something a little easier. I've been looking at some of the ergo baby carriers with mesh.
  • Options
    We love our Solly now that I've gotten the hang of wrapping it. DD snuggles right in. We have an Ergo from DS we will use when she's older, I just never liked the infant insert that Ergo uses.
    -LJ
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker