2nd Trimester
Options

Stokke Crib - any thoughts?

If there is a registry forum or some place better to post this, please point me to it!

We've started receiving hand me downs already which is AMAZING.
one thing we've been offered is a stokke crib.
https://www.stokke.com/USA/en-us/nursery/stokke-sleepi/1043.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiA_MK0BRDQsf_bsZS-_OIBEiQADPf--ibhE-wgfFtTBHnInNkMQvwTsqULWFah3a6D_e-_oX8aAu-C8P8HAQ

Here's the thing.  it is missing the bassinet sized mattress ($100).  and because the mattresses are circular/oval and not a standard size, they are pretty expensive.
The crib also has mixed reviews due  to safety (though i'm assuming this one is sturdy because it made it through two boys already).

I am overwhelmed with the generosity ( we have received so much stuff.. some of which very pricey) but am thinking it might be better to get our own crib, as it might be cheaper and easier to have a standard crib rather than this fancy schmancy one.

Thoughts? 

Re: Stokke Crib - any thoughts?

• Options
    It's a generous offer.  Regarding the safety of it (I personally know nothing about these cribs except that they are $$), I would want to check into it to make sure that it really is safe first.  Yes, it made it through two babies already; however it doesn't mean that there is something that should have been or should be addressed.

Don't forget to consider that not only will you need to purchase a new mattress, but also mattress pads and fitted sheets.  I am sure those are $$ as well.

If you plan on converting it and using it after the baby / toddler stage, you'll also likely spend $$ on the conversion kits.

I'd weigh all of that together and decide if it's worth it to use it and spend $$ getting it ready to use, or spend $$ getting a new one that is probably a little more standard in size.
  • Options
    It's such a beautiful item, I'd say go for it! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That's a very nice hand-me-down... I'd do a comparison of all the costs and see where you land. I think you'll be hard-pressed to find a crib you like with mattress and sheets for less than the cost of just the mattress and sheets for this one (barring any craigslist finds). And I imagine resale value on this crib is decent (vs practically nil for cheap cribs)--if you use it for a couple years and then sell it.
  • Options
    Personally, I wouldn't go for it. 

I agree with PP - the high cost of the additional items that you'll need for it aren't worth it. You'd probably end up spending less (or as much), on a new, more standard sized crib, the conversion kit for that (which I highly recommend buying when you buy the crib - they discontinued our model and it was kind of a waste), sheets, bedding, etc. 

It's a very generous offer, but you're going to be pouring a lot of money into it, imho. Also, just looking at how it expands, it seems like it would be really awkward to arrange. 
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Options
    The standard mattress is $200, a mattress protector is $50, a fitted sheet is $40, and the conversion kit is $160. You can spend that much on a standard crib mattress, but can get them as low as $40, I got two mattress protectors for $40, and 4 sets of sheets for $40. It's a good idea to layer the mattress with pad, sheet, pad, sheet so that if there's an accident in the middle of the night you just take off the top two layers and the bed is already made. If you do that with this crib, there's an extra $90. 

You also should decide how much variety you want. The sheets come in two colors...white and beige. If it were me, I'd probably graciously decline the crib and tell them that you already found one you're in love with.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker