Pittsburgh Babies
Options

St Clair

carcrashheartcarcrashheart member
edited January 2016 in Pittsburgh Babies
I know this bored is dead but I have time to wait for some responses.

Never mind the fucking bump ate my long post. Awesome. Some things never change, eh TN/TB?

So to sum up: thoughts on st Clair? I delivered at west penn last time and if I don't switch to SC then I will stay with WP. I've been told not to delver at SC and dh had an incident with their incompetence last summer, so I'm hesitant. But it's closer and leaving two kids at home to deliver makes me feel like being closer may be beneficial.
TTC #2: 12/2012
Back to our beloved RE 10/2013
BFP #5 3/5/14
Beta 1: 47. Beta 2: 87. Beta 3: 482!

Baby CCH v2.0 due 11.14.14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: St Clair

• Options
    Ugh. Ok. That's probably enough to seal the deal.

Dh was admitted there twice last year, for a week both times. The second time nobody noticed until the bag was completely empty that he had been given somebody else's bag of meds. And then the nurse came in and when I asked about it she casually shrugged it off like it was nbd. Granted, we learned that he and the other patient were on the same med, same dose, so there was no consequence. I took a picture of his bag of meds so that I could show the nurses desk (my plan had been to stop by and ask about it on my way out. I didn't expect a nurse to stop in his room before I left). I ended up calling patient advocacy the following day to discuss it and at first she was so apologetic and glad I had the info from the bag to relay to her. When she called back hours later to follow up with me she said almost nothing about the situation and spent the entire time telling me that it was a problem that I had that picture, that it violated privacy laws, and that I needed to destroy it and that they would be mailing me a letter to sign and return stating that I had in fact destroyed it. I was appalled. She said the incident was being handled. That was it. I asked dh if anyone ever discussed it further with him in the hospital or if they had advised him that his bag of meds had gone to another patient (it's possible it didn't). He said no. They spent months hounding me to sign that form and I flat out refused. Granted, they were receiving the same med so it really had no consequence on either patient. But how it was handled and the fact that it happened really didn't sit well with me.

I guess I was trying to convince myself that it was ok and human error and no big deal and that delivering there would be ok. I mean, it probably would be, but I know too many crap situations that have taken place there. I went to their er with this pregnancy and they told me that my SCH was so large that I was going to miscarry. They called my ob before discharging me and my ob told them that wasn't the case and to stop passing along incorrect information. Uuuuuuggggghhhhhhhhhh.

Ok. West penn it is. Here's hoping I don't need to visit triage several times before delivery.
    BFP #5 3/5/14

• Options
    It went well. We had unfortunate issues with nicu and peds, details I'm now fuzzy on remembering. I know it was communication issues. Our second was born at 36+6 and his blood sugars were low. I didn't know that skin to skin could possibly help that so I let them take him to nicu. I wish I hadn't. That set off a series of "well, we saw xyz with him and that *could* mean abc so we need to wait 24/48 hours before seeing if he is ok or not." So we would wait, and in the meantime something else would come up and he would get a new clock running on him. It was all preventative that wouldn't have happened if he hadn't been in the nicu. He was 100% fine in the nicu within an hour. Once he was warmed up his blood sugars were good. They didn't tell me when I was being discharged. I assumed it was Monday, since I had given birth at 7:30pm Friday. I found out 10pm Saturday that it was set for Sunday morning. My nurse all day had been more concerned with showing me how to use the peri bottle and sitz bath then telling me about discharge. I threw a fit, a nurse took pity, and had my son transferred to peds the next day so that we could room in with him. While in there we met a particularly nasty peds nurse and had issues with them not doing their job, which was also unfortunate because the weekend peds nurse had been awesome. Nicu didn't communicate with peds on some things that put more clocks on our son so we found out that his discharge was pushed back again when we were beginning to pack up and take him home. It was incredibly frustrating. It's not going to stop me from delivering there again. We were all well taken care of, just not communicated with. I spent five days in that hospital without stepping outside once and our stay was otherwise fine. I had a fast delivery. I guess the only other thing was that they never moved me to a recovery room because they didn't have any open, so I was in a large delivery room for my stay. Those rooms are bigger and nicer, so that was fine by me. Though I had to listen to women giving birth all night, but nurses come in every two hours to squeeze your abdomen, give meds, take vitals, and change your diaper, so it's not like there's much sleeping going on anyways.
    BFP #5 3/5/14

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm sorry to hear you had such an awful experience!
    I'm delivering at St. Clair, as have all of my friends, and I've only heard positive things. The birth floor is super secure, and it's smaller, which I like.. You won't be 1 of 100 delivering (like Magee, haha!). My OB only delivers there, and I love them, so it made our decision pretty easy.
    DH and I have both spent time in their ER, with no complaints.. But I can see how your past experience would make you uncomfortable. It'd be no good to stress out during labor, and for that reason alone i'd look at other options.

• Options
    Nope, Magee would never be my choice. I purposely chose high mark insurance over upmc. No interest in being at Magee ever. I think I'll be sticking with WP. I'm not concerned about secure floors. Third time around the concerns are much different than they were the first two times.
    BFP #5 3/5/14